2 3 4 5 6
docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/19/11 8:39 a.m.

Because the 370Z doesn't outperform the Cayman S?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/19/11 8:46 a.m.

I still want an old aircooled 911. But then again quirks don't bother me (I love old British cars).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/19/11 8:48 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I could not, and still can't figure out why someone would pay 80K for a Cayman when a 370Z can outperform it at 40K. Twice as much for less performance? WHY?

Depends on what you mean by performance I guess - sometimes balance and finesse are more important that outright numbers. A Cayman S is a very sweet car to drive, look at and listen to. It is just nicer to be in. I'm never going to pay 80k or even 40k for a car so the argument is not either/or its when.

I know which one of those two I'm waiting for the depreciation curve to mature on... and its not the one with the cpu controlled rev matching transmission.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/19/11 8:54 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Yeah, but I kinda felt the same way before. I could not, and still can't figure out why someone would pay 80K for a Cayman when a Boss 302 can outperform it at 40K. Twice as much for less performance? WHY?

Fixed that for you to have a car worth buying.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
5/19/11 9:26 a.m.
njansenv wrote: Funny. I read the article, grabbed my wife to show it to her, and wanted a 911 EVEN MORE. I'm >this< close to selling everything in the garage (ok, an M5 drivetrain and a engineless E30) to get one...before prices start climbing like they did on the E30 M3's I like so much. :)

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!

The answer is to put the M5 drivetrain IN the E30.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/19/11 11:50 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Because the 370Z doesn't outperform the Cayman S?

I wasn't refering to the S. A base Cayman is near twice the price of a Zed, and its slower is almost any venue. Tweak a Z just a little, and it will be quicker than the Alligator S.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/19/11 11:51 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: Yeah, but I kinda felt the same way before. I could not, and still can't figure out why someone would pay 80K for a Cayman when a Boss 302 can outperform it at 40K. Twice as much for less performance? WHY?
Fixed that for you to have a car worth buying.

Good answer. I agree.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/19/11 11:56 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Because the 370Z is ugly?

I refuse to acknowledge your reality, and instead insert my own. 370 is pretty. 350 is uggo.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
5/19/11 4:53 p.m.

<"While not a deal killer, the stock fuel injection also requires a bit of driver participation. (driver participation?) The Bosch system injects the the correctly metered air/fuel mixture into the airbox; touch the throttle during warmup, however, and there's a good chance the box will simply blow up.

My '75 BMW 530i did that when my brother who was used to carbed cars started it. Made a gasket,hose clamped it together & drove it like that until dealer tech noticed it & told me there was a warrenty fix for that.

Scott
Scott Dork
5/19/11 4:58 p.m.

911s certainly have their place in the world but even the last of the air cooled models never let you forget the car was designed in the '60s. Nevertheless, everyone should one at some point in life.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
5/21/11 9:54 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Let me begin by saying I'm not a fan of Porsches. BTDT got the Tshirt, etc. My wife and I both hated every minute of ownership. Felt it was a glorified VW. I just got the latest issue where they gave a buying guide for Porsche. We sat there and read these comments out loud to each other and laughed until tears ran down our faces. You have to buy into the "mystique" of the Porsche to read or say these items and still have any desire for a Porsche. To me the best one was: "While not a deal killer, the stock fuel injection also requires a bit of driver participation. (driver participation?) The Bosch system injects the the correctly metered air/fuel mixture into the airbox; touch the throttle during warmup, however, and there's a good chance the box will simply blow up. Yeah, that's just some of the loveable quirkiness of the adorable Porsche. My wife liked the $425 spark plug wires and the $1,600 master cylinder. Those are some of our fond memories of Porsche. On another car before the owner said "If aliens abducted the car tonight, he would buy another but it would be any color but red - black or brown would be swell" he told us that in the GRM spirit you could get that $1,600 master cylinder sleeved for ONLY $275! Then he proceeded to tell us the A/C sucks. The wipers suck. The slapped on third brake light blocks his view in the mirror. Under advice to potential owners he said "There is no place to set a coffee. The car is quirky (there's that word again. I suppose it means living with the third world weirdness makes him a real macho, man's man and the chicks ought to love me for my car cause I can't get near them any other way) and you have to learn to drive it differently, especially if you plan to take it to the track. ALL THE CONTROLS ARE IN THE WRONG PLACES. It has a smell - oil and heat is the best I can approximate, but occasionally you get a whiff of gas. The heat works, sometimes even when you'd rather it not. The A/C really doesn't unless it's cold outside. The driving position is effective but strange. The wheel is too close to the dash and the pedals fold into the floor like the ones on an old Beetle.......The radio will never have any bass no matter what you do, but that doesn't matter - you won't get any reception anyway. Remove the engine is the first step in any nontrivial maintenance work. If any of this sound daunting then perhaps you should reconsider. Yup, I definitely want a Porsche to sit right by my Harley and I'll sit beside them both sipping on expensive wine and expounding upon all the rich, wonderful and strange flavors that only I am good enough to taste in my glass of spoiled grape juice. This is all an attempt to justify to myself why I spent so much money on any and all of these items. While constantly chanting "I am not a putz. I am not a putz. I am not a putz." Any one of the three and especially all three together is a cry for help. It's telling the world that you want to be liked or loved so badly that you'll do just about anything to get attention. I am sorry if I haven't offended all of you. I tried.

feh..

Porsches don't have anything on BMW motorcycles

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
5/21/11 5:33 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: I would love to own and drive a vintage 911, but I don't think I could bring myself to become a Porsche owner. It's the same reason I'll never drive an Acura, Audi, a new BMW, or a newer VW. The group of people I'd be inserting myself into is just not for me.

Then stick to driving your veggie oil powered Rabbit and let the rest of us discuss enthusiast vehicles. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were found at various Porsche club events.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/21/11 8:06 p.m.

My some of my favorite DE instructors have been Porsche club racers. Like any big car club, there are wankers and there are guys worth getting to know.

plance1
plance1 Dork
5/21/11 8:54 p.m.

There was a guy I remember from a few years ago who managed a local Kroger store, he owned a early to mid 80's red porsche. He was a little shorter then most and had a well-coiffed hairdo with highlights.

I agree with Carguy to a degree, I've never been sure if 911's are for enthusiasts or posers. I think they are cars that everyone thinks are great but might not be, I prefer cars that most dismiss but are better than people think. My old 914 comes to mind. Most laughed and said it was just a volkswagen, I didn't care, it was a fun car.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
5/21/11 10:04 p.m.
forzav12 wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: I would love to own and drive a vintage 911, but I don't think I could bring myself to become a Porsche owner. It's the same reason I'll never drive an Acura, Audi, a new BMW, or a newer VW. The group of people I'd be inserting myself into is just not for me.
Then stick to driving your veggie oil powered Rabbit and let the rest of us discuss enthusiast vehicles. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were found at various Porsche club events.

Absolutely, 100% agreed. I bought a Porsche simply because the PCA people were so nice. Some of the SCCA guys are sticks in the mud by comparison.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
5/21/11 10:22 p.m.

I like cars.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/21/11 10:31 p.m.

I like pie

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
5/22/11 12:53 a.m.

I've figured it out.......carguy123 is Clarkson and nderwater is the stig!!!

rotard
rotard New Reader
5/22/11 3:52 a.m.
plance1 wrote: There was a guy I remember from a few years ago who managed a local Kroger store, he owned a early to mid 80's red porsche. He was a little shorter then most and had a well-coiffed hairdo with highlights. I agree with Carguy to a degree, I've never been sure if 911's are for enthusiasts or posers. I think they are cars that everyone thinks are great but might not be, I prefer cars that most dismiss but are better than people think. My old 914 comes to mind. Most laughed and said it was just a volkswagen, I didn't care, it was a fun car.

Lol, irony.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/22/11 7:55 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I've figured it out.......carguy123 is Clarkson and nderwater is the stig!!!

What gave it away? My rapier like wit or my girth?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/22/11 8:45 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: I've figured it out.......carguy123 is Clarkson and nderwater is the stig!!!

What do you think?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
5/22/11 9:44 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
What do you think?

Oh cool! There's a baby Clarkson on the way.

BTW now I know you HAVE been window peeping!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/22/11 10:16 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
docwyte wrote: Because the 370Z doesn't outperform the Cayman S?
I wasn't refering to the S. A base Cayman is near twice the price of a Zed, and its slower is almost any venue. Tweak a Z just a little, and it will be quicker than the Alligator S.
But you did say $40K for the Z and $80K for the Cayman. A base Cayman is $52K. How is that 2 times the Z price?

Okay, so I was a little off, I apologize about that mishap. I am not really shopping for Caymans, so I was wrong about the MSRP of the base. That said, try to find a Cayman for 52 out the door TTL, it's impossible. Most of them are over 60 depending upon options. There are plenty of Zs (or Boss 302s for that matter) sitting on lots with 40,000 TTL on the window! Even if you could find a base cayman for 52, the extra 12K is a big jump for less performance.

Can't justify a new Porsche even if I was looking for a 2 seat sports car.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
5/22/11 11:11 a.m.
plance1 wrote: There was a guy I remember from a few years ago who managed a local Kroger store, he owned a early to mid 80's red porsche. He was a little shorter then most and had a well-coiffed hairdo with highlights. I agree with Carguy to a degree, I've never been sure if 911's are for enthusiasts or posers. I think they are cars that everyone thinks are great but might not be, I prefer cars that most dismiss but are better than people think. My old 914 comes to mind. Most laughed and said it was just a volkswagen, I didn't care, it was a fun car.

911's not for enthusiasts? Not great cars? Maybe you should stop checking out the guys that drive them and actually try one yourself. Or maybe do a little research-I recommend reading about the 911's race history, numerous books, magazines(and not just the one's promoting crapcans) and perhaps interviewing drivers ,designers and collectors.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
5/22/11 11:17 a.m.

I find 911's interesting, like any oddball thing that probably shouldn't have been.

My threshold for what I'm willing to pay is too low though. I'd probably be willing to pay as much as $5,000 for something like an air-cooled Porsche.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xJCTtV6O9AD54ZEWjYgwHOt7N2yj6D5ojSAUhDqPR2x4mBG2HDKkN1rJzHK35CxK