MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/9/09 12:06 p.m.

I've found what may be a really good deal on a GM 6.5 diesel truck, which I'd mostly use as a very occasional driver, parts chaser, tow vehicle, that sort of thing if I got it. What sort of things would I need to look out for on one of these trucks? Any particular weak points?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
10/9/09 12:08 p.m.

Change the fuel filter religiously. Keep a good pair of batteries in it. Drive it until it explodes.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
10/9/09 12:37 p.m.

I have one and I love it. They run hot, and there is what's called a pump mounted driver (PMD) attached to the injection pump. when it begins to fail it will mimic a failing injection pump ($$$). Basically it bakes itself in the valley of the engine. It needs to be relocated to a cooler spot. I did mine with a kit by Heathdiesel, it's now located in the front bumper.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Reader
10/9/09 12:45 p.m.

These trucks are better than there reputation would have you believe. Is it a turbo? Several of these have gone through the family with 200k

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/9/09 1:29 p.m.

My father in law bought one new and drove it 200k miles. It never did an honest day's work in it's life, just a 15 mile commute to work and back. It went through 4 injector pumps, two starters, two alternators, and about six batteries in 15 years. fwiw.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/9/09 1:31 p.m.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! If it hasn't been sold, I will see if I can go and have a look at it tomorrow. I think it's a turbo model.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
10/9/09 1:32 p.m.

so he changed batteries 3 timesin 15 years? WHat's the secret? Ican't keep one over 3 and it's done.

M030
M030 Reader
10/9/09 1:41 p.m.

My 6.5 Turbo diesel blew up in a way I had never seen before. The turbo impeller broke apart and got sucked into the intake.

I'm sure it's uncommon, but since you're talking about GM 6.5 diesels, it seemed like a good time to finally tell that story.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/9/09 1:43 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: so he changed batteries 3 timesin 15 years? WHat's the secret? Ican't keep one over 3 and it's done.

He would only change one at a time and always buy the best DieHard available for the application.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/10/09 9:06 a.m.

They made a turbo 6.5?

I had an N/A 6.5 Suburban, and there was NOTHING that could take me off the line. Of course, a pedestrian would pass me once that thing shifted into 2nd, and it maxxed out at 57mph (you could eek it up to 59 if you accelerated slowly, and it'd do 62 when I was carrying my spare 302 in the back. I think that was more due to something wrong in the transfercase, though).

Got ~20mpg with it.

It wasn't a bad truck, but I don't think I'd ever get another one.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/10/09 9:15 a.m.
M030 wrote: My 6.5 Turbo diesel blew up in a way I had never seen before. The turbo impeller broke apart and got sucked into the intake. I'm sure it's uncommon, but since you're talking about GM 6.5 diesels, it seemed like a good time to finally tell that story.

I've seen so many of these it would make your eyeballs hurt. Generally the issue is oil starvation to the turbo bearings due to many hot shutdowns. Sometimes you'll have inclusions in the impeller casting(parts are x-rayed before assembly) and you also sometimes have bore or back face imperfections from machining. The imperfections are hard to detect afterward. You'll also get some balance failures as well, when an operator "missed" a balance op. I've seen some wacky stuff...

Ohh yeah the 6.5 isn't a bad engine. It's not stellar, but it really isn't that bad at all. My buddy had a 6.2 non turbo in a 3/4 ton 92-93 chevy. It was slow, but solid.

p.s. my failure discussions stuff was not meant to reflect poorly on the 6.5. Merely relating some stories from a previous job where I did development work for a turbo company. Turbo failures are semi common, just not very catastrophic ones. They do run at near 100krpm and can operate at 1200 degF or more; pretty extreme environment. My viewpoint is skewed.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/10/09 9:19 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: They made a turbo 6.5?

6.2 was non-turbo. 6.5 was turbo.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
10/10/09 10:02 a.m.

Good ol Ignorant living up to his username...

There were turbo and nonturbo 6.2s and turbo and nonturbo 6.5s.

The turbo 6.2s were typically done with a Banks Sidewinder kit, available as a dealer installed option, so there are quite a few out there.

The NT 6.5s are uncommon but do exist. The 6.5 is basically a 6.2 with a bigger bore.

Most 6.5s are turbocharged. They are great light duty diesels as long as you (and the PO) kept up on maintenance. While they wont run circles around a Cummins just by virtue of their design (indirect injection vs direct injection), they do deliver adequate power and exceptional economy. I dont have much bad to say about them. Relocate the PMD, keep the fuel filters and batteries new, change or check the glow plugs before winter, and rock and roll!

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/10/09 10:02 a.m.

i thought 6.5 came in NA and turbo versions?...

grew up with a 6.2L... it ate trans, and starters... and was slow... but got 18-19mpg no matter what you did with it... I still miss it... learned to drive int hat beast ('82 4x4)... i'd love a newer 6.5 to do a veggie conversion on :)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/10/09 10:31 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Good ol Ignorant living up to his username... There were turbo and nonturbo 6.2s and turbo and nonturbo 6.5s.

banks sidewinder kit = not from GM...

non turbo 6.5? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

ok maybe in Heavy duty applications that noone will see in a standard 3/4 ton truck.. sorry i missed some weird kinda errata. Obviously this now makes my comment worthless and invalidates my entire life.

Maybe you should change your name to comic book guy.. cause most of your comments are in the same vein.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/10/09 10:46 a.m.
ignorant wrote: Maybe you should change your name to comic book guy.. cause most of your comments are in the same vein.

burn!

i did see a suburban for sale the other day with an n/a 6.5

curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
10/10/09 3:35 p.m.

Get a kit to relocate the computer where it won't get heat. That kills them.

Otherwise, drive it. Fine engines. Certainly no powerstroke, duramax or cummins, but they're just fine.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
10/10/09 9:56 p.m.

I feel served based on your reference of wikipedia. Obviously they are the de facto source on 6.5 diesel info. How about instead of being a wiki search thug, you get out there and spin some wrenches and post about real life and not just what you read on the system of tubes. The best part about the internets is anyone can be an expert.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/11/09 6:25 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: I feel served based on your reference of wikipedia. \

sorry you misunderstood, I myself was saying you are correct. I'd never heard of the things at all. Wikipedia and the 6.3-6.5 page show you are right.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/11/09 8:18 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback... unfortunately someone beat me to buying it.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
10/11/09 8:29 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Thanks for the feedback... unfortunately someone beat me to buying it.

You should than them, they go out and buy a Dodge with the Cummins. Now THAT'S a diesel motor. I just sold mine with 355K on the clock. The trans was re-built at about 150K with stronger internals. Other than that, it's just needed maintenance. The starter is still original! It'll pull 10K lbs. all day long and even with that load return 17 mpg!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
10/11/09 8:32 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: How about instead of being a wiki search thug, you get out there and spin some wrenches and post about real life and not just what you read on the system of tubes. The best part about the internets is anyone can be an expert.

It's ok 93GSXturbo. I'm angry too. I missed attending The Challenge.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
10/11/09 9:50 a.m.

Cummins 5.9 12 Valve >all.

After owning a Cummins 12 valve, 6.5 TD, and a Powerstroke and having a Dmax and a 24V Cummins as a work truck I can make this statement.

curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
10/11/09 10:55 a.m.

I'm with you gsxturbo.

I used to maintain a fleet of a few hundred trucks for a utility company. We had them all in every possible form. As long as you can keep a tranny behind it, the 12v was the best of the best. I'd follow it closely with the Duramax and 7.3 'stroke

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/5/11 8:34 p.m.

help stop canoes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I5CI9EZWlfG3GCPqJDsGq9TuOriUQVs7TUIGRZjhY1XbQzqDqKP9Etp8TKwPzler