integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/21/11 1:03 p.m.

An online auto news source reports today that GM is considering re-opening one of it's factories for the production of "re-badged" Opel Astras to be sold in the U.S. at Buick dealers. IF, if, this does happen, don't run down to your Buick store and try to get on a waiting list. Earliest on sale date would be 2014.

Considering GM has "given" Buick a version of the Chevy Cruze, admittedly, with different styling and drivetrain, I'm surprised they didn't go the same route and give Buick a version of the Sonic sedan.

One of the cars I think I would like to at least try to wrangle a test drive in is an Astra, as it gets (generally) good reviews from past owners. It's a BIG drag that a good car was pulled from the market after 1 year.

oobert
oobert New Reader
9/21/11 2:05 p.m.

The Buick Verano is actually based off the Chevy sonic sedan. They're both built at the plant in Lake Orion, MI. The regal is also a rebadged Opel Insignia.

I could see them using a lot of Opel's engineering stateside to bring some European luxury to that brand.

I also agree, the astra seemed like a good vehicle. It's just a shame that it didn't really market very well here, as most wagons / hatchbacks don't tend to do well here.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
9/21/11 2:10 p.m.

I must say the Saturn Astra was one GM car I could have seen myself buying at one time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/21/11 3:24 p.m.

I'll add that the last few Buicks to pass through here have been impressive.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/21/11 5:24 p.m.

oobert:

I'm afraid you are mistaken, the Buick Verano is based on the Chevy Cruze sedan, not the just about to hit showrooms Chevy Sonic. Aside from the body styling, the Buick will use the NON-turbo (at least for now) version of GM's 2.4 4 cylinder engine, instead of the 1.4 turbo and 1.8 NA 4 cylinder engines the Cruze AND Sonic both use. It has been "suggested" that the Verano will also be available with a manual transmission, for those customers who want it, but I would imagine that once again Buick DEALERS will squash any enthusiasm for that transmission.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7GPu1KjzzQKbqHZw4U3ekRVRoH9XPYJKOiwbmefoDpgyOgEaUNAxdQO6ekDj77nI