Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
2/29/12 7:48 a.m.

A fuel pump that refuses to burn out? Race down to the last gallon in your tank? Check out the update in the link below to learn more. It's not easy, but it IS good. We encourage your feedback both here in this thread as well as on the update page. You can vote the project up/down as well. Thank you for looking /Steve

Fuel Pump Module Tech http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1968-chevrolet-camaro/building-custom-efi-fuel-system/

If you have bookmarked our message board, you might have missed out on prior updates.

General Project Page http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1968-chevrolet-camaro/

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/29/12 7:45 p.m.

Definitely pretty sweet hardware, but looked pretty pricy when I was checking out the vaporwork site last week. How much did you have wrapped up into the tank install, all said and done?

Something to note, the fabrication looked pretty good, but I didn't see anything supporting the plastic fuel lines between the pickups (through the Y) and the pump. If left to vibrate around without any support, the plastic hose will eventually wear through, negating the effect of those fancy magic socks in the corners of the tank. It may be a pain in the ass to "fix" if you didn't include any support now that the tank is all welded up, but something worth thinking about.

Bryce

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/29/12 8:14 p.m.

First, I think its the right way to go. No matter what aftermarket manufacturers say, their stuff is not built to the same standard that is required of the OE's.

Second, I make quite a lot of money every year changing GM fuel pump modules, so the "refusing to burn out" may be a bit of a stretch.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/29/12 8:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Second, I make quite a lot of money every year changing GM fuel pump modules, so the "refusing to burn out" may be a bit of a stretch.

Do you do it on applications with this type of pump+pickup, or a different style....?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/29/12 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Nashco:

GM has used a fuel pump module for over a decade. It sounds like this one is a newer style setup that I am not familiar with. I stand by my statement, though, since I have replaced electric fuel pumps of every style and manufacturer. Ain't nobody never made a perfect one yet.

Steve Chryssos
3/1/12 8:39 a.m.

Total cost is obfuscated by buddy barter system. Here's what I know:

-Sheet of Stainless: $100

-Labor to cut and bend at local duct shop during the Saturday of a holiday weekend (which was awesome): $50

-Labor to weld: Beer / Pizza / Beer I can hardly be trusted with a Bic lighter.

-5 gen camaro pump module $250

-4th gen regulator swap from Rock Auto: $51

-Fuel Pump Module Lock Ring $15 (?)

-Retroworx module mounting kit $250

Roughly $700 plus beer for a SS tank

It's about half to two thirds the cost of a done tank. Goal, however, was to fit the unusual hole and cradle in my trunk. Any cost savings were accidental on my part.

Steve Chryssos
3/1/12 8:42 a.m.

Some anti slosh foam will prevent abrasion. Are the 5th gen pumps proving reliable? I'm guessing that most pump module failures are the result of operator negligence.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/1/12 8:54 a.m.

Are you running the driver box for the pump or just full on all the time?

Steve Chryssos
3/1/12 9:03 a.m.

Full on all the time with a leak at 58psi. No return line.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/1/12 9:17 a.m.

Very cool looking project and much like I've been told over and over won't work. Either I'm a visionary or there are some issues when one pick up or the other starts sucking air. I'm told the air is easier to suck than fuel and therefore the multiple pickup system can't work.

Why didn't you recess the pickups down into a lower area &/or add some baffling?

Steve Chryssos
3/1/12 9:46 a.m.

The naysaying is understandable. I did my share of head-scratching as well. There are three pickups. The outriggers are secondary, while the main pickup is right in the module along with a built in sump. The pickups all work together, but the main pickup and reserve is the heart of the system. Of course, you can still run it dry.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/1/12 11:43 a.m.

The outrigger pumps run constantly, whether they pump fluid or air. When one is in air, the other is filling the reservoir, and pushing the air out the top. I have been thinking about a system similar to this, but using a remote reservoir for the main pump to draw from. This looks like a pretty good answer, particularly from a packaging standpoint. I like it.

Steve Chryssos
3/1/12 12:56 p.m.

This video might help. Just make sure you tinkle before watching. You can also search "GM Fuel Pump Module Venturi Pumps".

Not a bad addition to a 44 year old turd. Next chapter is plumbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWF2SJSnVok

Knurled
Knurled Dork
3/1/12 1:28 p.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: (stuff stuff) Roughly $700 plus beer for a SS tank It's about half to two thirds the cost of a done tank. Goal, however, was to fit the unusual hole and cradle in my trunk. Any cost savings were accidental on my part.

Or you get an external VW pump assembly from, say, a 16v Golf, and you get a pump nestled in a 1-liter surge tank. You use generally ANY fuel pump to pull fuel from the fuel tank into the surge tank (including those $34.99 rattleboxes from Autozone) and you're done.

Anything with CIS has a monster fuel pump, the 16v has the monster-est. The beauty is that it's entirely self contained, you just stick the box under the car and run four hoses to it - two to the engine and two to the fuel tank.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aczqOU4cM0ZYKHBDnhquJvR0omgfHXohJ8EYXxJLRi76F9GyCfLBcKIxceTrfxSY