1 2
4Msfam
4Msfam New Reader
3/18/10 7:29 p.m.

My wife and I had a chance to take our girls to the local K1speed indoor kart track this week. Although I was a bit scared that my eldest wouldn't like it (she's a VERY cautious girl...), they both had a blast! I took the 14 yr old to an outdoor track with a TaG kart last summer... I could've ran around the track faster than she drove... but THIS time, she got it all together, and ran some times only 3 seconds or so off of my wife's and I's times... AND discovered that she "loves" to drift the kart around corners.

I think the electric karts made the driving a little less intimidating somehow to both of them. I think I spent $200.00 that evening... couldn't get them off the track!

Tom's article in the latest GRM inspired me... I'd like to do more racing with them.. and think maybe getting my own kart to run in AX might be more cost effective then going to the indoor rental track. I've been waiting awhile to be able to get myself back into autocross (WAY back when, used to run street prepared with a 86 civic Si). I have buy in from the wife, "as long as I actually do it with the girls!" Yes Ma'mam!!

So what kind of kart do you need to be able to run the local Autocross (we live in Seattle, so NW region)? I don't want to turn the girls loose in a shifter Kart, TaG's seem a bit more reasonable.. but it still hurts to think I could probably buy a beater car for less to run AX IF they both had their learner permits, which they don't.. which leads again to a Kart.

Anybody have ideas of what kart would be AX legal, affordable (used), and safe for the kids (not too powerful)? You can't run those yard karts, can you? Thanks! Marc

shadetree30
shadetree30 New Reader
3/18/10 7:33 p.m.

Back in the day (and it may still be so) you couldn't run karts in SCCA competition. Don't remember about autocross.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/18/10 7:41 p.m.

while we "car guys" " HATE" carts j/k they are "welcome" at a-x...

hope you understand the joking intent... some think carts don't belong and while we all chafe at the down time I can't think of any way that is better at getting youngsters interested in our addiction

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
3/18/10 8:31 p.m.

4Ms...look into the Formula Junior classes (FJA, FJB, FJC). the difference between them is driver age and engine size, i think.

we have a bunch of them in Philly region, and now a bunch of 125cc shifter karts. a few guys have sold their autoX cars and bought karts; big kart for dad, small kart(s) for the kid (or kids). seems like a great way to spend quality family time. the kids have been racing against each other for a few seasons now and seem to love it.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/18/10 9:03 p.m.

Check out the autox forum on EKartingNews for information on legal karts for the classes and the classified section. Also check with your region and see if they have other people that are running karts who can give you some tips on where to look locally.

skierd
skierd Dork
3/18/10 9:18 p.m.

At their age, get a full size chassis. They should be big enough to fit in them and won't out grow them. There's a decent kart racing scene in the PacNW, look for local tracks and shops and see what's popular before making a decision.

http://scca.org/documents/Solo_Rules/2010_scca_solo_rules.pdf pg 147

They'll run in FJA I think, where you'll have 4 engine choices, two 2-strokes (Yamaha KT100 and Rotax Mini Max) and two 4-strokes (Briggs Raptor - avoid it, and Briggs World Formula) with with their own minimum weight.

The rotax's are the longest lasting typically, but the most expensive to rebuild partially because they have to be rebuilt and resealed by an authorized center and partially because they're fancier, more powerful, etc. Being TAG is nice though, especially if they spin on course. If they stick with it or want to go road racing, its a simple upgrade to full Rotax TAG specs. Rebuilds every few years for autocross use (top ends at 25hours, full rebuilds at 50 hours). Batteries can fail and get expensive.

The Briggs WF also has an on-board starter, more torque but less overall HP, and is a little more maintenance heavy than the Rotax if memory serves.

KT100's rev to the moon if built right and are time bombs. They're also the cheapest option, relatively. Require an external starter. Clutches can get expensive. Pipe's get expensive. Tuning can be finicky. Can be rebuilt at home for about $100 for a top end, might be needed once a season for autoX use but much more often if racing.

For Dad of course, F125's is simply awesomely fun to drive.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/18/10 9:21 p.m.

We love our FJs over here in Atl. Region. They have their own session, and it's like watching Little League. People come out of the paddock to watch. Participants include the daughter of Tim Smith, National Champion in ST.

EDIT: I'm not sure if adults can run karts, tho. I know I haven't seen one locally.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
3/18/10 9:40 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: EDIT: I'm not sure if adults can run karts, tho. I know I haven't seen one locally.

really? you don't have anyone running in F125?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/18/10 9:45 p.m.

I am thinking that I need to get into F125. I would be the only one in the region...

4Msfam
4Msfam New Reader
3/18/10 10:27 p.m.

Hey, thanks guys! Looks like my little one would run Fjb and the big one FJA.. and F125 for me ! I'll definetely check with the NW region first to see if they allow the classes to run... I didn't see anything in the quick review of the rulebook in the cart section (except for the bantum Kart class for 5-7 y.o) that says there needs to be special conditions to run.. but I didn't read the whole document. http://www.pacificgp.com/ On Wednesdays it's all day lapping day... bring your own car, for approx $100.00 for the day... seems like a good way to dial in one's car... They also have rental karts... but it adds up so quickly!

The whole AX thing appeals to me because of the decreased risk of wheel / wheel contact in their formalitive stages.... Mama would be happier too! We do have a great kart track in the NW here if anyone's interested btw... P

Time to start researching used carts! If Tim' reading... what kind of kart did you use for Tommy? Marc

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
3/19/10 12:24 a.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: EDIT: I'm not sure if adults can run karts, tho. I know I haven't seen one locally.
really? you don't have anyone running in F125?

Yes we do... His name is Byron Day.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
3/19/10 1:27 a.m.

Karts are Kool

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
3/19/10 5:43 a.m.

Shameless plug. I have a Kart for sale as a roller in the classifieds I posted a couple days ago.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
3/19/10 8:31 a.m.

You're looking for an upright "Sprint Kart" frame.

I had a full size frame from the time I was 8. They are easy to adjust, and it can grow with you.

I started on a gasoline Briggs Raptor. It was plenty fast, but it could have been faster. So we switched to a Raptor running Methonal. It was even faster.

Eventually, I moved up to a fully balanced and blueprinted KT100. IMHO, that was the most fun. Fairly cheap and easy to work on, too.

Tires are cheap and last long.

Have fun.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
3/19/10 9:24 a.m.

They run occaisionally in our region. Best thing I saw was kid running a non-racing, standard style gocart. lime green tube frame, pull start motor like we all had 25 years ago. It wasn't fast but he'd put it sideways at every turn and even spun it all the way around at the finish to hugh applause. Then his grandad strapped the kart to the motor cover of his beat up karman ghia to drive home. it was beautiful.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
3/19/10 9:47 a.m.

do it. I hope my son will be in to karts when he gets older.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/19/10 8:49 p.m.

In reply to atlantamx3:

Thanks, Perry! I knew someone would know better than I..

skierd
skierd Dork
3/19/10 10:43 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: I am thinking that I need to get into F125. I would be the only one in the region...

Not for long I bet. Karts are stupid fun, ridiculously fast, and in racing terms (especially autocross) stupid cheap.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/19/10 10:57 p.m.

check with your local regions before committing. Some allow karts, some don't. Or you may have to travel a bit. Our region allows karts (looks like they'll be popular this year) but another region nearby doesn't, so one guy and his son drive an hour+ to Philly events.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/19/10 11:15 p.m.

Around here, when the carts run all cars must be stopped. They are too hard to see and would be easy to back over, so all cars are parked and shut off. I have never heard anyone complain, you just get out and watch the cart rip it up!

4Msfam
4Msfam New Reader
3/20/10 12:36 a.m.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear back from the region. My question to the novice chair has been forwarded up the line. I think perhaps karts haven't been run here prior. I'll have to wait and see. I'll update as I find out

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
3/20/10 11:48 a.m.

hmmm posssibly the closest i'll ever come to a real racing car. Maybe an F125 is in my future.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/10/11 9:36 a.m.
Rad_Capz wrote: Shameless plug. I have a Kart for sale as a roller in the classifieds I posted a couple days ago.

link?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
3/10/11 12:50 p.m.

I've run a KT100 at a bunch of autocrosses and some track racing. I would definitely recommend it. They are simple, tons of fun, and only require thousands of dollars if you really want to, otherwise just run it and have fun.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/10/11 1:04 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Rad_Capz wrote: Shameless plug. I have a Kart for sale as a roller in the classifieds I posted a couple days ago.
link?

You think it's still for sale a year later?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gtlVf4FaVYQo6xDnyGcJiZjQ7vpZyUP2yoS6a12O9KWJPxKqZQrt0gfpn9qU8Fzn