1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/17/19 6:59 p.m.

So I got a civic for free. 95 two door with a manual. 220K on the body about 100K on the drivertrain. New starter/clutch/radiator/plugs and steering in the last 10K miles. Done mostly by me. It has intake, exhaust and a full set of skunk2 coilovers on it and it drives really well. Been stolen about 10 times in the last 5 years though doors has been ripped open with a crowbar and they took a crowbar to the key a week ago. Already drilled it out and fixed that.

Its rough on the inside but no rust. no crash damage and well its a manual. I could flip it for ~1K with some elbow grease or spend about 400$ on and donate it to a local charity for use but its been through it might not be good enough for them. So how terrible would it be to chop this thing up and build a ghettocet. Or would it be a good car to hand off to a local kid for 500$ and help he do a swap it it. Or just clean it up and keep it around as a reliable dog carrier if I pull the seats out. Sell it for 500-600$ to a Lemons team? Can you run a gettocet if it has fenders in Lemons.

Its going to have the interior pulled this weekend and I am going to power wash the tar out of it. Deserves at least that so its drivable but anything really fun you can do with these things. Anybody make a exocet style kit that works with the Civic parts. Kit car anything like that. I am bored and my normal cars are running just fine right now and they need to be shown what happens if they don't.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/17/19 7:00 p.m.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/17/19 8:48 p.m.

J swap j swap j swap j swap

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/17/19 8:53 p.m.

That’s $2000+ up here in rustville

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/17/19 8:57 p.m.

So, you got a free track car?

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury New Reader
4/17/19 9:13 p.m.

Would be a nice reliable car for someone that can drive a manual. My 97 Accord is still running it's original powertrain and rusty body with 252,000 miles... Maybe sell it cheap to someone that needs a good car but is low on funds? Put the $ from the sale into parts for one of your other cars. If I wasn't over 2,000 miles away and didn't already have several cars I'd buy it to DD. 

Also a good car to train people to drive MT.  First MT car I really drove for more than just a short drive around the block was my buddies 03 Civic. If you have nicer cars and want to teach a friend/relative to drive stick but don't want them trashing your good car, you could keep it around for that.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
4/17/19 9:22 p.m.

Man people like to steal those Civics!

I say turn it into an autocross rat, unless you already have a car you autocross. Either way, congrats!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/17/19 10:09 p.m.

I vote sell it for $500 to a lemons team or sell it for <$1k after investing as little effort as possible. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/17/19 10:11 p.m.
Robbie said:

J swap j swap j swap j swap

Yeah that has been tossed around a bit. I do have a H22A that I can get my hands on with transmission for about 500$ and some beer as well.

CyberEric said:

Man people like to steal those Civics!

I say turn it into an autocross rat, unless you already have a car you autocross. Either way, congrats!

Yes they do its a huge problem, expecialy for hatches. I have several cars to autocross and this is "slightly" underpowered for what I normally like to trak.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
4/17/19 10:21 p.m.

It’s a perfect Lemons car.  Cage it, or sell it to someone who will.  Compared to the 98 LeSabre that we made into a Lemons car, it would actually be fun to drive.

Another fun option would be to make it into a rally pig.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/17/19 10:26 p.m.

California rally series, fwd class?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
4/17/19 10:31 p.m.

Is there a Gambler 500 near you? 

Could still do rally cross.

Adjust the coilovers high, fit snow or all terrains on steel trims. LED lights,  hoon around in dirt roads. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
4/17/19 10:48 p.m.

Almost seems like it would be mean to give it to someone with genuine need, because of the likelihood of it being stolen from them :(

LeMons preparation might make the car quite a bit less attractive to thieves.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/17/19 11:56 p.m.

Spoon engine. On top of that a T66 turbo with NOS and a MoTec system and exhaust.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/18/19 4:02 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

Is there a Gambler 500 near you? 

Could still do rally cross.

Adjust the coilovers high, fit snow or all terrains on steel trims. LED lights,  hoon around in dirt roads. 

Rallycross is something I am looking at. I would keep it for dog use at the same time and keep it moderately street legal. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/18/19 4:41 p.m.

Lift it and run Barstow to Vegas along the powerline road.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
4/19/19 5:13 a.m.

B16 + LSD trans + suspension(koni/springs/bushings) + lightweight 15" wheel/tire track combo = fun/reliable/cheap track day car.

Or K20 swap it and have a total monster. See Speed Academy on youtube.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/19/19 6:08 a.m.

What engine is in there now?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/19/19 8:28 a.m.

2nd (or 3rd) the rallycross suggestion.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/19/19 11:43 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

What engine is in there now?

B15Z5 I believe. Its the 16 valve non VTEC motor. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
4/19/19 12:29 p.m.

I vote CRVTEC (B20 short block, B16A2 head) swap with an eBay turbo kit. Cheap, gnarly fast, reasonably reliable.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/19/19 12:41 p.m.

I know almost nothing about this, but does it qualify for FWD 4 cylinder circle track stuff?  That or rally would be my vote for a free car. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
4/19/19 1:39 p.m.

Holset HX35 and ebay manifold if you really want to party

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
4/20/19 5:45 a.m.

I would go with a rallycross or Lemons track car, personally.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
4/21/19 7:49 a.m.

If you were closer I’d offer you cash now. Crank windows to boot! I’m looking for a good manual trans car to teach drainoil jr  how to drive. You by chance coming to the Midwest anytime soon?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWnAvvAJL9AzSEW9R9p0PNRbc1omQC9wi8lfPhrdv011dqAVl462DO7QiI3mlFJH