1 2
mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
7/11/09 7:08 a.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: i like the one about the PVC pipe cage... haha, thats a good one

Apparently someone had tried something similar...the DC Region/Summit Point Drivers' School used to have a Friday night classroom session and one of the test questions referred to the use of electrical conduit being acceptable for roll cages...

Wally
Wally SuperDork
7/11/09 9:05 a.m.

I always thought that foam was a rust repair material. To check displacement on an engine at a lot of circle tracks thay use what's called a puffer. It screws into a spark plug hole and you crank the motor like a compression test and it measures the displacement. When they would tell my father which plug to pull he would add about half a pack of Marboros. Apparently that made the difference between legal and not and would burn up and blow out the exhaust once the car was started. When we had our Busch North car on day Nascar decided to measure the thickness of the Truck arms on the rear suspension. They had changed some spec on how thick they had to be. One team still had old ones, and was told to weld on additional metal. They cut two long strips of cardboard and made little beads of JB Weld to hold it on. Once it was painted they looked legal and ran the rest of the season.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/16/09 11:08 a.m.

A former employer told me a story about how they had a two car team and one car was the winner and always passed tech, because it was within the bounds. The other car on the team had the engine that wouldn't pass tech, pushed winning car to the front, and then always seemed to fade at the end and finish just outside the post-race-tech requirement. Bump drafting FTW, quite literally.

Clem

curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
7/16/09 10:03 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I despise outright cheating,to me it destroys the activity/sport. It is a travesty when an inferior racer who is cheating beats a more talented racer who is saddled with what seems to be the heaviest and most detrimental ballast of all;honesty.

I agree completely, but that's also one of the things I love about racing. I raced once at a dirt track where the only rules were no more than 360 cubes and no more than 155 psi cranking pressure. Many of the guys sneaked past by using a decharged battery or a slower starter, but I think that's fine. The rules don't say "at least 12.5v" or "must use a starter of no less than X rpm"

I think that finding ways to get an advantage while conforming to rules is one of the greatest paths to education and ingenuity. I've seen some pretty smart things happen by custom tuning cam timing events to stay under 155 psi but still make killer power.

But I agree... if the rules say "no foam in the rocker panels" and they sneak past because the tech didn't check it, that's still cheating.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
7/17/09 1:44 a.m.

If you want creativity, check out the F.A.S.T. series drag racing.

Hemmings Muscle Machines has a story on these guys in the lates issue.

Factory Appearing Stock Tire.

There's some monster-cube corvette running 12.5:1 compression.

These guys are in the 10's in vintage muscle that looks original.

Shawn

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/17/09 7:09 a.m.

on stock reproduction tires too!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ko1fz0qy7GUQvqajnzJ32tE5vsfPwpHtiDfDHtFhGr9uEIx2uYJJy61ZgeivrmqG