NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/31/19 8:57 a.m.

Mazda has had their restoration service for NA Miatas for a couple years, but only in Japan. But now they've announced that while you won't be able to bring it to them and have it restored, the full line of restoration parts will be available for US customers.

"Mazda USA announced today it will be making over 1100 new and legacy parts available in America, all manufactured in Japan using modern engineering and new materials. The company says it consulted Miata specialty shops to understand which parts were needed most, and chose which to include from there.

Among the parts are a redesigned fabric soft top that uses that same rear screen material as the original, engine internals, differentials, clutches, brake parts, gaskets, hoses, brackets, side window rollers, and everything in between. Mazda has even contracted Enkei Wheels to reproduce aluminum wheels that look like the original "daisy" design, but thanks to modern production methods, will be stronger and retain their finish for longer."

Pretty cool service, when you consider that Mazda is still a relatively small car company. 

Article here: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a29621696/mazda-miata-restoration-parts-program-us/?fbclid=IwAR2lp-e2EPFntRXq1pluIJLrDVAQ24L-DhtQVlPL7IGGR6ebPcvhp7_HMzI

Parts list here: https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Miata-Restoration-Parts-List-2019.pdf

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/19 9:05 a.m.
NickD said:

" The company says it consulted Miata specialty shops to understand which parts were needed most, and chose which to include from there."

Huh. Not some of the bigger ones, I'll tell you that.

That list looks to be a list of every possible part that Mazda Motorsports sells for NA Miatas. There are adjustable cam gears and 4 puck ACT clutches on the first page. Based on the list of parts that were published when they became available in Japan, the repro parts are mostly things like small interior trim pieces and screws.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/31/19 9:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NickD said:

" The company says it consulted Miata specialty shops to understand which parts were needed most, and chose which to include from there."

Huh. Not some of the bigger ones, I'll tell you that.

That list looks to be a list of every possible part that Mazda Motorsports sells for NA Miatas. There are adjustable cam gears and 4 puck ACT clutches on the first page. Based on the list of parts that were published when they became available in Japan, the repro parts are mostly things like small interior trim pieces and screws.

I'm guessing that the list was originally compiled from Mazda Japan talking to Japanese shops. I wouldn't take it personally, Keith. It does look like a pretty extensive list of stuff. I pray that they'll reproduce the old Mazdaspeed seats, but I highly doubt they will

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/19 10:08 a.m.

I'm not taking it personally, I'm doubting their claims :) Mazda does a great job of supporting their racers but they suck at dealing with their aftermarket. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/31/19 12:23 p.m.

I hope there's A/C hardlines in there.  There is a nonzero demand for those.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/31/19 12:36 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I hope there's A/C hardlines in there.  There is a nonzero demand for those.

I haven't scanned the whole list, but if they are getting Enkei to cast brand new wheels, I wouldn't doubt that they are making new A/C lines.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/19 1:04 p.m.

Don't forget that some parts never went NLA.  Not the AC lines, though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/19 1:14 p.m.

Looks like we have at least some. B61P13972A HOSE,EVAPORATION.

Ahhh, and way at the bottom there's a note that the greyed out items are the new ones.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/31/19 4:39 p.m.

Now they need to to do the same thing with the RX7.  Some of those parts are getting really hard to find.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
10/31/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

I'll take one of every plastic interior bit for my FC, please.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/31/19 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

You and every FC enthusiast since about 1990.  Sadly, Miatas probably have more of a following, although I would be thrilled if they ran off a batch of 12A engine everythings and '78-83 (-85 outside North America) dashboard pads.  Those cracked and split when the cars were still new!

I personally witnessed a friend crack the (formerly pristine) center surround on his S5 when he was carefully, every so gingerly trying to remove it.  Much anguish.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
10/31/19 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yea, I doubt it will ever happen, but a guy can dream. 

I've had  my dash out twice now to access wiring and the center vent has completely disintegrated, all the vwnts on top of the dash are broken, the instrument surround is held on by half its fasteners, and the center surround has at least one broken mount. sad

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
10/31/19 7:23 p.m.

Which a/c hard lines are NLA?  I might have some

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/31/19 8:13 p.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to Feedyurhed :

I'll take one of every plastic interior bit for my FC, please.

Me too. My FC interior is still pretty good but my dash vents are getting really brittle. I am afraid to even look at them for fear of cracking them. I actually have a couple spare center surrounds that I have picked up at the salvage yards over the years. Waiting for the inevitable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fyoGwzCPAkTeAMab2RywNXgeaBDxSTNlD5NisnsKRxs0fK4Y85b2a56jxeQCuQYp