1 2
wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
3/4/21 10:20 a.m.

Many or perhaps most EVs look like domestic appliances, but there's no reason they can't look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmHd1A6eOXk&feature=youtu.be

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/4/21 10:25 a.m.

Stunning

not to be that guy, but I cannot imagine driving that without the sound. Thats half of the experience for me

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/4/21 10:46 a.m.

That new Audi EV sedan based off the Taycan is stunning.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/4/21 10:52 a.m.

The Late Brake show just put up a video on the Audi E-tron, it is a great looking car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR-BIWFEv4  The Tesla S and the Taycan are good looking cars as well, it's too bad the more affordable EVs aren't attractive.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/4/21 10:54 a.m.

Unless you are a millionare, the better looking EV's are out of reach, just like normal cars in most cases.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
3/4/21 10:57 a.m.
spandak said:

Stunning

not to be that guy, but I cannot imagine driving that without the sound. Thats half of the experience for me

They go into that (a little) in the video, there is plans to emulate the original Alfa GTV sound.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/21 11:13 a.m.

Good looking EVs? Google to the rescue. 

https://memoempire.com/humans/initials/ev/

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/4/21 11:20 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

The Late Brake show just put up a video on the Audi E-tron, it is a great looking car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR-BIWFEv4  The Tesla S and the Taycan are good looking cars as well, it's too bad the more affordable economy cars of any sort aren't attractive.

FTFY. Small hatchbacks are not attractive compared to say Astons and Ferraris. They don't HAVE to be. I like my Bolt because it's a fun hot hatch AND it has no problem getting from here in Baltimore up to eastern CT and back. It's no V8 Vantage, but neither is a Golf or any other car in that class. And for less than a $25k buy in these days for 200 hp and 266 lb ft of torque, it's just fine.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/4/21 11:21 a.m.

Still one of the best looking electric cars ever made. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
3/4/21 11:49 a.m.

It's not traditionally beautiful in the same way as a vintage Italian or British GT is, but I'm really digging Hyundai' s latest effort. Has a lot of 80s Golf or Delta Integrale to it, just on a larger scale.

2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5

Detailed Look At The Hyundai Ioniq 5 Exterior

Hyundai's striking Ioniq 5 delivers long range and brisk performance

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
3/4/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Wow, I agree actually, and I am not a Hyundai person.  Thanks for sharing!  I also like Honda's city EV for similar reasons:

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/4/21 2:05 p.m.

Automotive perfection

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/4/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

Eagle Eye Hammerthrust

Geoff.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/4/21 2:50 p.m.

Hyundai did okay with their Prophecy concept as well. Not universally loved but you can't say it's mundane.

The Alpha Ace also seems like it would suit the GRM audience with echos of flared 510s and Alfa GTV.

Error404
Error404 Reader
3/4/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

That looks like there ought to be a mod to replace the steering wheel with a DualShock controller. 

And maybe some sweet speakers to pump in some fake engine noise, the OEMs already have that part down pat.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
3/4/21 3:59 p.m.

There's a point where something is so functional and purposeful it takes on it's own art to me. I really hope with the new generations of EVs automakers will be willing to make some controversial and unique.

SPACE DOLPHIN.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/4/21 4:16 p.m.
STM317 said:

It's not traditionally beautiful in the same way as a vintage Italian or British GT is, but I'm really digging Hyundai' s latest effort. Has a lot of 80s Golf or Delta Integrale to it, just on a larger scale.

2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5

Hyundai's striking Ioniq 5 delivers long range and brisk performance

Anyone else see some Delta Integrale here? Im all for it. Hyundai/Kia have been killing it lately.

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
3/4/21 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Those are the same sporty EVs that have caught my eye, too. The Alpha Ace is my top pick, but the IONIQ 6 has a higher chance of actually being released. 

I'm excited that EVs might bring RWD back into the mainstream.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
3/4/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

The guy who posted the pictures, and you quoted? :P

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/4/21 8:33 p.m.

Caddy built a pretty EV.  Their marketing unfortunately sucked and killed it.   No photo description available.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/4/21 8:39 p.m.

I'm a fan of the VW ID Buzz.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/4/21 8:49 p.m.

I loved the Mini Superleggera concept's styling. I wish they'd built it. It's time for more sport and fun in the lower end of the EV market.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/4/21 8:51 p.m.

The Fiat 500e was a pretty decent attempt. I think it's the most successful of the cheap EVs.

Last I looked, it's grouped with the rest of the non-ABARTH 500 models in being excluded from Solo2 due to stability. It seems like the low battery would help, no? 

2017 FIAT 500e: New Car Review - Autotrader

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/5/21 5:27 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

The Fiat 500e was a pretty decent attempt. I think it's the most successful of the cheap EVs.

Last I looked, it's grouped with the rest of the non-ABARTH 500 models in being excluded from Solo2 due to stability. It seems like the low battery would help, no? 

2017 FIAT 500e: New Car Review - Autotrader

We let one run at an event last year, although the guy had lowered his. It was pretty cool

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
3/5/21 5:32 a.m.
STM317 said:

Didnt see it until this photo. It really does have that Integrale look to it with the wing in that position.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hKfQVhP3Ar3kmVbUT71kSN5oFVgF18AZm9c45u26Mhmv2fGQ83wAy3p6FjjBgWyE