Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/9/21 10:47 a.m.

I did the Silver State Classic years ago. Truly a bucket list event I highly recommend. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/9/21 11:10 a.m.

I'm kind of interested in the Virgina City Hillclimb... it's a one day tow for us, so definitely in range.  At 135hp, I think our Miata would definitely be at the slow end of things... cheeky

Anyone know a ballpark for the entry fees?  I can't seem to find anything on their website, and the registration is password protected...

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/9/21 12:30 p.m.

I thought about doing Virginia City Hillclimb in the Datsun but as it's not street legal that took care of that.

I worked the Silver State Classic 3 times many moons ago; loads of, cool cars fun people,  great stories but the fact that we had one friend killed at the event and another severely injured (unlimited class cars), makes it an event I personally don't wish to run. Regardless of that I still think it's a cool event.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/9/21 2:19 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

Not cheap, as I recall it's around $1,500.00. About what you might expect for an event started by a Ferrari club. In later years the Cobra club became co-sponsors. With organization cost and it being a multiple day event the cost may not be that extreme? 

What do similar hill-climbs charge?

Yikes.  I've never done a hill climb, but that's more than I'd spend on one.  Judging by the online photos, I'm guessing the VC event is on the high end compared to the events back East.  I thought it was interesting, as it's the only one I've seen anything about in the West.  Other than Pikes Peak, which is a little out of my league... 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
2/9/21 5:11 p.m.

Well heck. I want to run the SSCC now in my Cayman.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/9/21 5:35 p.m.

Favorite Silver State memories include:

The father & son team who drove from Texas to NV ran the event and then drove home, they managed 120 mph...........in an 70s F150.

Another was a guy named Bruce whose last name escapes me, he drove from the east coast in his vette for a bit of fun and ended up winning.

The Pacer; we were at the finish control,  we  heard the  wail of a straight six in the distance growing steadly louder than all at once a Pacer popped over the brow.  I think it manged near 130mph.......very GRM.

A friend was helping organize the event an paid me to haul the road closure signs up to both ends of the course; once on 318 I drove my Nissan 720 pick up floored for an hour, about 80mph uphill and a shade over 100 downhill. Did the same thing coming back, we saw one other car and the driver waved to us as we passed each other.  We also had a pair of low flying F15 pilots wave to us (318 borders the Nellis gunnery range)

We also had an armed confrontation of sorts; a local was out hunting and when the ham radio operator told him he couldn't go past the gate, the driver pulled his rifle out of the truck and said he'll drive wherever he pleased. Fortunately the course wasn't hot and the the highway patrol had a chat with the guy later.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tDY0BCtdWyuDeW4jBcxjFlq7xkWlzxKespY1rO8kbOAsdx1b0THBT5dC9eC6acVW