1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/27/10 7:52 a.m.

Stay with what you have, as stated spend a few $ on brakes, good heat/a/c depending on region and decent sound

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
1/27/10 9:36 a.m.

it has to be said... Miata. With only 100 papers in your route, you can fill the trunk, keep a supply on the passengerseat, drop the top, and fling papers from the driver's seat without a roof or windows to get in the way

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
1/27/10 10:58 a.m.

I thought Miata, but $1000 doesn't buy much of one.

We'd been thinking of swapping the Jetta with something more fuel efficient before we got the job. We won't be ready to buy until we get our tax return so we'll see how it pans out and go from there.

thanks all!

Jacques

Spinout007
Spinout007 HalfDork
1/27/10 3:22 p.m.

Wow, and you guys call your selves car nuts. jeez, you haven't even mentioned the absoule best paper delivery vehicle out there. IMO anyways, dodge caravan, one of the early 90's models, take the center seat out, plop you other half in the back seat, pinch a garbage bag in a window, for the misc. crap that a paper route develops in your car, and if they're all thrown deliveries, you can chuck em out both sides, driver out one side and the passenger out the sliding door. At least that was my experience with a paper route. Dependable, as long as they're maintained, should be cheap to buy now, and got mid 20's or better mileage.

my .02

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
1/27/10 4:52 p.m.

Is it possible to walk to do the deliveries? Granted I was about 25yrs younger, but that was much easier than riding a bike or even a car for a few houses. Great exercise, too.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/27/10 4:56 p.m.

Be sure to factor into your decision that insurance on whatever car you use for this will need to be specially rated for commercial use for paper delivery. Check your auto personal auto policy, but I am sure it will exclude ANY coverage if you are delivering property (or persons) for a fee. Talk to your insurance agent to see how much more it will be to add that endorsement to your auto policy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/27/10 6:31 p.m.

I started with a hand truck and graduated to a girl's bike. Seriously.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
1/27/10 6:44 p.m.

Problem solved i think (insert link button doesnt seem to be working for me):

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Meridian-26-Inch-3-Wheel-Cherry/dp/B001AYKISE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1264638521&sr=8-1

A trike should do nicely. No gas, no insurance, it's cheaper and it'll give us the exercise we both desperately need. Only time we should need the cars is in nasty weather and maybe sundays. Probably be rough for a bit until we work off our couch potato ways but it builds character right?

thanks for the suggestions all!

Jacques

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/27/10 7:06 p.m.

Neon. Just find one with enough piston rattle the seller thinks its junk, then drive it till it quits. Repeat as required.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
1/27/10 9:31 p.m.

if you have a bike around may consider trying that for a day or so... 3spds would be a big step in the right way... add a trailer for extra papers and you'd be good... the trike would hold everything but being SS would get old VERY quickly if yo do any stop/go...

for pizza delivery my neon ACR was AWESOME... good MPG, plenty reliable, and great gearing... when I was dropping papers however (adds mailbox to mailbox) the clutch leg sucked after a while... but I was dropping 500 or so papers at a time.

side note... my fav time delivery papers was with my best friend (covered a friend for a week)... I was 15 or so... dad drove the suburban, bud and I stood on the running boards and tossed... good memories :)

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
1/27/10 9:59 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Problem solved i think (insert link button doesnt seem to be working for me): http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Meridian-26-Inch-3-Wheel-Cherry/dp/B001AYKISE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1264638521&sr=8-1 A trike should do nicely. No gas, no insurance, it's cheaper and it'll give us the exercise we both desperately need. Only time we should need the cars is in nasty weather and maybe sundays. Probably be rough for a bit until we work off our couch potato ways but it builds character right? thanks for the suggestions all! Jacques

This is a great idea( as well as the hand truck... I wish I had thought of it back then ). The trike takes away the need to balance while holding 60+lbs of newspapers. At the most I would try to find a used trike to minimize my initial investment, but I love the idea. I hope it works for you. I may look into it again myself.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/4/10 10:43 a.m.

Ended up going with a 3-speed trike. Neat and goofy, just how i like things with wheels. Of course right after we bought it we got like a foot and a half of snow. Won't be able to do the entire route with it but can do quite a bit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ziau0CuFX7dLE1PSwB0a5E4XoDOJPfqiZ2Hhy8ILIzd4Li5NKkHDtqWaR6sKynd4