DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/3/10 11:12 a.m.

Saw a CL ad for an E36 328i for cheap (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1773064186.html), emailed the guy for some pics to see how bad it is when i ran across this pic... What looks wrong in this pic?

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
6/3/10 11:13 a.m.

Running a tad hot, maybe?

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/3/10 11:13 a.m.

Airbag light?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Reader
6/3/10 11:18 a.m.

missing needle on fuel economy guage?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/3/10 11:19 a.m.

Why does it have an MPG guage?

Carson
Carson Dork

My E30 temp gauge would read full hot occasionally and the fuel would be pegged on R even if I just filled it up. I just smacked to top of the dash and everything would read correctly (I think correctly anyway).

oldtin
oldtin Reader

250k with a pegged temp guage and owner describes being in poor condition. Engine swap candidate?

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
6/3/10 11:23 a.m.

All the above + 500 RPM, almost 250k on the clock... dunno for sure, but isn't the tach on the left?

DukeOfUndersteer
6/3/10 11:23 a.m.
oldtin wrote: 250k with a pegged temp guage and owner describes being in poor condition. Engine swap candidate?

thats what i was kinda thinking. Trying to find another M50 and trans and doing a small resto. Thinking of offering the guy $500 for it since its basically a decent shell...

klipless
klipless Reader
6/3/10 11:26 a.m.

Dude, "Manuel" owned that car.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/3/10 11:27 a.m.

well,. the 328 is a pretty hot car.

As for the MPG gage.. in europe they had oil pressure (or temp, I forget) but here in the US.. because most americans can barely figure out the speedo and fuel gages.. we got MPG

DukeOfUndersteer
6/3/10 11:30 a.m.

the rest of "Manuel's" car is pretty straight...

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/3/10 11:35 a.m.

That hood is a candidate for a respray.

DukeOfUndersteer
6/3/10 11:39 a.m.

yea, the hood and the front piece where the Kidney grilles are is kinda fubared, like he bought a red one and got a macco spray to black. I would be changing that out and slapping a M3 front bumper/side skirts on it... But at the same time, i would think all the money it would take to get this thing right would get me a E36 that already is right...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
6/3/10 11:42 a.m.

My first question would be "Where'd the water pump go?" if it's really running that hot at start up.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
6/3/10 12:55 p.m.

I didn't think even Maaco could respray that badly.

EricM
EricM Dork
6/3/10 1:39 p.m.

"working on getting the title"

Well if you hadn't enough warning signs yet, then maybe you should take on the heartache.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/3/10 1:44 p.m.

Good start for a racecar... get it cheap and assume you are doing a motor. An M50 can be had for under a grand. Offer him $750

DukeOfUndersteer
6/3/10 1:59 p.m.
EricM wrote: "working on getting the title" Well if you hadn't enough warning signs yet, then maybe you should take on the heartache.

wow, didnt say that when i first looked at it. He must have edited it recently. Im definitely passing on it...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
6/3/10 2:18 p.m.

The pegged temp and fuel gauge issue on E30's is fixed easily by cleaning the contacts under the barrel nut that holds the gauge in place. it is the ground as well as the electrical connection. Mine had gone missing on their own accord.

Wonder if it is the same on the later cars.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
6/3/10 2:22 p.m.

looks like he's not wearing his seatbelt.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xApCNsq5Lu3zyDu9KMixdOIXSkkWS0NXRrkQqjJXQAfpCse3iVC0fk72KYzXf6Gk