donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/14/14 9:05 p.m.

been saving and got a nice tax return... been wanting a new family car, had planned to get one last year but made due for the year with just the volvo...

120k miles one owner, 4cyl slushbox, well maintained, interior looks better than the exterior, konig wheels with 6 month old tires (would prefer stock myself but whatever) and legal tint (nice in TX summers)... needs a new windshield and front door checkers (door catch/lock things when it opens) all for around $1000 under KBB... very happy with it :)

I wanted a Prius thanks to GRM collective but after a test drive I found that even with the seat all the way back my knee would bump the shifter and my shin hurt because of how much I had to lever up my foot to get to the throttle... had the seat gone another inch or so back or had the height adjustment like most seats (even my 80's volvo had these)... as much as I liked it for the toaster reliability it just wouldn't work... my wife fit fine and while the car is for her I do all the long drives lol.

the 05+ jetta was on the list and while I fit comfortably and like it when my 10y/o 5'2 daughter got in the back seat her knees hit the back of the front seat... no bueno for long trips or a year or so from now... so no go :(

so anyway... thank you GRM for your wisdom on toasters... if you are looking for a family toaster and if you don't have the legs of a 6'7 monster look at the prius... if you do the accord or camry seem like a good choice :)

bgkast
bgkast Dork
2/14/14 9:35 p.m.

Came expecting a Scion xB

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/14/14 9:44 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Came expecting a Scion xB

there where on the list of options... I dig em... back seat as I recall has more room than up front (test drove one when my 10y/o was around 1 y/o and her car seat fit nicely, looking at the years they must have just come out at the time)... but the trunk space leaves much to be desired... family lives in FL or MI, we're in TX :-/... also found that at my price range they had more miles and been driven hard/put away wet by young owners :-/ for same price you can get a much cleaner camry/accord, get more room and don't get that big of a hit on MPG

ZOO
ZOO UltraDork
2/15/14 6:23 a.m.

Just helped a friend buy a similar one. Only 24000 kms!

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
2/15/14 6:29 a.m.

Congrats on the buy. Have three of these cars in the family...very reliable and fantastic gas mileage

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/15/14 7:01 a.m.
donalson wrote:
bgkast wrote: Came expecting a Scion xB
there where on the list of options... ... but the trunk space leaves much to be desired...

I did too. And trunk space? I could easily have fit 6 more cats...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/15/14 7:04 a.m.

Good choice. We've had one that we bough new in 2004. It's over 150k now and the issues have been minimal. It had a leaky o-ring in the power steering and a power window actuator. Both are common problems and easy to fix. The original rear brakes needed replacement early enough to be covered by the warranty, but cheap replacements from AdvancePepZone have lasted much longer.

It is very comfortable inside. We have taken many trips from Northeren New Hampshire to Florida. There's a reason that these cars are so common.

beans
beans Dork
2/15/14 7:29 a.m.

Great choice, welcome to the Fam!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/15/14 7:38 a.m.

I refuse to judge anyone for buying an appliance car. Having one at your disposal enables all sorts of other automotive nonsense.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/15/14 10:18 a.m.

I have a 2011 Accord Toaster. It is my sales car and it works well. I usually get 29-31mpg mostly highway and I got aggravated as I have been driving less highway this winter and the mpg fell to 25.5.

BTW: I looked at the Ford Raptor truck at the Chicago Auto show this week and it is rated @ 11mpg city. Some dude told me his nephew has one and it is FAST but on a trip they kept stopping for gas.....

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/15/14 10:29 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I have a 2011 Accord Toaster. It is my sales car and it works well. I usually get 29-31mpg mostly highway and I got aggravated as I have been driving less highway this winter and the mpg fell to 25.5. BTW: I looked at the Ford Raptor truck at the Chicago Auto show this week and it is rated @ 11mpg city. Some dude told me his nephew has one and it is FAST but on a trip they kept stopping for gas.....

we considered A LOT of different cars... the trailblazer was even on the list... my sister had one and we liked it... but then I thought about putting gas into it... the volvo is bad enough, I don't really want worse for a family car lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uadlJ5k5xCWxN1jTvRG4yv1P0y0DHI6lzQpdbC1suoJOWD5rTHCQsaYvBiMomT1B