1 2 3
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 11:21 a.m.

Went with the Titan 6600 for portability, accesories, and the fact it runs happily on 120. Picking it up and getting it out of the truck was an adventure all it's own, but I'm loving it so far!

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
12/3/18 11:50 a.m.

Sweet!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/3/18 12:05 p.m.

Few things change work in the garage like a lift. Enjoy it!!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/3/18 12:08 p.m.

Show off!  wink

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/18 12:24 p.m.

Scissor me timbers!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/3/18 4:50 p.m.

Looks a lot like my Bend-Pak MD6sumthin-sumthin

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 5:23 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Probably is the same just rebranded! Does it have the 6600 lb limit? All the others I found had a 6k advertised limit. One of the major reasons I went with the titan lift.

In reply to RossD :

Ha! Yeah a bit, but you guys are some of the few people who would get excited about a scissor lift! I've been working in gravel the majority of my shade-tree mechanic life. This is seriously cool, a two car garage AND a lift. 7th heaven here.....

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/3/18 5:47 p.m.

Very cool!

Is that the maximum height they will reach?  Seems about perfect.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/3/18 5:55 p.m.

How high does it get? Like standing, or rolling stool?

And how uncomfortable is working from a rolling stool?

I ask, as i have been eying a used scissors lift for a while....

einy
einy HalfDork
12/3/18 6:18 p.m.

Ooooo ... that will make working on the Exocet that I believe I see in the background easy !!!  Color me green with envy

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 7:54 p.m.

Here are the "positions" which are the safety catch points. Inside the garage the limiting factor is the height of the car vs the ceiling, but it's pretty easy to move around, so the driveway can accommodate if I need to go higher. That picture with the cx-5 is only at the second catch if I remember correctly. I haven't done anything but play with it and rotate the tires on the car so I'll have to report back on living day to day with it. I've actually heard really good things about the harbor freight version of this, I went with this one since it goes higher, has a higher safety margin with a ton more safety lock points (a major complaint with the HF one), and runs on 120. This should make the work on the exocet much more enjoyable, I was nearly in tears when I was setting the alignment last time (jack up, lower, jack up other side, lower, repeat 70000x times). It lifted the cx-5 like it wasn't there, it took longer to get it positioned correctly than to rotate the tires, so nice.....

Position 1 20.5" Position 1 w/Adapter 26"

Position 2 26.75" Position 2 w/Adapter 32.25"

Position 3 32" Position 3 w/Adapter 37.5"

Position 4 36.5" Position 4 w/Adapter 42"

Position 5 41" Position 5 w/Adapter 46.5"

Position 6 45" Position 6 w/Adapter 50.5"

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 7:56 p.m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jmcautomotiveequipment.com/amp/titan-lifts-6-600-lb-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

Here's the lift specs and the site I ordered it from for the curious.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/3/18 8:09 p.m.

This is the first time that I have seen a ceiling fan installed in a garage. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Lol, we just purchased this house - but not only have you now seen one - BUT TWO FANS - in a garage. They're pretty awesome though...

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/3/18 9:22 p.m.

My garage had a couple. Sadly it also has a slightly less than 8 foot ceiling height so the ceiling fans are now gone. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/3/18 9:27 p.m.

Congrats!  I love mine. Both of them. While not perfect for all tasks, the benefits of compactness and portability often outweigh the downsides.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/18 9:40 p.m.

I would like to have a ceiling fan in my garage. 

A lift like this is pretty appealing, but I’m not sure I could get my obnoxiously low c5 over it. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/3/18 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

I'm going to go something similar to this

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=274391

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/18 6:33 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Looks good!

What did it set you back?  How tall is it when fully collapsed?  Is there a 12V version?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/4/18 7:42 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

It's this one!

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/titan-lifts-6-600-lb-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

I paid 1,579.00 + 200 in shipping.  A bit more than I wanted to for sure, but when I decided on a scissor lift - this was the best I could find and over the life of the lift I doubt I'll remember +/-300. It also came with "SUV" adapters - i.e. little screw in/out stands make the platform higher.

No 12V unfortunately, but I think my generator can support it if remote was needed.

Fully collapsed it sits 5.5" high, but I plan to build a pair of ramps like this for my lower cars:

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/4/18 8:22 a.m.

Man that's sweet.

What made you pick the scissor over something like a MaxJax for similar money? If you don't mind my asking.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/4/18 8:40 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Setup is nonexistent (I really didn't want to deal with anchor bolts, etc)

Lifting Height (oddly) was higher than some of the storable 2 post lifts

max lifting weight is a bit higher (600lbs - but enough to matter if I want to lift some trucks safely)

portability means I can move it to the driveway and lift trucks that my garage's ceiling couldn't take

Stows away in a more expedient fashion than a lot of the other storable two post lifts (but with a slightly larger footprint) - you use the power unit as a dolly and it tucks into a corner - I assumed in the future I'm just going to park my Exocet over it so there's only one thing in the way.

It does have the major downside that the center of the car is much harder to access - not a huge issue since I've got primarily fwd and front engine rwd cars. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Excellent list. 

You just helped me reason through the exact same issues. 

MaxJax has never felt quite right because of the anchor bolt thing, and the comments about how easy it is to store never felt right for me either. I do t want to have to store it at all, or give up a corner for it. I want to store it under the car. 

Thanks!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/18 8:59 a.m.

...and I love the idea that I could use it in the driveway.  smiley

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/4/18 9:18 a.m.
SVreX said:

...and I love the idea that I could use it in the driveway.  smiley

Definitely - Though I shouldn't sell it short, while "easy" to move for a 1k lb piece of metal on rollers. You do need a bit of room and some momentum to get it around. I think if I have to go far or do some tight maneuvering I'll just put it on a set of moving dollies (as I do with my exocet). My 2ton cherry picker didn't mind lifting it with the boom fully extended, but setting it down got a bit fiddly because it's wider than the center section of the legs on the picker. Just another caveat to keep up with.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ex3ew0J5AgG6SVNtWScc9IEa9TYjoilXtY5rb3WupYoY9GHZQV8iM7O3PNvTgcPq