1 2 3
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
11/7/19 8:39 a.m.

When Toyota announced the return of the Supra but before all the details like price, I was thinking the car would be priced around 40-45k. When they said 60 large will get you one my thought was no way. It's actually worth less to me BECAUSE it has too much BMW in it.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
11/7/19 8:52 a.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

It became near worthless to me when I found it was a Bmw. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
11/7/19 8:58 a.m.

Toyota, pffft!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/7/19 9:26 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:

When Toyota announced the return of the Supra but before all the details like price, I was thinking the car would be priced around 40-45k. When they said 60 large will get you one my thought was no way. It's actually worth less to me BECAUSE it has too much BMW in it.

Base is $49,990. Premium is $53,990.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
mr2s2000elise said:
TGMF said:

That Toyota, for all their piles of cash and engineering skill chose to farm out such a iconic name really turns me off to the car as well.  Like Chevy having Kia build the Corvette for them. 

well said. 

though I am surprised some forum members haven't jumped down your throat yet. These days, lots of members here, worship hyundai/kia and think they are the gold standard 

It's crazy - think about how much money the spend on their zero competition LMP1 program. And they claim it would be too expensive to develop their own sports car? Give me a break.

But, generally, Toyota suffers from the VW disease. "We're so big that everything we do is right". No it's not. They wrong about the Supra, they're wrong about hydrogen cars and they're wrong about EVs.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
Sonic said:
Dr. Hess said:

It really looks great in person.  Pictures just don't capture it.

I agree.  I'd never seen one in person until yesterday but here at SEMA they are everywhere and they look much better in person than pictures.  Having owned a Z4M coupe I can see the family resemblance too. 

+1 for looks better in person. 

And another +1 for those who remind everyone that niche cars are REALLY expensive to design, develop and bring to market. 

The entry level trim goes for $51k MSRP and getting MSRP seems to be getting harder and harder for dealers. $50k is a solid price point for this car and with a it more time, I bet anyone who wants a Supra will be able to get one at that price point brand new. That doesn't mean I am ready to spend that kind of money myself. Not when slightly used and still in warranty SS 1LE 6th Gen Camaros are hovering in the low to mid $30k's and the V6 1LE are under $30k. 

But this is Toyota making the best financial decisions they can, while also trying to build more fun cars. Having spent time talking with Toyota engineers on One Lap. The company gets it, and are trying to change things. But they are ultimately ruled by the bottom dollar, so partnering up on these niche projects has to happen in order for them to be close to profitable. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/7/19 9:36 a.m.
T.J. said:

I prefer buying my BMWs from the BMW dealer. 

It'll be recalled by BMW if that helps.

wink

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
11/7/19 9:42 a.m.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I'm not sure I understand the hatred for the MKV Supra or all of the blanket digs at BMW in this thread.

When it comes to the Supra,  I understand the disappointment when people like Chris Harris and Jason Camisa say it feels like a BMW. That does feel like a missed opportunity from Toyota. I do wish that they had put a little more effort into making the car more distinctly Toyota. Whatever that means exactly. But can't we just be glad that there is another RWD, ICE powered, sports car coming out in 2019? I just seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water a bit to me.

The BMW hate is also strange to me. Hell, I'd even count myself among the people that think BMW has lost it's way, at least to some degree. But what I don't understand is why BMW so derided when they produced some great cars for decades. There is still alot to like from the 60's all the way through the early 2000's. Even the later cars have their appeal, if you know how to deal with their issues. I get it, they aren't a beacon of reliability, but neither are Alfa's or a myriad of British cars that people seem to be quite enthusiastic about. 

I guess this is just an appeal to focus on the good rather than the bad, but maybe this is the wrong thread for that.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
11/7/19 9:51 a.m.

If they'd spent the money they put into the FRS and Supra partnerships on a single car in the middle (slightly heavier FRS with more power/creature comforts, basically a Japanese Pony car competitor) they'd probably sell a bunch more than the total sales for the FRS and Supra combined, and they could've done it on their own without jeopardizing their brand identity with wheezy flat 4s and a modern BMW wrapped in anime skin.

Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer on the planet. They've got more than $56 Billion cash on hand, and that number probably climbed with their strong 3rd quarter results yesterday. I know they didn't get to be the largest by losing money or ignoring profits, but if anybody can afford a loss leader to reinvigorate the brand a little it's them.

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
11/7/19 10:08 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

garbage BmW to make it in crap Austria 

Oh, come now. If you're going to pile onto a manufacturer and slag off an entire country, at least put in a little effort on the barbs. Do you have a sticker of Calvin peeing on Austria in your window?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/7/19 10:09 a.m.
T.J. said:

I prefer buying my BMWs from the BMW dealer. 

I prefer NOT buying BMWs.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/7/19 11:09 a.m.

To answer the OP's question, I looked around and no, there is no $60k unaccounted for around here. Bummer.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/7/19 3:37 p.m.

If I had that sort of cash laying around I would not buy a new Supra.  I would spend in on something sensible, like hookers and blow.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
11/7/19 3:37 p.m.

I don't know if the posters above are more angry about toyota slapping their badge on a BMW this year or BMW slapping their badge on turbocharged toyotas for the last 10 years.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/7/19 3:52 p.m.

I don't know, I kinda like it. Not 60K like it but I am glad it exists. A bit like the Miata and 124. Neither would likely exist with out the other. So I say with all the trucks and SUVs out there it's always nice to have another choice in the sports car world even if they apparently offend both Toyota and BMW owners.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/7/19 4:11 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

I don't know, I kinda like it. Not 60K like it but I am glad it exists. A bit like the Miata and 124. Neither would likely exist with out the other. So I say with all the trucks and SUVs out there it's always nice to have another choice in the sports car world even if they apparently offend both Toyota and BMW owners.  

Same here. I really like it. But I'm sour on BMW after the 135 experience......if I was really going to drop $55-60k on a vehicle.......I just don't think that would be the one.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/7/19 4:36 p.m.

I honestly like them after I seen it in person. One thing that keeps me out of BMW is their interiors. I really don't like BMW interior. Their reliability or whatever doesn't bother me if I'm buying within warranty but that interior blah! I think in made my point lol

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
11/7/19 4:51 p.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

My hate is that their products are just not well built and when they fail they get expensive really quick to repair unless you have the full suite of BMW software to work on them. Stuff like the requirement to register the battery with the computer starting in the E90 series. Then the lovely computer that ran the entertainment system that failed twice in under 40K miles in my E90. Ohhh and there is the first gen twin turbo 3 liters that just liked to fail in spectuacular fashion. I know of 2 that ate them self at under 70K miles in my friend's cars.

I've owned 2. They were the only 2 cars that I bought at a real price (Not some $500 clunker) that I spent more to maintain and fix then I did for the car with under 100K.

I do have love for E30, 2002, and the early CSL but my BMW love ends there. Anything after 2005, Big nopes for me. Sad thing is, I'm the target market for this car. Someone who grew up in the MKIV timeline and now is in their mid 40's with the income to buy something like this.

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
11/7/19 5:01 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

We are on the same page. E46's and E39's are pretty much the end of my interest in BMW. Even those cars have their issues, but I really do think the car's designed before that 05 cut off have quality to them that makes them overall enjoyable to own. They are all old at this point, so you have to deal with old car problems, but they are fundamentally cars that are enjoyable to own, imho. 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
11/7/19 6:42 p.m.

I like the way they look, i just dont like that its a rebadged, auto-only z4.  Sit in one, it feels exactly like a bmw.  

I also refuse to believe the "wah....sports cars are expensive, this was the ONLY way to get it done!!!!!".  I just dont like being lied to.  Admit you phoned it in, or that you didnt havr the engineering resources, and I'm somewhat mollified. 

If only toyota had something sporty and rwd already to work with: 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/7/19 7:03 p.m.
Flynlow said:

I like the way they look, i just dont like that its a rebadged, auto-only z4.  Sit in one, it feels exactly like a bmw.  

I also refuse to believe the "wah....sports cars are expensive, this was the ONLY way to get it done!!!!!".  I just dont like being lied to.  Admit you phoned it in, or that you didnt havr the engineering resources, and I'm somewhat mollified. 

That thing is a beauty

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/7/19 7:25 p.m.
yupididit said:
Flynlow said:

That thing is a beauty

Even the Predator grill looks OK (not great) on that.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
11/7/19 7:45 p.m.
yupididit said:
Flynlow said:

That thing is a beauty

Agreed.  If i break down and sell off some projects, i may buy one as a comfy old man GT to eat up the miles in comfort with 450+ hp on board.  

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
11/8/19 12:10 p.m.

I don't know what everyone excited about, they're all over the place in Jacksonville. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/8/19 6:35 p.m.

New Supra so close in price to the C8 Corvette......  cross shop them and get back to me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gpxodE48dX5cdgr0bFzWPkDIDVZXDinoDHR6VWQtp57T62b6wB8l82JzpyJK0lS9