1 2 3
Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
11/8/19 7:01 p.m.

I'm not entirely sure I get the hate either. The 86/FRS is a Subaru and no one seems to give a care about that. I'd love it if each manufacturer had their own unique lineup without all of the codevelopment and platform sharing that goes on now, but that's a lot more development cost to amortize across many fewer vehicles. I'm just happy to have sporty and relatively affordable things like this available for other people to buy and depreciate for me.

That being said, the Supra does nothing for me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/8/19 9:38 p.m.

The wife really wants one, though she really wants another manual this time but that is a stretch, I have been looking. ~4K off MSRP is what I keep hearing on the premiums already.  She will be getting one, white/black once I see the lease residual numbers from the dealership later this week. I will not be owning something like this past warrenty though not on a bet.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/9/19 8:00 a.m.
Furious_E said:

I'm not entirely sure I get the hate either. The 86/FRS is a Subaru and no one seems to give a care about that. I'd love it if each manufacturer had their own unique lineup without all of the codevelopment and platform sharing that goes on now, but that's a lot more development cost to amortize across many fewer vehicles. I'm just happy to have sporty and relatively affordable things like this available for other people to buy and depreciate for me.

That being said, the Supra does nothing for me.

Reasons:

No stick.

Not a Halo car if you just rebadge a BMW.

It's not affordable.

It's Toyota, they can afford to develop a car. They already have a Lexus platform.

BMW makes unreliable cars. Literally the #1 reason people buy Toyotas is reliability.

It was teased for years and years.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/9/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Dave M :

If the new average car price is approaching $40k, $50k isn't that much of a stretch.

I'm sure there are many posters on here who could easily afford this car, but it doesn't rev them up enough to drop $50k on one.

I really wanted one, but with a new STi, supposedly new BRZ, and other cars on the horizon, what should be a huge drop in C7 prices, maybe a Mustang GT PP2, just a lot of options.

I'll also probably not buy a new car next year since there are so many indicators pointing toward a recession.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/9/19 1:05 p.m.

Ok just spent about a 1/2 a hour poking around on for the wife, dealership had her color in stock and figured I should put eyes on it.

• If you are shorter you can really bring the seat up.
  • There is so mush styling on this car that simply does nothing. Its cool if you like this but its a Toyota Type R.
  • Truck is not terrible.
  • Sightlines are not terrible.
  • Its a BMW all the way through. The interior might as well be 90% BMW but man is it well made and really well laid out.
  • ITs not as powerful as you would think.
  • Transmission is great.
  • Every single Premium they had and will be getting has 1K in carbon mirror aps and 2K extra in the collision avoidance stuff. No discounts on the premiums at this dealership but I showed them other deals and they were open to it.
  • What kills it is residual values are horrible at least the ones they had on hand. Like so bad they double checked it. ~700$ a month lease with 5-6K down on a 53K car is really bad.
  • The Z4 top goes down, has more power and will lease a lot better right now.

So no real rush on getting one they are getting 1-2 a week in now at the dealers in SoCal. White is the most desirable color according to the dealer which is what she wants. Going to test drive the Z when I get a chance. It is a really good car but we are also looking at the LC500 and used they are ~65K with no miles and they are much nicer on the inside and all Toyota all the way though on construction.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/9/19 1:18 p.m.

I find this self righteous hatred, not just of this but if many vehicles, hilarious from enthusiasts. Let's be glad the Toyota are still putting money into fun cars with both this and the frisbee. 99% of the public have less than zero idea about its origins. Most people, including enthusiasts, have absolutely no idea how much it cost to develop a vehicle, let alone a relatively low production one. I've just got back from SEMA where there must be literally 50 or 60 of these. In person they are much better looking and slightly smaller than the pictures led me to believe. I think it is actually well priced for what it is. As with the puzzling self righteousness, enthusiasts tend to completely forget about inflation. Case in point is how Keith is always pointing out how the Miata is actually cheaper now than it was in 1990 yet people bitch how much they cost compared to the original. I wish people would get over themselves and just appreciate what we have.

The biggest issue with this car for me is not its origin, the badge on the nose, it's looks, it's price or anything else. It's just that for me sports cars have no top. Other than that I think this is a great product and will probably be even better value in a couple of years.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/9/19 6:43 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Toyotas (and Lexuses) usually lease poorly. BMWs can lease extremely well.

I still say $50k is a very expensive car, but then again the last two cars I bought cost $7k combined.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/10/19 10:23 a.m.

For me the price is about right.   New cars are expensive, the Supra is no different.  I don't mind the way it looks, I think it has that Japanese flavor to it.

I dislike the lack of a manual transmission but mostly I don't like the fact its essentially a rebadged BMW.   Like a few others have posted, I dislike any of the modern BMW's, they just have too many issues and those issues are expensive to deal with.  The only BMW that grabs my fancy even a little bit is the M2 Competition, 6MT.  Which I'd only be willing to own under warranty.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/10/19 10:31 a.m.

Frisbee with v8 swap. wink

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/10/19 2:08 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I'm not entirely sure I get the hate either. The 86/FRS is a Subaru and no one seems to give a care about that.

Isn't their small car a rebadged Mazda2?

Seems awful weird that Toyota is outsourcing so much.

That said, I don't think it's "BMW hate" so much as BMW has developed a reputation for not-ready-for-prime-time technology, while Toyota tends to the ultraconservative in their engineering and this is what draws people to them.  That, and the BMW driving dynamic is just weird nowadays.  It's far removed from what is expected of a Toyota.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/10/19 5:37 p.m.

Wait. Frisbees are SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS now!?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/13/19 7:57 a.m.

So I've seen several comments on the price.  I just googles the MSRP for the 93 Supra, it started at  $33,900, that's $60K today which makes todays base MSRP of $49K seem very reasonable.  As far as the lack of manual trans, so what.  The market and technology has spoken.  People, including the vast majority of enthusiasts just don't want a manual these days, I'm one of them.  Clutchless trans have come so far they are now undeniably better in every every possible way except for a few hold out's who for purely subjective reasons want a clutch.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/13/19 8:37 a.m.

I don't think it's out of line price wise for what it is. I just think it's a hard sell against a bunch of other cars. They're attractive in person and most importantly they stand out. You KNOW what you're looking at which is something Toyota has been missing for a while. The question is whether they can attract the second round of buyers, those people that see them driving around and are so excited by them that they seek one out. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CwDjMhfNd8KoZqberq8u9GOBQu5gegbpslNyNRjHDSbM7OLqNceKVkmxkXiUZQux