ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/4/15 7:19 p.m.

I've narrowed down my car search to orange 2011 Vette Grand Sport and orange 2012 Mustang Boss 302. I'm torn between these 2. I love how the Vette looks, drives and sounds but the 302 has lower mileage and since its a limited edition I think it'll have better resale value. My question is, which one would you choose if you plan to drive it between 1-2kmiles per year mainly for weekend drives, autocross and a few track days thrown in. Is it correct to assume that a low mileage Boss 302 will retain its value better than a Vette Grand Sport with normal mileage? What do you guys think?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
7/4/15 7:27 p.m.

Grand sport, because comfier seats, and more exotic looks. I love bosses, but vettes are amazing.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/4/15 7:28 p.m.

I would say the Boss would hold value better, but the GS would be the more rewarding drive.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/4/15 10:44 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I would say the Boss would hold value better, but the GS would be the more rewarding drive.

This is precisely how I feel...I'll have to choose which one is important for me... :(

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
7/4/15 10:52 p.m.

No question about it for me...GS all the way. Those things are awesome.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/4/15 11:33 p.m.

Boss's that are not Leguna Seca pack cars will not hold value as good as you think with the new car being as fast as it is.

I would go older and Z06 but that is just me.

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
7/5/15 12:07 a.m.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
7/5/15 7:30 a.m.

GS. The boss 302 isn't that rare of a car unless it's an LS. They made almost 7000 of the regular ones. That and the GS is just a much better car that will pretty much run away and hide in most situations from the much heavier mustang. (and I'm a mustang fan)

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
7/5/15 8:21 a.m.

I'd go with the boss because I like to bring the family along on my weekend drives. If family = you, wife, and a bags of money get the corvette.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
7/5/15 8:50 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Boss's that are not Leguna Seca pack cars will not hold value as good as you think with the new car being as fast as it is. I would go older and Z06 but that is just me.

My thoughts exactly. An 08 Z06 and an '11 Grand Sport are probably comparably priced

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/5/15 9:17 a.m.
calteg wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: Boss's that are not Leguna Seca pack cars will not hold value as good as you think with the new car being as fast as it is. I would go older and Z06 but that is just me.
My thoughts exactly. An 08 Z06 and an '11 Grand Sport are probably comparably priced

Except that the Z06 may have LS7 head/valve issue. The LS3 doesn't have any known issue so far.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/5/15 9:28 a.m.

Willing to bet that Boss will be worth more than the Vette very soon

yupididit
yupididit Reader
7/5/15 9:44 a.m.

My buddy Boss 302 got hit by a drunk driver in a dodge ram. His insurance paid him almost $40k for it for the car.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
7/5/15 9:53 a.m.

Vette.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/5/15 9:58 a.m.

+1.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/5/15 12:57 p.m.

With 750 of the only 4,000 Boss 302s being Leguna Seca packages, yeah, the Leguna Seca will be the more desirable car.

With the Gran Sport being the most popular of all of the Vettes for 2010,11, &12, and that the Gran Sport Vette's lowest production number was over 5,000 units, the Mustang will probably be worth more.

L.S. or not.

Performance is another category, but if value overall is what you are after, the Boss is hard to beat.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/5/15 1:06 p.m.
bgkast wrote:

Type Q
Type Q Dork
7/5/15 9:50 p.m.

Cars are terrible investments for the most part. I doubt either is near the bottom of the respective depreciation curves. They are most going to be worth less this next year or the year after. Trying to guess the used car market in the future seems like a distraction from why you say you are buying it. If this is supposed to be a weekend fun car, get the one that's most fun for you.

And then enjoy it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/5/15 9:59 p.m.

No car is worth anything if you use it up. Get the vette. You will want to use it up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gYKGCRVo5JRPgn6NBTbaJuPM0v69d7byU1vrox7PO9emKvS3OeWxy0Phdrj0dAF3