3 4 5 6
lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
5/6/11 3:14 p.m.

Two words: scream and fly.

http://www.screamandfly.com/forumdisplay.php?7-Hulls-up-to-20

Vintage stuff shows up once in a while. Not exactly chumpcar-cheap but will definitely get your shorts wet, wink wink, nudge nudge. I'd like to find a classic Hydrostream or J-craft with an old Merc inline 6 tower.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/6/11 6:49 p.m.

I'd recommend watching Minnesota Craigslists - Minneapolis, Brainerd, Duluth, Bemidji. There are always a ton of cheap boats for sale around here. I'm not sure why, but it seems you can pick up a boat, motor and trailer combination for less money than just buying a motor alone.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
2/22/12 12:43 p.m.

I started to replace the transom in my jon boat a week ago, and the next thing you know I've bought a completely stripped 16.5 foot Starcraft deep V-hull runabout hull. I think it is a 1968. I'm paying $275, including a very rusty trailer.

The aluminum is in great shape, but there is nothing else in or on the boat- even the windshield is gone. I'm guessing by the time I'm done, I'm going to be into it for serious money, but I'll be able to take my time and know the boat is done well.

I'm now soliciting links to boat junkyards and links on how to refurbish a boat.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/22/12 5:09 p.m.

As someone whose parents own a marina, I can say with some authority that 1. there is no "inexpensive" boat to own, unless it's a small sailboat. 2. there is no "cheap boat that can be fixed up for cheap," unless it's a small sailboat (and even then, not that cheap). 3. it's alot harder to go junkyard-diving for parts for a boat than for a car 4. there are alot less boats than cars out there, and alot less used parts. Most "used" parts that come off boats came off because they were no good.

Aside from that, when your GRM beater car blows up an engine you just end up on the side of the road. When its roof leaks, you just end up with some water in the floorboard.

On your GRM boat, when the engine blows up you're sitting in the middle of the bay and getting a towboat to come get you isn't cheap, and takes many hours. And when it springs a leak, you may sink.

If you do get a "GRM" boat, make sure you get a contract with a tow company (like BoatUS). It's like AAA for the water, but far more important if you have an old boat.

And get a kicker, definitely.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/22/12 5:22 p.m.

my free boat has been fixed for pretty cheap. the most expensive part was a new ignition. probably have $600 into it including new gas tank, ignition, floor, carpet, console(all made from reclaimed oak and mahogany). we're ready to go out with it, but the weather got cold before we had it finished.

figure we'll take it out on a few test runs at the same time the FIL goes out in his boat, just in case something does not work right. i've run it quite a bit in the driveway with the motor in a trash can full of water and everything seems cool.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/22/12 6:17 p.m.

Selling my boat, want $1500 but make an offer. (seriously, if interested, lets talk)

1972 MFG Gypsy 15' fiberglass hull with Johnson 65hp outboard. Will do about 38knots and has a trailer. Located in western MD.

Need to get to my moms place and get a pic at some point soon.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/22/12 8:13 p.m.

irish is right, as a general rule, the most expensive thing ever is a cheap wooden boat.

Aluminum on the other hand can be had reasonably, but cheap is a varied term. A great setup is like the Lund Fish and Ski, 40 hp yamaha, can pull a skier and 3 passengers and tough.

I would like an aluminum I can put a jet in.

Like an old coast guard rib.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/22/12 9:32 p.m.

I'm thinking of picking up something Chinese-built. They cost alot less and seem to do ok ;)

And a quartet of MTU diesels pumping out 60,000hp sounds like fun.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
2/22/12 11:16 p.m.

Oh, I have no doubt I'm going to spend a bunch of money on the boat. I figure with a solid hull as a starting point, I can build a decent boat for a lot less than the $15 grand a new boat would cost.

The real reason is that I really love the retro-cool look of the old runabouts. I think it is a Nova, they look kind of like this:

If I get the boat fixed for $3000 of material, 160 hours of labor and then put a modern engine on it, that'll be "cheap" to me. I'll probably run way over on the labor, though.

Look at my avatar: I enjoy doing expensive, weird, unusual and frustrating projects.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/22/12 11:55 p.m.
FlightService wrote: irish is right, as a general rule, the most expensive thing ever is a cheap wooden boat. Aluminum on the other hand can be had reasonably, but cheap is a varied term. A great setup is like the Lund Fish and Ski, 40 hp yamaha, can pull a skier and 3 passengers and tough. I would like an aluminum I can put a jet in. Like an old coast guard rib.

sea doo has done it before

http://vantuyl-auto-center.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cars-for-site-002.jpg

they were made from about 94-97 and came with anywhere from 65 to 90hp in the 580, 650 and 718 engines. not the most popular thing they made but they are a blast, i had the opportunity to do some work on a friend of the family's. they will get up and run just like any big seadoo, and turn on a dime just like a RIB.

fwiw, my bargain boat $600 seadoo owes me close to 1k at the moment, and it has yet to see the water since i brought it home. in fact the carbs are apart on my bench waiting for parts to show up tomorrow. the good part is though that it should be back in running order soon. don't believe anyone that tells you ethanol blended gas is safe for all motors, even ones not designed specifically to run it.

Argo1
Argo1 Reader
2/23/12 1:42 a.m.

There are lots of deals on boats. This isn't a powerboat but I bought this with a blown engine and in need of refinishing for $5K. Dropped a new diesel in it and did some teak work. It's now got a market value of about $35K. An enjoyable vessel for ocean cruising as well.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/23/12 2:04 a.m.
mguar wrote: OOPs! You forgot! Boat grow.

I believe that the scientific term is "Two footitus".

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
2/23/12 7:09 a.m.

Grassroots? Boat? This is it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJpM8PpLng

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/23/12 7:52 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: sea doo has done it before http://vantuyl-auto-center.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cars-for-site-002.jpg they were made from about 94-97 and came with anywhere from 65 to 90hp in the 580, 650 and 718 engines. not the most popular thing they made but they are a blast, i had the opportunity to do some work on a friend of the family's. they will get up and run just like any big seadoo, and turn on a dime just like a RIB. fwiw, my bargain boat $600 seadoo owes me close to 1k at the moment, and it has yet to see the water since i brought it home. in fact the carbs are apart on my bench waiting for parts to show up tomorrow. the good part is though that it should be back in running order soon. don't believe anyone that tells you ethanol blended gas is safe for all motors, even ones not designed specifically to run it.

There were about a hundred boat builders that do a similar package. Most have normal seating and wheels (not handlebars). Avon does a really nice one.

I just like the twin jets, you can do fun turns with twin jets.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
2/23/12 2:54 p.m.

That looks like one seriously expensive boat.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/23/12 5:31 p.m.

In reply to FlightService:

i did not know about the other tender companies building jet powered RIBs, but it makes perfect sense. the little 8' tender on my parents trawler is such a PITA to put in the water and get running that we hardly ever bother with it and as a result it always needs fiddling with to get running right when we do use it. since they're upgrading to a larger boat soon, i've been keeping an eye out for a seadoo RIB that would be a good candidate for either re-power or in good enough shape to be reliable and easy enough to load on/off the boat.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/23/12 5:54 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Oh, I have no doubt I'm going to spend a bunch of money on the boat. I figure with a solid hull as a starting point, I can build a decent boat for a lot less than the $15 grand a new boat would cost. The real reason is that I really love the retro-cool look of the old runabouts. I *think* it is a Nova, they look kind of like this: If I get the boat fixed for $3000 of material, 160 hours of labor and then put a modern engine on it, that'll be "cheap" to me. I'll probably run way over on the labor, though. Look at my avatar: I enjoy doing expensive, weird, unusual and frustrating projects.

the main problem is that boat engines are ALOT more expensive than car engines. Especially if it's outboard, and triple-especially if it's inboard/outboard (outdrive). Best to buy a boat with a good engine. Most of the rest is more labor than money. If you want cheapest, find a true inboard, since you can use most any engine with them that will fit. It's the outdrive section of the others that tend to really get pricey to maintain/fix/replace.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
2/23/12 9:06 p.m.

I threw this together this morning. I have time while I am waiting for a body to arrive for a Miata project.

1 sheet of 3/4 pressure treated plywood some 1 inch foam pipe insulation 1 fiberglass seat I had laying around 1 70 inch truck inner tube.

I cut 2 cross pieces from thy plywood that interlock. These are notched so that when the tube is inflated they are locked in. I cut a round section that was slotted so that it could slid down the interlocked pieces. This is for the floor. The floor is screwed in. I will cut a hole in the floor in the right front for a trolling motor. The wood bulkhead next to my right hand is to mount the trolling motor. On the bulkhead next to my left hand will mount a water cannon. I will mount some PVC tubing on one side to hold my fishing pole. On the other side another PVC tube will hold my Umbrella. It's rough right now but I will smooth everything out. I call it a "Turtle" Now I am ready for summer.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/23/12 9:18 p.m.

^^ you win the GRM boat contest hands-down.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/23/12 11:06 p.m.

Hey Gasoline, did you run against any Allisons? Those things are perversely fast.

(not the fishing model but same hull design)

irish44j wrote: ^^ you win the GRM boat contest hands-down.

Needs more Miata

Strizzo wrote: In reply to FlightService: i did not know about the other tender companies building jet powered RIBs, but it makes perfect sense. the little 8' tender on my parents trawler is such a PITA to put in the water and get running that we hardly ever bother with it and as a result it always needs fiddling with to get running right when we do use it. since they're upgrading to a larger boat soon, i've been keeping an eye out for a seadoo RIB that would be a good candidate for either re-power or in good enough shape to be reliable and easy enough to load on/off the boat.

Oh yeah here are some links

Gemini Race RIBs when you really want to FLY

ZAP Cat Race RIBs when you really want to fly faster than a Gemini

These things do about 50 and have 2 people in them, a driver and a monkey. I have been the monkey (moving ballast) for a 10 lap test session. Most exhausting thing you can do with your clothes on, and the most fun. Zap Cat surf racing

AB inflatables, very nice boats

Avon SeaSport

UK R.I.B. Manufacturers.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
2/24/12 8:28 a.m.
FlightService wrote: Hey Gasoline, did you run against any Allisons? Those things are perversely fast. I don't think I ever beat an Allison. They are faster with fewer horsepower, very innovative. I would like to buy a new Allison, but the price starts around $60k. Gambler and Stroker are very fast also.
MattGent
MattGent New Reader
2/24/12 8:40 a.m.

As mentioned, Scream and Fly is a good online source for grassroots boating.

I've posted on here before about the vintage runabout my neighbor has. Stock outboard racing is about as GRM as it gets, its the water-borne equivalent of karting.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

$5-6k can get you an 80-90mph recreational rig with a relatively stock motor. Older Allison, Hydrostream, Action Marine, LTV, etc in the 16-20' range with a v6.

Much of the less-expensive racing (APBA - OPC) has gone the way of the Dodo, but there is drag racing around. When I was a kid my dad raced a 15' runabout with a stock 75hp outboard. There are still pockets of it around, http://www.tcpba-racing.com/tcpba/ runs a class called VP75 which fits the ticket.

I'm restoring an old Hydrostream, and my dad has an Eliminator Daytona:

Photobucket

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
2/24/12 8:50 a.m.
MattGent wrote: ......and my dad has an Eliminator Daytona: Photobucket

That is cool. Not just the boat, but more importantly, your Dad. Is that a Johnson V8 on the back?

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
2/24/12 8:58 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: Is that a Johnson V8 on the back?

Yup, 1985 (boat is an 86). It can be a little cranky sometimes, but it sounds awesome. Boat runs ~90mph. We've taken it all around Florida, run across Lake Okeechobee, along the St. Johns, Indian River, chain o' lakes, the Keys.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/24/12 9:09 a.m.
mguar wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: I'd recommend watching Minnesota Craigslists - Minneapolis, Brainerd, Duluth, Bemidji. There are always a ton of cheap boats for sale around here. I'm not sure why, but it seems you can pick up a boat, motor and trailer combination for less money than just buying a motor alone.
I didn't know you were interested.. a friend died and left his widow with a 32 ft. Chris Craft . both motors out and a lot of the cabin work removed but the price was come-N-get-it.. (Gone now)

Oh, I like looking at them but I don't have the time or energy to actually own one. If I lived on a lake like you do it would be a different story, but having to trailer a boat somewhere every time I want to use it is more work than it's worth to me.

My folks had a lake cabin when I was a kid, and we had an 1956 Herters fiberglass runabout - one of those things with the big tailfins. It was heavy and slow, but it was indestructible and it looked cool. As far as I know, the current owners of the cabin still have it around.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H7gxxqJ1gNsrdXyp1tba3BxSSBegJucWlVWWvzzkvzqkW89VG2uOHYjqSOK1lQou