1 2 3 4
ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound New Reader
3/18/20 2:07 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Oh boy, my current work setup would make you happy.

Three monitors. Two computers. My mouse and keyboard are linked with Mouse without Borders, which usually works. The main reason for the two computers is that my laptop, while having support for up to three display outputs, reallllllly doesn't like doing it. So it just powers one monitor.

At one point I had 4, but again, my laptop didn't appreciate it. I had to get an active USB-DP dongle which was just really terribly slow.

Also, it was hard to find good wallpapers.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/18/20 7:12 a.m.
Ian F said:

I might order one of those super-wide curved monitors.  That might be nice.

I run a 35" Ultrawide at home (because games).  Its actually 95% as good as dual screens for office applications/cad with 50% of the clutter.  I used to have a dual screen setup.  Then a triple setup where the center was an ultrawide.  Then I found that I pretty much only used the center screen for home stuff.

One of my frustrations with no KVM is when I am working from home, I want to plug my laptop in and utilize my desk setup without unplugging my mouse/kb/monitor(s).  Of course docking stations are completely non-standard now which is a whole different issue.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/18/20 7:16 a.m.

Yeah, at work I run a 35" ultra wide that's as good as two screens in addition to my laptop. At home I get by with my old work monitor. 

If you want us to buy more monitors, please subscribe!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/subscribe

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/18/20 8:48 a.m.

I work from home, and what's pissing me off is that now that everyone is working from home, they are all treating it like some big hardship. They are enacting all kinds of new rules and we have extra meetings and video check ins...wtf?  That was never necessary before, you never went out of your way to accommodate or include the remote people before. Screw you, quit wasting my time and get to work. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/18/20 8:51 a.m.

Oh, the reason I have two keyboards is that I also run two computers, a PC and a MAC. Sometimes side-by-side, sometimes one or the other on both monitors.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
3/18/20 9:09 a.m.

We are in the beginning stages of remodeling our basement.  Sure would have been nice if it was done.  This is the temporary work station for the duration!

At least it smells good down here!  Just have no idea when I  can put these to use.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/18/20 10:24 a.m.
slowride said:

These workspaces are almost shockingly clean and organized. I feel somewhat ashamed of mine.

To be fair, I had just set up my desk for WFH--Tim and I usually don't work at home at the same time, so we had shared a big desk and external monitor. I was just moving into this little drop-front (that I got for $38!). It's challenging trying to use a desk designed for a whole other time and working style, but I'm figuring it out. Here's where it's at today:

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/18/20 10:25 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Any recommendations for a 34-35" ultra-wide?  I'm seeing them with prices ranging from $300 to over $1000. Gaming is not really a priority for me, so I don't need one with a crazy-fast refresh rate.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/20 10:25 a.m.

Is that my old monitor? The happy face looks familiar. I believe Nancy stuck it there. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/18/20 10:38 a.m.

Well guys my company just issued a memo that everyone will work from home indefinitely starting Monday.  I transitioned to home this week, based on a 3 week estimate.

Knowing who is also in our building, I'd say expect some big limitations announced by Sunday.  

slowride
slowride Dork
3/18/20 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I'm not sure I could work without desk space to stack stuff on. But then again that is how I got to where I am now.

As an aside, I have noticed that InDesign seems to work pretty well over VPN. I am glad to not have to relink everything. (I assume you guys are using it too)

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/18/20 11:05 a.m.

I have been working from home for just over a week now. First home w the flu last week and now on mandatory self-quarantine for the immediate future. 

I've managed to take over 2ft^2 at the dining room table. The four kids, now all being "homeschooled" yelling at each other for things like "breathing," "existing," and "looking at me." I will be surprised if any of the emails I have sent even sound half coherent.

God speed to the rest of you.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/18/20 11:06 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Any recommendations for a 34-35" ultra-wide?  I'm seeing them with prices ranging from $300 to over $1000. Gaming is not really a priority for me, so I don't need one with a crazy-fast refresh rate.  

I typically go with LG for monitors.  I have this guy (oops guess its a 34 not a 35):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5R9VR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm slightly regretting getting a 1080 monitor.  I'm a refresh rate/FPS over visual quality guy, but for office stuff 1440p or 4k would be useful.  I'm also finding it would be useful in certain sim games.

Sorry to not have a solid recommendation.  I will say if its coming out of your own pocket, its still probably easier to run dual 24" or 27" monitors.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/18/20 11:11 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Is that my old monitor? The happy face looks familiar. I believe Nancy stuck it there. 

I believe it is--came to me via Katie. Our office reminds me of growing up as one of 5 kids, where the hand-me-downs got recycled so much it was almost surprising when an original owner recalled wearing one. And slowride, I am also a stacker/piler. I'm starting to really warm up to pigeonholes. Same concept but more vertical, so you FEEL more organized than you are. Or look as organized as you always knew you were. Something like that.

Margie

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
3/18/20 11:21 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Oddly enough, I work in a pile of random crap at work, but keep my home desk fairly neat and tidy. No idea why, but I can't focus here without it orderly. 

I hope you reclaimed your small block Chevy heads.

_
_ Dork
3/18/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

"are you the matrix?"

kgobey
kgobey None
3/18/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Day um, ... year 8 working from home. I've started dressing in polka dot shirts to annoying the video conference attendees. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/20 11:44 a.m.
_ said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

"are you the matrix?"

"How do I make this look cool quickly without revealing any proprietary info? I'll just log into the command line and run top..."

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/20 11:48 a.m.
kgobey said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Day um, ... year 8 working from home. I've started dressing in polka dot shirts to annoying the video conference attendees. 

In my first work-at-home adventure in 1995 or so, the running joke was that I was never wearing pants on a conference call. No video conferencing to confirm or deny this claim...

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/18/20 12:07 p.m.

I work remotely most of the week. Somehow this whole pandemic thing has now made it so that I have to actually go to the office on a daily basis. That seems backwards. I am trying to find reasons to get out of the office so I can get my work done. At least non of the 5 networks I regularly connect to has blocked GRM.

David S. Wallens
3/18/20 12:09 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Please tell us that you have a wind tunnel at home. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/18/20 12:13 p.m.

No WFH for me so my office is the same. 

What sucks is now I'm stuck in my office for my lunch hour also since everything's gone to take out only. 

David S. Wallens
3/18/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

And what a handsome office it is. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/20 12:30 p.m.

Stampie, that is an epic mane. I am impressed.

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
3/18/20 12:42 p.m.

Late to the party! I've got my desk set up, and my home office comes with a new assistant

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hbdbp0VXOUJRJJFE7wBBYMnURCzcgSIu3xJbKdo1aG3bB1rdiXHYTZBJzINJEtOo