the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
6/10/16 10:51 a.m.

If you were buying die-cast cars during the heyday of the sport-compact scene, then this 1988 Honda CRX Si that showed up at our $2003 Challenge might look familiar. At the same time, you could find a 1/18-scale Hot Wheels CRX sporting the same color scheme. Clever, huh?

Like the smaller version, this one also featured a turbocharged engine–although, the team admits, three turbos donated their parts to make one functioning unit.

In addition to a blow-off valve, these participants might have also been hearing wedding bells: During the build, Carrie and Mike became engaged. They said that if they can survive a project like this, they can tackle anything. (By the way, we found one of those models advertised on eBay for $64.95.)

Make your own low-buck memories. Join us from September 30 to October 1 in Gainesville, Florida, for the Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge Driven by General Tire and sponsored by CRC Industries and Miller Electric.

Visit grmchallenge.com for details.

ENTRANTS:
Carrie Sparling, Mike Snyder, Andrew Wagner, Chris Vetters

TOTAL BUDGET:
$1962.08

EVENT YEAR:

Not a subscriber? Each magazine contains all the latest amateur motorsports stories. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.

Read the rest of the story

Rupert
Rupert Dork
10/5/16 7:58 p.m.

I owned and autocrossed a '85 CRX Si. It was almost unbeatable! I'm not a bad driver, but until I bought and raced my CRX,I had never won "stock FTD!" Which I did several times until others bought and raced Si CRX cars as well.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/5/18 7:03 p.m.

not to bring up an old thread, but this popped up on Facebook marketplace. 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
9/5/18 7:14 p.m.

Haha I saw that today too.!Here it is on Craigslist!

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/88-honda-crx/6639081624.html

Our Preferred Partners
MCuwyy5DiCjtnfhaqgRkaq1ptLLXzDqiGph7TeyxrSMoa4iQnVzD3HHKRCH3IUFq