ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/7/10 9:17 a.m.

I got up this morning and fired up the Corolla and the clutch was slipping like crazy. It took me too long to figure it out (to figure out it wasn't the tires spinning on our fresh 4" of snow), so I'm upset at myself for that.

But anyway, now I've got a car that needs a clutch, no shop, and single degree temps.

Driving a '77 shortbed chevy to work (late) in new snow with a questionable heater and having to fix the corolla in the cold has me seriously thinking harder about getting an actual nice car.

When it's cold out...that's usually the time I regret my winter beaters (that I drive all year).

Clem

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
1/7/10 9:21 a.m.

That sucks. It seems when something major breaks on my cars the weather turns terribly foul as soon as I open my tool box.

gigolojoe
gigolojoe New Reader
1/7/10 9:59 a.m.

I had to change the starter on my vette in pouring rain a couple weeks back. That was misreable. I can't imagine doing a clutch job in the snow .

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
1/7/10 10:00 a.m.

You could have ridden the Puch.

cghstang
cghstang Reader
1/7/10 10:01 a.m.

The clutch on my winter car gave up the ghost the other night too!

Now I get to drive my never-seen-snow miata until it's fixed ($$$)

Ross of Nine
Ross of Nine Dork
1/7/10 10:06 a.m.

One of those tents for storing cars, some ply wood or cardboard on cement and some space heaters can make fixing cars outside easier than straight outside in the snow. Warning to the heater near combustable materials and oxygen for the mech.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/7/10 10:12 a.m.

I'd buy another junker, slap the wrong tags on it, insure it, and drive it until spring before I'd change this clutch outside

The clutch kit isn't going to be in town until Tuesday anyway, it seems. Hopefully I can round up a garage to change it in by then...

Clem

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
1/7/10 10:40 a.m.

ugh did a radiator yesterday because it was the warmest it has been/will be in a while. Second the idea of a porta-garage, plywwod and a jet heater. Beer and friends to bribe with beer would be helpful.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/7/10 10:51 a.m.

Yeah...ok, so does anybody have any fun theories why my clutch (probably pressure plate) decided TODAY, on the coldest day of the year, to slip?

There have been absolutely ZERO symptoms of any sort of clutch failure until this morning.

I'm wondering if something in the pressure place contracted on something else and isn't letting it engage all the way. I don't know...but it never slipped before. I'm sure the disc is likely toast now after this morning's shennanigans, but I'm just curious.

Clem

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
1/7/10 10:53 a.m.

Porta-garage is the only way anything gets done on my fleet during the winter. Bought a cheap one from Sam's club a few years back, and built a platform out of pressure-treated 4X4s, 2X10s, and plywood. The garage blocks the wind and gets you out of working in the snow/rain, which is a huge help...

gjz30075
gjz30075 New Reader
1/7/10 11:09 a.m.

Is it hydraulic? Maybe the cold weather is causing either the master or slave to act sluggish. If so, the disk is probably toast as a result anyway

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/7/10 11:15 a.m.

It's hydraulic...and yes, it's noticibly "different" acting in the sub zero temps...but the pedal returns fine.

The problem is failure to clamp down on the disk.

Hard to say...

Clem

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/7/10 11:17 a.m.

GJZ beat me to it.

I was going to suggest a cold weather slave cylinder malfunction.

Was the pedal unusually difficult to press?

I can't believe your cars haven't sold yet! I would say how much I want them but I hate being that "I'll have the money soon!" D-bag.

Besides, my Subaru addiction takes precedence. At least that's what the wife tells me when I start lusting after something RWD.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/7/10 11:19 a.m.

I must have been typing while you posted, Clem.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/10/10 9:17 p.m.

Well...today the temperature soared to 20 degrees (F) so I thought, "What the heck, I'll give the clutch a try today."

Who else here believes that it worked fine today with no slipping.

I'm telling you...that's what happened. I did a few "launches" on what little dry pavement I could find to test it out, and the clutch worked fine.

I'm baffled, but at least I should be able to drive it to work tomorrow ;)

Clem

pres589
pres589 Reader
1/10/10 9:21 p.m.

Buy a magnetic block heater and hang it as close to the clutch as you can? Run during the coldest mornings.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
1/10/10 9:39 p.m.

I love when cars fix themselves

If not though, constant trips inside for coffee and beer keep feeling in the fingers

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
1/10/10 9:52 p.m.

You'd better sell the car when the weather warms up.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
1/10/10 10:10 p.m.

You probably should flush the clutch fluid. Wee all know brake fluid absorbs water, and that it settles to the lowest point on brake systems (usually the wheel cylinders) so why would a hydraulic clutch system be any different? A little moisture in the slave cylinder freezing up would easily keep it from retracting back after you released the pedal.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/10/10 10:25 p.m.

Damn, that's good!

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
1/10/10 10:27 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Wee all know brake fluid absorbs water, and that it settles to the lowest point on brake systems (usually the wheel cylinders) so why would a hydraulic clutch system be any different?

I've always read that the reason why a hygroscopic fluid is used in brake systems is so that moisture in the system wouldn't settle at a low point; That is it would be distributed throughout the fluid.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/10/10 10:33 p.m.

sounds like fun. I did an oil change and car wash in 25 degrees today. My hose was frozen solid, so I had to resort to the "warm bucket o suds" to wash and the "cold bucket o water" to rinse. I ended up very wet and cold. I would rather have done a clutch job.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
1/10/10 11:30 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: You probably should flush the clutch fluid. Wee all know brake fluid absorbs water, and that it settles to the lowest point on brake systems (usually the wheel cylinders) so why would a hydraulic clutch system be any different? A little moisture in the slave cylinder freezing up would easily keep it from retracting back after you released the pedal.

oldopelguy FTW. My Corrados have hydraulic clutches. The black one, I've just finished an autox season with, and have fresh fluid. The green one, I've neglected a little. I fired them both up and moved them around last Wed, and the green one was a little wonky about it. The brakes & clutch share a resevoir on these cars, and I know the fluid is shot in the green one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
1/11/10 6:41 a.m.

Single digit temps takes it's toll on cars. Nothing seems to work as well in the cold. Things come out in the cold that haven't been there all year. New creaks and thunks in the suspension and so forth. I also am amazed at how much the mpg dips down .in the cold and snow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e3GNcQM2gJCQjMUvxZa1trBuqo3P9vX1eBBMm6X0ZHodsFgbvgpsjEj7t0z4jo3J