1 2
The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/31/17 4:02 p.m.

I was really hoping that MIT's "Cambridge Crude" would have come to fruition by now. There's probably a lot that could be done with that.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
5/31/17 4:05 p.m.

I've looked into conversions 6 ways from Sunday. And while I totally get that they are not "enthusiast" cars in a traditional sense, you can buy a whole used Nissan, Mitsubishi, or smart electric cars for less than the cost of a battery, motor, and controller sell for on any of the DIY suppliers' sites.

Why not buy one of those and transfer the entire propulsion system into a more sporting chassis?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/31/17 4:57 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Why not buy one of those and transfer the entire propulsion system into a more sporting chassis?

It's enormously complicated and, at only 107hp, might still be slow unless other mods were made.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
5/31/17 5:45 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Depends on the chassis, no? 107hp might be stupid fun in an MG Midget!

mck1117
mck1117 New Reader
5/31/17 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

A bunch of organizations prohibit traction control, but notably almost nobody does for autocross, expecially if you do something whacky enough (like this) to throw you in to the modified bin.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/31/17 8:17 p.m.
EvanR wrote: In reply to nderwater: Depends on the chassis, no? 107hp might be stupid fun in an MG Midget!

I'm in.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/31/17 8:43 p.m.

Controller

UMC 3.0 to replace the brains of a take out factory controller so you can push it a little harder, or

Paul and Sabrina DIY AC controller

Motor Take out Leaf or Tesla or Smart or Toyota/Lexus RWD dual motor transmission, etc.

Batteries Use take outs from a Volt and abuse them or if you have the money to pay more to get the weight down call http://www.ampahaulic.com/

Put in a CRX and go!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9fU18Up8t4E

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/17 8:49 p.m.

Shoot, didn't mean to seem like I'm ignoring this thread. Yes, we hear you.

So, what do we electrify?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/31/17 9:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Shoot, didn't mean to seem like I'm ignoring this thread. Yes, we hear you. So, what do we electrify?

Factory Five GTM

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/31/17 10:08 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
EvanR wrote: In reply to nderwater: Depends on the chassis, no? 107hp might be stupid fun in an MG Midget!
I'm in.

It's a really interesting conundrum. The Leaf's battery pack, motor, controller and charging components themselves weigh about 1,000 lbs -- so even a Leaf donor project using a super light chassis like a Midget or Spitfire would still weigh in at well over a ton. And it's no easy task to figure out where to stash all those batteries in a car that small

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
5/31/17 11:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yes, we hear you. So, what do we electrify?

You already featured a miata EV, so probably not that. Something similarly small and light

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5k4MmYEpEvAswmqmCNTuJNySIpcx5QPO4TgdlWYtAbRLVTx5AX1lr70mL10WRjW4