vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/21/20 5:17 p.m.

I want the transisiterized ignition from an 81-83 Kawasaki KZ 440 to convert my 400 from points and condensor. I will need all parts associated from the ignition coil to the ignition ignitor to the pickup coil and timing rotor.

Help me Obi-GRM-Kenobi, your my only hope.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/21/20 5:31 p.m.

Can you do a conversion like this. And yes I know you asked for parts and that's not what I offered, but it seems like you're not the only one with this issue. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/21/20 7:25 p.m.

Had these 2 sites stored in my favorites for a while. One is an enthusiast site selling parts, the other is a magazine but may have some links and/or info.

https://oldbikebarn.com/

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
5/22/20 10:04 a.m.

There was an optical ignition offered by c5 Ignitions, but their site says they have halted production. I remember something about using half of a Dyna S module to work from the bigger 4 cylinder Kawasaki models.

With that said, I've never had an issue with any of the 400/440s using points over the years. In fact I've converted at least 5 kz400/440s to points.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
5/22/20 11:30 a.m.

I did the GM HEI mod with my Honda CB, similar year and similar "transistorized" ignition as yours. First generation of bikes sparking without points didn't go that well, and the parts are expensive and rare.

It works much better than the stock stuff, and cheaper! Make sure to use genuine Wells DR100 modules (Autozone).

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/first-bike-not-powered-by-my-legs/154893/page4/

5/22/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'm sure I could. Thanks for the link. Interesting.

5/22/20 5:15 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Thanks. I'll check them out.

5/22/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

So I take it you know a thing or two about 400s? The few times I've had it running on two cylinders has been nice. The carbs have been sonically cleaned. Funny, the right cylinder would give me problems before then. Now it's the left. I did switch the plug wires to try and isolate the ignition as culpable, but I did that before cleaning the carbs sonically. I've read a bunch about coil failure too. Currently the bike is at a shop getting tires and state inspection done. But unless it idles reliably it won't pass. I want to check the advancing mechanism to make sure it's okay too.

5/22/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Actually I have points and condensor. So I'd need the rotor and pick up on the advancer on the end of the crank too wouldn't I?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/22/20 7:36 p.m.

Dynatek should be able to hook you up with a dyna S or simalir

5/22/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :I contacted them. Their response, other than multiple emails to sell me stuff, is they don't make for my application. I have read that some use the 750 application and remove one of the readers since that's a 4 banger.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lUhYvZ8kqXkjptTcCKNiCN5LY92OrVxidxAOZisHVnmlGNRGdUE18xX1h6OnYF6p