ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
7/30/15 1:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Ian, you need to share your exciting and awesome news.

Ok - the XXXocet is officially registered and inspected in MA as a "2015 Special Construction." If anyone has any questions about getting an Exocet registered in MA, feel free to drop me a line.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/30/15 6:22 p.m.

That is such a huge thing. MA is not the least anal state in the union, and this is a 100% legal supercharged V8 Exocet. I know it wasn't easy to satisfy all the inspections and requirements - well done Ian!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
7/30/15 7:46 p.m.

Congratulations! When/where will it be out in public so I can drool over it?

rcodea
rcodea New Reader
7/31/15 10:05 a.m.

That is a big deal! congrats Ian!

~Ryan

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
7/31/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

Thanks guys! Just missed it at Miata Day at the Lars Anderson Museum, though it'll be back for Japanese Car Day, among others. Otherwise, I'll be commuting from Newton into Fenway any day it's not raining.

Greg_E
Greg_E New Reader
7/31/15 11:23 a.m.

That's great! I'm going thru the motions now to get mine registered in PA as a speciality vehicle as well.

ihmcguinness
ihmcguinness New Reader
7/31/15 12:22 p.m.

Wish I could offer more advice. All I'll say is to get in contact with the people who will inspect it as early as possible. My contact was soooo helpful at making it through without any costly changes. At least, without any unforseen ones...

Greg_E
Greg_E Reader
7/31/15 12:39 p.m.

Yeah I've already done that. Feeling optimistic everything will go fine.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/5/15 11:18 a.m.

Hi Chris,

Your car is starting today! Floors are done and as soon as the top half starts to come together I'll send over some photos. Powder is here and you're the next car going in for powder coating. Can't wait to see how the transparent copper comes out.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/5/15 10:46 p.m.

I just want to kill the misinformation that long tubes don't fit. 30 seconds with a torch and a mallet around the mount and they're golden.

(Upside down mockup view)

No problem, mon.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/5/15 11:12 p.m.

Then we'll change that misinformation to "the fitment of long tubes varies and will require a hammer". Ours interfered with the sides of the subframe.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/6/15 12:37 a.m.

:)

I have 1/4 inch on one side and about 1/2 on the other

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
8/6/15 6:54 a.m.

It's awesome to see the LSx builds get better and better from each iteration. That is absolutely sexy. Do you plan on coating the headers?

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/6/15 7:10 a.m.

Nope. I'm going to give them an everclear bath before I fire it up for the first time, though. Not a fan of coated stainless

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/6/15 7:15 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuo0KIqD_E

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
8/7/15 7:57 p.m.

I would not crow that they work until you have the transmission on there as well. looks like you wacked em into the transmission to me...

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/8/15 4:14 a.m.

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but the transmission is bolted up right now.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/8/15 4:00 p.m.

(pic is upside down) You have to make pass through cuts in the bellhousing flange, for the headers to pass through. Since we are using a sheet metal pan, the botton 1/3 of the flange isnt necessary anyway, I think I'm going to go back and cut the rest of it off as well. There are some more photos on my MEV forum thread

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/8/15 5:08 p.m.

Ready for chassis to drop on.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
8/8/15 7:59 p.m.

That clears it up. The first image had it looking like the collector flanges were located in the same space as the bellhousing. (which it is.) but Having never had my hands on putting it together I was not aware you could lop off parts of the bellhousing.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/8/15 8:08 p.m.

You just cut the flange below where the engine block stops (I cut the spacer the same way), similar to how an automatic bellhousing is shaped, where only the top 2/3 mates to the engine. The flange doesnt offer anything to the structure of the actual bell itself so you can lop off whatever you need, really.

boileralum
boileralum New Reader
8/10/15 1:28 p.m.

How about the steering shaft? Looks like that is going to be a tight fit as well. How far out are you from chassis pickup, any idea?

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/10/15 3:28 p.m.

Shaft fits fine, I test fit that first thing. Two tubes go either direction around the shaft, pretty neat design. Pickup should be this weekend.

D2W
D2W Reader
8/10/15 7:44 p.m.

Is there a forum with build threads in the US so I can inundate my mind with exocet goodness?

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
8/10/15 8:36 p.m.

The mev forum has most of them I think, including mine. Euro builds too

http://mevowners.proboards.com/board/20/exocet

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UySnJ6cg0L1sKEPCgXcgPpBLz3ynAEgtDLYhnnGpw0cG4tShuuCz53ZOH74QNGvU