1 2
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
4/2/19 1:16 p.m.

Wanna know why the new Supra got a BMW engine instead of a 3jz?

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/news-supra-chief-engineer-arrested-by-tokyo-prosecutors/

"Multiple news outlets in Japan are reporting that Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer of the 2020 Toyota Supra, was arrested by the Tokyo prosecutor’s office at 8:07 pm last night while leaving a Tokyo karaoke bar. The office is the same one that arrested Carlos Ghosn, the former CEO of Nissan, last fall. The office charges Tada with misdeeds that have irreparably harmed Toyota Motor Corporation.

According to the statement, Tada used $94 million from the development budget of the 2020 Supra to set up a shell company called Tachibana Real Estate. There, instead of using funds intended for the development of a new chassis and inline-six, tentatively called the 3JZ-GTE, Tada and an accomplice, BMW powertrain engineer Hugo Andore, funneled the money into multiple properties in Bavaria, cars, and jet-setting trips around the world to meet with Tada’s many fans...."

I'll be honest, when I first read it I thought it was real laugh

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/2/19 1:42 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

Am I the only one that does not hate this?  

You are not although i want them to lift it like the odd AMCs of old too

Yup amc eagle is what I thought of when I saw this.

Nope, it can’t be. AMC as a company were incapable of building an attractive car. Never made a single one ever. No way they’d revive the brand and forget its one major heritage claim. Ugly cars for all!!

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/2/19 2:57 p.m.

I'm a little late but Rough Country's poser stand came to my attention today.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/2/19 3:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

Nope, it can’t be. AMC as a company were incapable of building an attractive car. Never made a single one ever. No way they’d revive the brand and forget its one major heritage claim. Ugly cars for all!!

You're joking, right? The 1970 Javelin was an incredibly handsome machione

I like the AMC Rambler as well, although that one might be a little more on the fence.

And don't forget the AMX/3, which they did produce 6 of and sell to the public.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
4/2/19 5:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Edit:  referring to the V6 Vette:  I think it's a great idea.  Could be a lower cost minimum optioned lightweight track oriented car.  A normally aspirated V6 should make what - maybe 350HP?  And since the Vette is designed for higher output motors it would have no problem supporting a lower output V6 reliably.  The current performance oriented versions of the car are just too much for the average enthusiast to want to put on a track for a track day or time trial.  How about some affordable performance?  Turn key C8 Cup spec series?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/2/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I’ll sort of give you the AMX/3, but it wasn’t really a production car though  other than that I stand by my statement  they never produced a good looking car  ugly was their DNA  

Antihero
Antihero Dork
4/2/19 6:05 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

The eagle and sx/4 and other 4x4 cars they built werent all that pretty sure, but they were damn unique

studepilot
studepilot New Reader
4/3/19 12:24 a.m.

I had an eagle kammback .awesome car .I swapped in a 2.5 that was hopped up a bit ,manual trans, nice new snowtires , unstoppable ,quick, fun to drive , decent mpg, I am sorry i sold it and will never find another .... Amc made some handsome cars , not stunning like Italian designs but handsome . Now after 1972 GM made garbage ,ugly, cheap, unreliable garbage ,and ford was not far behind .Why not just hire Italian stylists , cut off their hands , blindfold them and say draw it and make it cost no more than 500$ using parts from local appliance stores 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
4/3/19 1:10 a.m.
NickD said:
Adrian_Thompson said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

I like the AMC Rambler as well, although that one might be a little more on the fence.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/3/19 7:05 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
NickD said:
Adrian_Thompson said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Antihero said:
dean1484 said:
trucke said:

Honestly, and man we are getting way off topic, not a huge fan of the Rebel just because of that weird C-pillar styling that AMC got hung up on in the early '70s and because of the rear wheel opening being smaller than the front. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/3/19 7:23 a.m.
The0retical said:

I'm a little late but Rough Country's poser stand came to my attention today.

That video was absolutely hilarious - but I have to wonder if that's a for-real SEMA display prop (in more ways than one)?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/3/19 9:53 a.m.

This may or may not be an April Fools joke on GM's part: GM files trademark application to bring back Chevrolet Cavalier

If it is a joke, it's being perpetuated by GM and not The Drive: Actual GM trademark application on USPTO website

If this is for real, I suggest they advertise it with the previous Cavalier's unofficial tagline from the GRM forum: "It will run badly longer than most cars will run at all!"

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/3/19 10:06 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

They also did the double parking mat. "Turn your problem into everyone elses." "Certain to be the second biggest tool in your truck."

Someone there has a sense of humor.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
4/12/19 3:20 p.m.

My personal favorite automotive April Fools joke was the AMC re-launch joke that Hot Rod pulled on people back in the day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
luXNSgnarIkxT2QyPYYtk9vCcfrG0I9wR3xt3LIUAn8prqon8I6MaULRBnmCuv23