1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
4/5/12 10:12 a.m.

The one we all waited for: the Buick that promised excitement.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-buick-regal-gs/

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/5/12 10:15 a.m.

If I were in the market for a sedan, I'd give it a look.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/5/12 10:24 a.m.

When did they start taking design tips from Honda? I would expect a more trend-setting design, not used and abused.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/5/12 10:31 a.m.

I hope lots of these sell, they're awesome powertrain donors. Ecotec 2.0 with a 6-speed on it? Great for a custom MR-layout vehicle.

I'm not old enough to be interested in such sedans though

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/5/12 10:34 a.m.

Wasn't there talk of all wheel drive?

Looks neat.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/5/12 10:53 a.m.

at the TOP of my new car want list...I try to keep my eyes peeled for one out in the wild, you can tell the difference on the front bumper. The GS has vertical slits, where the rest have horizontal - still havent seen one on the street. I sat in one at a Buick dealership, and it seemed quite nice inside, though my 99 Infiniti is the last "Luxury" interior I sat in, so Im sure the playing field has changed. It was nicer also than my 2010 GMC Terrain (SLT1 package - leather, 8 speaker Pioneer sound, heated seats) for reference.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/5/12 11:13 a.m.

Just the fact that there's a stick-shift Buick again warms my heart (it's been since what, the Skyhawk?), let alone one with a turbo and the fabled GS nameplate. I have a very bizarre desire to test drive one...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/5/12 11:28 a.m.
David S. Wallens said: Okay, this one comes with a stick, but here’s a question: Do I really want a manual transmission in my family sedan?

This is a question that should never be asked. Everything is made better with a manual transmission. If I was shopping for a family sedan this would be top of the list.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
4/5/12 11:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Just the fact that there's a stick-shift Buick again warms my heart (it's been since what, the Skyhawk?), let alone one with a turbo and the fabled GS nameplate. I have a very bizarre desire to test drive one...

I think you could get the last generation of the skylark with a Quad 4 and a stick. When was the last time you saw one of those Skylarks period, much less one with a stick?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/5/12 11:50 a.m.

I was on the launch for this in Traverse City. The suspension is really good, liked the gear box. Could have more steering feel, but a really nice car. It's only stick for now, but there's a promised slushbox within the year.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
4/5/12 12:00 p.m.

I actually like it, something I never, ever thought I'd say about a Buick.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
4/5/12 12:03 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: This is a question that should never be asked. Everything is made better with a manual transmission. If I was shopping for a family sedan this would be top of the list.

A while ago my car was in the shop and I took my wife's Camry (equipped with an automatic, of course) to work while she used the Suburban for running errands. Oddly enough, I found myself wanting a stick for dealing with the heavy traffic on I-285.

I know, seems counterintuitive, right? The Camry has a pretty decent automatic, up there with the ones GM designed, but it had two disadvantages in heavy traffic. One, there were often times I was dealing with traffic making a lot of sudden slow downs and speed ups, and wanted to use a lower gear for more engine braking. Two, it isn't psychic - there were times I'd anticipate I would need a different gear about five seconds down the road, and wanted to be in that gear before I got there. Paddle shifters might solve both issues, but seem a bit pretentious on a Camry...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/5/12 12:18 p.m.

The only auto I've found remotely tolerable is the Impreza's - when put into power mode. It wants to run the engine high in that mode so you have to be very gentle (by automatic standards) with the gas if you want it to drive normally. This is great, this way it always moves off in first - one of the things I hate most about autos is that they usually move off in 2nd. Also, to shift down, instead of grinding the gas into the floor and yelling "shift down you piece of E36 M3!" you just have to give it a little more gas.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/5/12 12:23 p.m.

i don't want to discourage buick or GM from doing this sort of thing AT ALL, but 3,700 lbs and only 270hp doesn't get me excited all on it's own.

maybe apples to oranges, but my nine year old maxima weighs FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS less and makes 255hp.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
4/5/12 12:28 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i don't want to discourage buick or GM from doing this sort of thing AT ALL, but 3,700 lbs and only 270hp doesn't get me excited all on it's own.

Honesetly, I don't need a rocket, but I want something remotely nimble for its size. 3700lbs does not cut it. Shame, because I think the car looks sharp and has a great powertrain. If it were 3200-3300lbs I would want.

The ATS has the same engine, RWD and is supposed to weigh <3400lbs.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
4/5/12 12:41 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: i don't want to discourage buick or GM from doing this sort of thing AT ALL, but 3,700 lbs and only 270hp doesn't get me excited all on it's own.

Honesetly, I don't need a rocket, but I want something remotely nimble for its size. 3700lbs does not cut it. Shame, because I think the car looks sharp and has a great powertrain. If it were 3200-3300lbs I would want.

The ATS has the same engine, RWD and is supposed to weigh <3400lbs.

Will be interesting to see the price point of the ATS when it arrives. For now, this Buick posts better numbers than a Fusion, and if you're looking at a well-equipped one of those, the price is in similar territory.

The V6 Fusion has a flatter powerband, but you can't get a V6 Fusion with a stick.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
4/5/12 12:48 p.m.

A large 4 door sedan is pretty much gonna weigh around 3600lbs now or more.

Even small coupe type cars are easily in the 3300lb area, with mustangs, camaros etc weighing closer to 3700lbs.

ransom
ransom Dork
4/5/12 12:52 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I was on the launch for this in Traverse City. The suspension is really good, liked the gear box. Could have more steering feel, but a really nice car. It's only stick for now, but there's a promised slushbox within the year.

While I have no interest in this particular car, it somehow fills me hope and warms the cockles of my heart to here that beyond any rumors, a major manufacturer has actually put out a manual-trans car first and will be bringing the auto later.

I feel slightly less certain that cars I want are dying out completely.

That being said, I'm just hoping that really-excellent-responding (and reliable) automanuals are the rule and not the exception if and when the normal stick shift fades away. It's an adaptation I think I could make if they really worked the way I want them to.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/5/12 12:58 p.m.

Agreed. I've experienced some really nice DCT (Audi, Porsche, AMG, Evo) transmissions and some really abysmal ones (Veloster). Took a couple of brief drives at Chelsea with Chrysler's new 8-speed ZF tranny, it seems pretty decent.

Problem is, a lot of current autos are geared for frugality, so it makes them more boring to drive. Freaking gas is up to $1.40 litre here right now. Makes my tin can beater look very much more attractive.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/5/12 12:59 p.m.
ransom wrote:
Lesley wrote: I was on the launch for this in Traverse City. The suspension is really good, liked the gear box. Could have more steering feel, but a really nice car. It's only stick for now, but there's a promised slushbox within the year.

While I have no interest in this particular car, it somehow fills me hope and warms the cockles of my heart to here that beyond any rumors, a major manufacturer has actually put out a manual-trans car first and will be bringing the auto later.

I feel slightly less certain that cars I want are dying out completely.

That being said, I'm just hoping that really-excellent-responding (and reliable) automanuals are the rule and not the exception if and when the normal stick shift fades away. It's an adaptation I think I could make if they really worked the way I want them to.

i agree with this

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
4/5/12 1:16 p.m.

I said it the first time I saw the car and it still rings true.

Fangs? Really? This twilight crap has got to stop!

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
4/5/12 1:29 p.m.

What a sweet drivetrain. I can't wait until these start showing up in the junkyards 15 yrs from now - gonna make for one awesome MR swap.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/5/12 1:42 p.m.

I really need someone to recommend this car to.
I don't want to buy it myself, but I really think that it's worth buying, I just need to find the right person.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
4/5/12 1:44 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: What a sweet drivetrain. I can't wait until these start showing up in the junkyards 15 yrs from now - gonna make for one awesome MR swap.

Boosted FWD Ecotec 2.0s have been around for ~10 years or so now. The Turbo DI (LNF) FWD version has been in cars since 2008....

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
4/5/12 2:03 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

True. I think the 6-speed is new though.

EDIT: Nope, I guess that's the G6 GT 6-speed.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
203i6uT2RzVdAafRQx2GImXvhkWW0stWOplqKd6Aba8p9av34b0fxDmIvnroF7E4