1 2 3 4
Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
4/5/12 3:09 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: When did they start taking design tips from Honda? I would expect a more trend-setting design, not used and abused.

Since when did you expect "trend setting" design from Buick? or is my sarcasm detector broken?

For a Buick, its a nice looking car...

failboat
failboat Dork
4/5/12 3:13 p.m.

looks better than most recent honda's, and the design is from 2008 (in europe)

Cotton
Cotton Dork
4/5/12 3:45 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: When did they start taking design tips from Honda? I would expect a more trend-setting design, not used and abused.

Doesn't look like any Honda to me. Most current Hondas are fugly (someone will, of course, now defend the styling of the Crosstour....I know it)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/5/12 3:57 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Doesn't look like any Honda to me. Most current Hondas are fugly (someone will, of course, now defend the styling of the Crosstour....I know it)

The last generation European Civic is only good looking Honda I can think of recently.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
4/5/12 4:19 p.m.

Ok. I know they design everything in a wind tunnel now, but does every single car made have to look like a jellybean? Buick? Kia? Mercedes? The all look alike to me.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/5/12 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie:

Hey, remember the 80's? They all looked like boxes back then.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
4/5/12 5:24 p.m.

you lost me at fwd

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
4/5/12 7:43 p.m.

In all honesty drive a new Regal and a MK5 Jetta back to back and you will think they were made by the same people. Remember that I love Jetta GLIs. I sincerely would own a Regal when they come down a bit in price.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/5/12 8:01 p.m.

Feigns interest.

Reads article.

Googles "2012 Regal GS MSRP."

Laughs hysterically.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/5/12 8:02 p.m.

And therein lies the rub. It ain't cheap.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
4/5/12 8:17 p.m.
Lesley wrote: And therein lies the rub. It ain't cheap.

$35,000? If I ever want a jelly bean car I think I will save about 15 grand and get the cheap Korean version. They all look alike to me.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/5/12 8:47 p.m.

Could you imagine the awesomeness with AWD, a 6spd, and 500 lbs less weight. Oh baby.

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
4/5/12 9:12 p.m.

Nothing is anymore, except labor.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/5/12 9:51 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Could you imagine the awesomeness with AWD, a 6spd, and 500 lbs less weight. Oh baby.

It would still be slow, heavy, expensive, and ugly...but with more expensive E36 M3 to break.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/5/12 9:53 p.m.

$35K!?! berkeley me I am out.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/5/12 10:05 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Could you imagine the awesomeness with AWD, a 6spd, and 500 lbs less weight. Oh baby.

Pretty sure they call that an STi. Made by Subaru, I think.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/5/12 10:06 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Nothing is anymore, except labor.

Yeah right, have you checked the cost of slaves lately? Even children are getting expensive. Stupid safety regs not letting me manufacture cheap shoes in my basement....

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/6/12 3:22 a.m.
Capt Slow wrote:
Since when did you expect "trend setting" design from Buick? or is my sarcasm detector broken? For a Buick, its a nice looking car...

well, there was this one car they made a while back..

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
4/6/12 8:50 a.m.

Looks nice to me. I'd definitely check a used one out in 2-3 years at half the price (which they will be).

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
4/6/12 10:11 a.m.

A 1987 Buick Grand National sold for about $17,000. That's about $33,000 in today's money. It's not overpriced for what it is.

Compare it to other cars in its segment: entry-level premium sedans. This isn't a race car. But it's not an understeering pig like the Lexus ES350, it has a nearly 100-horsepower advantage on the Infiniti G25, the Volvo S60 makes a good competitor but starts $3500 higher (and goes way up) and isn't available in a stick.

The GNX sold for $29,900. That's more than $56,000 today. You can get a mega-horsepower Shelby GT500 for that kind of scratch right now and go 200 mph.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/6/12 11:22 a.m.

Cesar gets it. everything is more expensive these days.

Show me a family car, with a turbo and a 6 speed stick, with equitable HP figures, for less.

If I want a sports car, Mustangs are probably the best value for the buck...but we're not talking about a sports car. If I want a family car that is fun as E36 M3 to drive to work every day, theres the GS.

Haters can GTFO

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/6/12 12:06 p.m.
Show me a family car, with a turbo and a 6 speed stick, with equitable HP figures, for less.

It's a 5-speed, but a 2012 WRX makes 265HP, costs $10,000 less, and weighs nearly ONE THOUSAND POUNDS less. Granted, it doesn't have a fancy button on the dash (which is guaranteed to break in the first 50,000 miles,) that delivers that world renowned handling buick offers in their 3700 lb. car, but I think I can live without that.

I honestly figured the Buick would have a $25k-$29k price tag.

For $35k, would you not rather have an STI?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/6/12 12:28 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Show me a family car, with a turbo and a 6 speed stick, with equitable HP figures, for less.

WRX or more powerful STi.

BMW 3-series

Audi A4

I really thought the Buick would be cheaper but I think it is actually decent competition for other cars of the price.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/6/12 12:33 p.m.

so apples to oranges then?

93EXCivic wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Show me a family car, with a turbo and a 6 speed stick, with equitable HP figures, for less.
WRX or more powerful STi. BMW 3-series Audi A4 I really thought the Buick would be cheaper but I think it is actually decent competition for other cars of the price.

turbo 3 series w/ 6 speed? <$35k? I havent tried to build one online, but Im doubtful...
Audi? No thanks, and the same as above applies

I actually prefer the looks of the Buick to the euro-cars

Poopshovel wrote: blah blah rather have an STI blah

Nope - I think the new batch of Imprezaz are fugly, and honestly, that matters to me. I also think the General is onto something lately with turbos and manuals and such, and would vote with my wallet to support that, if I were in such a position to do so. Subaru, on the other hand, seems to be (with the exception of the BR-whatever) on a downward slope for the better part of the last decade.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/6/12 12:36 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: so apples to oranges then?

How? The Audi A4 and BMW 3-series both have turbocharged 4-cylinders and are luxury cars in the same class. That is Apples to Apples.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BBitqurWSv09XJGMIifaYHDkuJn1wK1GvldcIuKzLitmjeLiqBI8uFN2FtY26vo5