1 2
Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/11/12 9:49 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Chris_V wrote: OTOH, I'd love to see a real review of the '99-03 XK-R. Even with the automatic, one of those would be in my stable right now (almost did it instead of the Mustang).
Number of problems with those engines. IIRC timing tensioners and cylinder liners.

I knew about the timing chain tensioners (and the fix for them), but hadn't heard about the cyl liner issue, is it like the BMW nikasil issue from the early '90s V8s that isn't an issue anymore?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/11/12 9:50 a.m.

I'd take it.

It's not a GRM type of car, it's for a different market altogether.

I must say I preferred the older body style because it looked so much like an Aston, but you give it to me and I'll drive the fool out of it for years to come.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/11/12 9:57 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Chris_V wrote: OTOH, I'd love to see a real review of the '99-03 XK-R. Even with the automatic, one of those would be in my stable right now (almost did it instead of the Mustang).
Number of problems with those engines. IIRC timing tensioners and cylinder liners.
I knew about the timing chain tensioners (and the fix for them), but hadn't heard about the cyl liner issue, is it like the BMW nikasil issue from the early '90s V8s that isn't an issue anymore?
Jag Lovers said: Until 2000, earlier version of Jaguar's AJ26 V8 engine used Nikasil cylinder liners and a number of engines had to be replaced because of high wear of the plating resulting in loss of compression and high blow by. High sulfur content in gas and infrequent oil changes contributed to this problem making it in some cases a regional isssue. Replacement engines use the same steel liners Jaguar uses in 2000 and up engines but replacement is obviously costly. A blowby test or compression check may be a good precaution when buying an early car. The VIN number indicates what type of cylinder liners the engine has. Cars with VIN ending with a 6 digits sequence have Nikasil liner engines whereas VIN ending with the letter A followed by 5 digits have a steel liner engine. More on this can be found in an article published in the May 2004 issue of Classic Jaguar World Magazine which we were allowed to reproduce here on Jag-Lovers The second issue concerns the timing chain tensioners which have occasionaly failed resulting in terminal engine damage... In nearly all cases, an engine rattle after a cold start serve as a warning sign what the tensioners are worn and need to be replaced. More on this can be found in an article published in the dec 2003 issue of Classic Jaguar World Magazine which we were allowed to reproduce here on Jag-Lovers
Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/11/12 10:06 a.m.

Ok, then it's identical to the BMW 740 and 540 issues that have possible timing chain failures (easy fix) and no longer have Nikasil engine problems (as we no longer have high sulfur fuel and any nikasil engines still running will no longer have problems).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/11/12 10:10 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Ok, then it's identical to the BMW 740 and 540 issues that have possible timing chain failures (easy fix) and no longer have Nikasil engine problems (as we no longer have high sulfur fuel and any nikasil engines still running will no longer have problems).

I think most the Nikasil engines have been replaced and the timing chain tensioners can be replaced will be later tensioners. Jag Lovers has a decent amount of information on the Jaguars.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
7/11/12 11:15 a.m.

Ok stuck in another airport. The xkr is a fabulous car, the s is to much for me. For the cash just man up and buy a db9 s used and be done with imo. Or you know buy a car built for the track with a real roof.

In fact I prefer the standard very ck to anything that they make currently. Though that will change when the vantage fighter gets released.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
7/11/12 11:41 a.m.

very ck?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/11/12 12:08 p.m.

Using a little forensic keyboard fu, I think "standard very ck" probably means "standard version xj."

Although, knowing this board, "very ck" is seconds away from becoming a euphemism for something....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
7/11/12 1:10 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Using a little forensic keyboard fu, I think "standard very ck" probably means "standard version xj." Although, knowing this board, "very ck" is seconds away from becoming a euphemism for something....

For the love of all that is holy I hope that my crappy phone keyboard skills, "very ck" is not some sort of weird internet code.

Also no sleep in 40 hours, plus way to many airports and planes and taxi's mean's very tired me. If I start typing things like "the moving walkway is coming to a end" find me and put me out of my suffering..

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
7/11/12 1:42 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Also no sleep in 40 hours, plus way to many airports and planes and taxi's mean's very tired me. If I start typing things like "the moving walkway is coming to a end" find me and put me out of my suffering..

Why so much travel? If you're looking for a change of pace, I've got some pull with the execs at Ambry.

67ES335
67ES335
7/13/12 1:09 a.m.

I was invited to test drive the XKRS but put it off for over a year because I didn't like the colors or the wing. The rest is not bad. I never did like the nose on the XK. I feel that they finally fixed it with the XKRS. I was on my way too look at a vantage S but decided to stop by and look at the XKRS first. There was a metallic gray XKRS that I fell in love with. The color makes so much of a difference! Well, I bought it and I still stare at it cuz it's so damned good looking in gray. They all look better in person but I don't like the look in anything but black or gray. All the air effect stuff that's tacked on seems to disappear with the darker colors. I do feel the hatred from some of the old school jagsters that do their best to get in front of me with a scowl on their face. Jaguar has something for all of us - can't we all just get along?

67ES335
67ES335 New Reader
7/13/12 1:13 a.m.

How the hell did I end up on this post - oops, sorry!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/13/12 1:19 a.m.
67ES335 wrote: How the hell did I end up on this post - oops, sorry!

You were searching for Jags! Welcome.

Do you have an old Gibson (from your username)?

67ES335
67ES335 New Reader
7/13/12 1:28 a.m.

I was on my way to look at a vantage S because I wasn't completely happy with the handling of the jags that I have owned (S-Type R, XFR, XKR). I didn't like the XKRS for all of the reasons previously mentioned. On the way to the Aston Martin dealership I decided to stop by and look at the XKRS. There was one in metallic gray that I fell in love with. The color makes so much of a difference! So I decided to take it for a spin and damn the thing handles good! Well, I bought it and I still stare at it cuz it's so damned good looking in gray. They all look better in person but I don't like the look in anything but black or gray. All the air effect stuff that's tacked on seems to disappear with the darker colors. And don't forget that there is much more to the XKRS than looks! I do feel the hatred from some of the old school jagsters that do their best to get in front of me with a scowl on their face. Jaguar has something for all of us. To quote Rodney - "can't we all just get along?".

67ES335
67ES335 New Reader
7/13/12 1:35 a.m.

to mtn,

I guess I did have it right. I must be tired. Anyways, yup you got it. It sounds sweet too. Got a 53ES295 but the p90's are too noisy. As a matter of fact I'm sitting at the studio console making these stupid mistakes. Peace Bro!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/13/12 1:51 a.m.
67ES335 wrote: Jaguar has something for all of us.

Nah, not at this place. Folks here are more likely to choose a Miata or E36 M3 than a Jag over here... You'll still get lots of folks who love the Jags and such, but people who are wondering how to stick a Cadillac Northstar engine in the back of a Yugo aren't quite the target market for Jaguar.

And cool guitars! When I eventually get into electrics, there is good chance I'll end up with an ES something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VihyqX64J3k39y0kbWoZeACIiiwSXXEWNmJAB2dOsw50HZrTzm2QK6EPQ4Y6HRi1