Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
1/10/13 2:28 p.m.

We got a chance to sample this little guy abroad. Yes, on exactly the roads you'd hope to. Read on:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-mini-cooper-s-coupe-jcw-edition/

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
1/10/13 2:38 p.m.

Damn that thing is fugly.

Bryce

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
1/10/13 2:47 p.m.

Imagine the kind of person who would buy this when a Toyobaru is available for less, or a Mazda2 for about half as much...

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
1/10/13 2:55 p.m.

Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works edition.

hmmm. interesting name. Kinda redunant.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/10/13 3:08 p.m.

Dynamically the car is awesome. In fact, it's almost awesome enough to overcome its many weirdnesses. At a few grand less I think it would be less controversial.

jg

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
1/10/13 3:18 p.m.

It would have to be mega-awesome to overcome those looks.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
1/10/13 5:44 p.m.

They don't look any better in person either

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/10/13 5:47 p.m.

Am I the only one that likes the Couper?

gLockman37
gLockman37 New Reader
1/10/13 9:50 p.m.

Nope not at all. Having owned an R53 for 8 years (just sold it last summer, needed a tow rig for the E30), I really don't care for new, non-Cooper, variants of the R56 (based) line; the Clubman I kinda dig but the Countryman is totally for soccermoms and the coupe takes all the lovely usefulness of a hatchback and throws it out the window for backwards ball-cap looks...

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
1/11/13 12:06 a.m.

I want to like the MINIs, but the price premium they command is kinda ridiculous. They are a whole lotta fun to drive, though.

Just playing around on MINI's site and trying to build a Coupe like this with the options I wanted, quickly blew up to 37 grand...and that was ignoring a few options that I would've liked, but could live without.

If only it weren't for the Abarth 500...or the Focus ST...or the MS3...or the FR-S/BRZ...or the Mustang GT...or the upcoming Fiesta ST...

I could keep going, but I think I've made my point.

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
1/11/13 12:20 a.m.

^^ what he said

not sure why minis still bring such money when the market is rich in and below that price point.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
1/11/13 5:58 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Am I the only one that likes the Couper?

To me it doesn't look bad, but it looks...weird. The proportions are cartoonish like a matchbox RC car.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
1/11/13 6:51 a.m.

ehh...I'll keep my R53, thanks.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/11/13 7:49 a.m.

No I love the way it looks. If it just wasn't so stupid expensive.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/11/13 7:52 a.m.

I parked my R53 next to a coupe last week...it looks like deformed Audi TT...one that got caught in a fire and had a bad plastic surgeon. And then a 20 something guy in a business suit got in it...you can't have a man card and drive one...something is just not right...and i'm not usually one to say that having owned a bunch of Miatas and all. They should all come in pink with a blonde....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
1/11/13 8:19 a.m.

I don't mind how it looks, not enough to be run off anyway.

but that price....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/11/13 9:07 a.m.

MINI will make all these goofy designs but why no pickup?!?!

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
1/11/13 9:52 a.m.

The coupe is out of proportion, it just looks weird. Like a cheaply done chop top.

I have to agree with the comments about it's excellent dynamics though. Having been a recent owner of an R56, they are a hoot to drive. I did some fun blasts down winding and hilly roads and had a big E36 M3 eating grin on my face the whole time. And I got 34mpg to boot. The ergonomics are head scratching. That, plus my wife's need for a bigger car and my constant fear that I was driving a ticking time bomb lead me to get rid of it. But they sure are fun to drive.

If I was to get another MINI, I'd go non-turbo R56 hatch. All the chassis dynamics, with none of the screwy looks of a Coupe or Countryman (Clubman isn't too bad), stupid good gas mileage and much more reliable.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/11/13 10:40 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
To me it doesn't look bad, but it looks...weird. The proportions are cartoonish like a matchbox RC car.

It's growing on me. Would much rather drive one than some souless appliance ....that's for sure.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/11/13 10:51 a.m.

A guy autocrosses one with the BMWCCA here. It's quick and the dynamics of the car when it's driving look fantastic. It's just so hard to look at. Mini does seem to make something for everyone though and I guess maybe that's the point?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a7t8ObEQ9JPv7TyYAY5rgfVz2qbQIbYMUXRzyYXCxi7jFNmo7jabDT7kXLTduIYf