1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
8/23/12 11:29 a.m.

Here it is. We sampled a fresh FR-S from the press fleet. It had only 300 miles on it, and we were all fighting for the keys. We brought it into the office to get its corner weights, and we also tried getting in the back seat. It was not easy.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2013-scion-fr-s/

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/23/12 11:34 a.m.

What a wonderful world we live in these days when a 94-95mph quarter mile trap translates to "so underpowered."

Good times, my friends, good times.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
8/23/12 11:51 a.m.

My kids could totally fit. So it has a back seat in the same way that a 911 has a back seat. Is this really a problem?

nocones
nocones Dork
8/23/12 11:52 a.m.

Nice review. And thanks for making useful beter than not as good as. I really wish this car had a good backseat. I still like it and may end up owning one in a few years when the kids are in boosters.

HunterJP
HunterJP Reader
8/23/12 11:53 a.m.

At 5'10".... ok 5'9", with the seat raised up, and my wife in her normal driving position, I could sit behind her. Had to tilt my head, but I was back there. REALLY wish the passenger seat raised up, as well.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/23/12 12:01 p.m.

Quoted from the GRM review:

"...At least you won’t have to worry about rear-seat passengers blocking your view, as humans don’t fit in the back seat...."

Well...I guess that explains a lot about my daughter and womans in general. I always suspected the non-human bit!

Picture was on the way to the prom. And yeah, it is a tad crowded, but the Limo thing is so overdone.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/23/12 12:02 p.m.
Review said: ...local dealer for a quote and were hit with $6,250 over MSRP.

Has it been decided yet if this pratcie is "allowed" by Scion?

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
8/23/12 12:03 p.m.

A back seat like an RX-7 2+2 - in other words, it's there to meet the technical definition of a back seat to keep the insurance costs down.

Underpowered? Slippery tires? Sounds like a stock NA Miata to me. I like a stock NA Miata, because you can indulge yourself in the twisties without having to reach warp speed to begin approaching the limits of the car.

Sounds like my kind of car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/23/12 12:14 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: Sounds like my kind of car.

I really liked it. Not sure which color, though.

imirk
imirk HalfDork
8/23/12 12:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Whiteout or ultramarine,

or WR Blue from Subie

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
8/23/12 12:55 p.m.

In reply to imirk:

Except there's a premium price for White. That's what I wanted until I saw they charged more for it.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
8/23/12 12:58 p.m.

I did a "fun run" in one last week at an autox. I really liked it, too. I think it is a handsome, understated car that is as honest as any new car can be. I didn't "heel and toe" -- someone told me the override on the brakes made that impossible. Any one know about that?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/23/12 1:00 p.m.

Go with White - Per the JNC guys... white is overwhelmingly the car color of choice in Japan. Why? This is just our own theory, but it’s all about contrast. Tires have to be black. Taillights have to be red. On many modern cars where taillights are not separated by chrome or rubber trim, red paint strips away the defining features of the rear. Traditional Japanese art consists mainly of stark black ink on white paper, with a little dash of red inkan. Those colors must speak to some deeply ingrained cultural wavelength among Japanese drivers, and Japanese cars are designed to just plain look good in white.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2012/05/31/project-neo86-introducing-the-jnc-scion-fr-s/#more-19887

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/23/12 1:29 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
Review said: ...local dealer for a quote and were hit with $6,250 over MSRP.
Has it been decided yet if this pratcie is "allowed" by Scion?

Allowed doesn't mean squat, they are still doing it.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/23/12 1:32 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: What a wonderful world we live in these days when a 94-95mph quarter mile trap translates to "so underpowered." Good times, my friends, good times.

Not bad for a 30+k "economy" car.......I do like them, just not the current markup or fanboi hype.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/23/12 1:37 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I did a "fun run" in one last week at an autox. I really liked it, too. I think it is a handsome, understated car that is as honest as any new car can be. I didn't "heel and toe" -- someone told me the override on the brakes made that impossible. Any one know about that?

Ugh, no way. I will be really disappointed in Toyota if this is true, especially considering that new cars have both a speedometer and a clutch pedal sensor.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
8/23/12 2:41 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I did a "fun run" in one last week at an autox. I really liked it, too. I think it is a handsome, understated car that is as honest as any new car can be. I didn't "heel and toe" -- someone told me the override on the brakes made that impossible. Any one know about that?

What I had read is that system allows for overlap of gas and brake inputs for up to a certain amount of time, like 0.75 or 1.5 seconds, before kicking in. It's enough leeway that you can left-foot brake or heel-toe, but not so much that they get a repeat of the runaway Prius issue.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
8/23/12 2:50 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Go with White - Per the JNC guys... white is overwhelmingly the car color of choice in Japan. Why? This is just our own theory, but it’s all about contrast. Tires have to be black. Taillights have to be red. On many modern cars where taillights are not separated by chrome or rubber trim, red paint strips away the defining features of the rear. Traditional Japanese art consists mainly of stark black ink on white paper, with a little dash of red inkan. Those colors must speak to some deeply ingrained cultural wavelength among Japanese drivers, and Japanese cars are designed to just plain look good in white. http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2012/05/31/project-neo86-introducing-the-jnc-scion-fr-s/#more-19887

My own theory is a bit shorter: Because Takumi's AE86 was white.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/23/12 3:08 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: What a wonderful world we live in these days when a 94-95mph quarter mile trap translates to "so underpowered." Good times, my friends, good times.

Nothing like 15 years of innovation and technology to provide the same acceleration as an Integra Type R.

The BR-S is underpowered. Is that a horrible thing? No, but that doesn't mean we ignore the fact.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/23/12 4:01 p.m.

True story. It is more powerful then any car I have ever owned (running or not) by at least 70bhp. So to me it seems plenty powerful.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/23/12 4:04 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
Nothing like 15 years of innovation and technology to provide the same acceleration as an Integra Type R. The BR-S is underpowered. Is that a horrible thing? No, but that doesn't mean we ignore the fact.

I don't look at the FRS as underpowered but rather as "Not overpowered".

Its a glass half full kind of thing. Or as us engineers like to say when the glass is half full: "Excess Capacity".

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/23/12 4:23 p.m.

The chassis has excess capacity. It needs to be filled with another 80 horsepower.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/23/12 4:36 p.m.

It's definitely under-powered, just like the RX-8 is under-powered, the Miata is under-powered, and the 128i is under-powered.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/23/12 4:43 p.m.

In reply to rotard:

Y'all have very different definitions of underpowered then me. A 2CV is underpowered. A FRS isn't.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
8/23/12 6:27 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: The chassis has excess capacity. It needs to be filled with an LS.

fixed

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AldfKw3s4DI9VnLnzhldl64jQEcotX21DVH9jgasxyrmE4qCh8Th8JgmOIWvfD27