1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
1/17/13 11:11 a.m.

It's quiet, fast, and smooth. What do you guys think of this hottest small Volvo?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2013-volvo-c30-polestar-edition/

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/17/13 11:17 a.m.

I like the looks, especially the backend, but I don't understand the pricing. For $35k there are a lot of cars to choose from.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
1/17/13 11:22 a.m.

I test drove one a few years ago. It was nice, but had a soft & boring chassis. It wasn't nearly as sporty as the exterior suggested.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/17/13 11:25 a.m.

I always liked the C30, but I didn't even know that they were still making them.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/17/13 11:27 a.m.

It is nice but for that price I am driving to the MINI dealer.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/17/13 11:48 a.m.

I like the looks, like the color, wish it were RWD.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/17/13 11:49 a.m.

this is the last year for the C30... the local dealer has a Polestar.. that is one BRIGHT blue. Right up there with the bright blue ford used to put on the Mustang.

For that kind of money.. as much as I would like to have a C30.. I think I would be shopping BMW 1 series

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/17/13 11:54 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: this is the last year for the C30... the local dealer has a Polestar.. that is one BRIGHT blue. Right up there with the bright blue ford used to put on the Mustang.

Grabber Blue.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/17/13 11:56 a.m.

If it was 5 doors I'd buy it. I think I'll look for getting the S60 polestar instead though.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/17/13 12:00 p.m.

Love the C30, but preferred it before the refresh and with two tone interior and monochromatic paint extending to sills and wheel surrounds. I think 2011 was the refresh year. Great car, priced too high. Would prefer it to the mini. Love the 2.5T.

Test drove a 2011 as spec'd above with 45K, almost bought it, got married instead. Still. Driving. 28. Year. Old. Benz...

Matt B
Matt B Dork
1/17/13 12:17 p.m.

I've always like the C30, but it's never been as interesting to own as some of the other more performance-oriented competition. This option package changes that. Not that I could afford it anyway. Too bad it's in it's last year. There's not enough 2-door hatches being made anymore.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/17/13 12:20 p.m.

I agree with the pricing complaints, but love the car. Now that C30s are coming up on 5 years old, it's got me thinking it may be time to start stalking their depreciation curve.

edit: Nevermind, still too much. Like those, though.

Margie

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
1/17/13 12:27 p.m.

Yeah it's something I'd consider if the cost was in the low/mid-$20k region...and I could afford a new car

Edit: Wait, no, it's 3200lbs

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/17/13 12:43 p.m.

I love it, it looks great, sounds great, drives great. What's not to like? The price, but then I'm too cheap for any new car price to matter so don't listen to me on that one.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
1/17/13 12:44 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: If it was 5 doors I'd buy it.

No. Go buy one of the the other hatchbacks that won't make a 3-door anymore if that's what you want. Every manufacturer is slowly dropping them to only make 5-doors, and that in my opinion that SUCKS.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
1/17/13 12:52 p.m.

"Polestar". Heh.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
1/17/13 12:54 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
No. Go buy one of the the other hatchbacks that won't make a 3-door anymore if that's what you want. Every manufacturer is slowly dropping them to only make 5-doors, and that in my opinion that SUCKS.

+ 100,000

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/17/13 1:01 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:

+1

One of my MINI/classic Volvo buddies has a C30. He wanted one as soon as it was introduced (he and his wife also have a '71 1800E and a '73 1800ES). He has basically replaced his MCS with the C30. He likes the Volvo engine more and the car gets better fuel economy, but he misses the handling of the MINI sometimes.

He bought the C30 used. The new price was just too much to take.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
1/17/13 1:08 p.m.

I'm sure Adrian Thompson will post in this thread soon, but I've driven his C30 quite a bit, and it's a wonderful little car, IMO. Awesome, torquey engine, nice interior with great seats, and more room than you'd think. The handling is pretty good keeping in mind that it's not meant to be a "hot hatch" more of a balanced everyday driver. Which, personally, is more along the lines of what I'd want to live with every day.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/17/13 1:17 p.m.

LOVE the styling. They catch my eye every time I see one. Second sexiest volvo butt evar. It will be interesting to see what the other contenders are when these are 5 grand.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/17/13 1:19 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mad_machine wrote: this is the last year for the C30... the local dealer has a Polestar.. that is one BRIGHT blue. Right up there with the bright blue ford used to put on the Mustang.
Grabber Blue.

also reminds me of some of the Porsche bright blues, like mexico and riviera.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
1/17/13 1:20 p.m.

I thought:

A) The polestar c30 version was awd and would never be made.

B) The C30 is dead.

Regardless of my upside down world, I love the c30, love the polestar colorscheme, and love that this one got a little more power. too bad only 250 of them.

The c30 r package has always been just an appearance package that I am aware of.

In other news, I saw a focus st at a local dealer with a 31k sticker....

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
1/17/13 1:21 p.m.

I have always liked the way they look, just have not been in a position to buy one yet.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/17/13 1:28 p.m.

Love the look of the c30s. Wish it was RWD (but I could probably get over it for a commuter) and in my book, the black wheels thing is well past. For the new price there's other hardware I'd be taking a look at. Interesting that I have a 318ti - 3 door hatch/rwd that has been one of my all time favorite cars to live with.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
1/17/13 1:34 p.m.
Dashpot wrote: I test drove one a few years ago. It was nice, but had a soft & boring chassis. It wasn't nearly as sporty as the exterior suggested.

I disagree, and I've said that a lot on here. I test drove the C30, the MS6 and the MS3 all at the same time. Hands down the C30 was the best overall compromise of ride and handling. No it's a rock hard hot hatch, but yes it is a supreamly comfortable car that is still fun to thrash around. To me the MS3 was unacceptably harsh, fine if I was 20, but not for 40+. If you live and breath cone dodging then the MS3 or other hot hatches are a better bet, but if 99% of your miles are on real streets the C30 wins hands down. Also despite it's shock horror 3,200lb girth, all the torque (90% available from 1,800rpm up) makes it feel very light of foot.

Tiny pic from the Nurburgring 'Web cam' when it was less than a week old.

Parking lot at the ring, waiting to go out.

Autocrossing it back on tihs continent.

Mine's 4 1/2 years old, 60K miles and I never intend to sell it. It's the first and only car I haven't got board with and want to change.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QI1AdpGU1wRZjjPP4QPjQJzjiIdLZ6wgYEXMAZSwEHTqixtawIGdRqgQ9rtp6SEz