2 3 4 5
JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
12/27/20 2:39 p.m.

imagesbytjm
imagesbytjm
12/27/20 4:06 p.m.

Just a 2 car with little extra depth.  Getting stickers planned out for Miata race car ('96 with Ford 5.0)  and new seals for rear doors on shop truck ('53 Ford panel with 360 MOPAR).  Really need a lift but no place to put it...

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
12/27/20 4:27 p.m.

The garage at my house is used like a normal garage at a house, ie, wife's car, bicycles, garden tools, etc.

So I bought a 1500 sf warehouse in a commercial project and converted it into my private shop space. I added the 500 sf mezzanine for storage too.

I've had it since 2012 and it's now pretty well equipped. And it's 10 minutes from the house so I'm not bugging my wife by being around the house all day.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/27/20 7:36 p.m.

My 24x36

Metal work table with welder and drill press on the left. Compressor on the right and bench across the back with sink in the corner. The engine hoist is taken apart and tucked into the wall on the right. For the once every couple years I need it not worth having it assembled and taking up a ton of room. Had to move the winter DD and lawn furniture out to take pics, lucky we had some sun today. Not much happening during the winter, no heat out here. Cleaned up in the fall so things are fairly well organized right now.

Dallas
Dallas New Reader
12/28/20 8:59 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

In 2020 my wife and I built our shop.  finished 1 week before. Christmas.  Still need to organize and move all my tools and supplies into it.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
12/28/20 9:02 a.m.

The three (3) car attached garage of approximately 1000SF.   Historically referred to as the clean garage (though after being built 9-yrs ago, opinions now differ on the validity of that reference...).

From inside the clean garage looking out.

Last seen (by me) leaving the dirty garage; if this '95 325i had a rear suspension carrier, it would be attached to reinforced mounts on the body.  Any GRM Staffers know this car's current status?

One (1) of my current projects, and my primary excuse for why the shop is currently such a mess!
This recently acquired (bare) 1967 MGB GT body-shell came from the Arizona desert, and while it's not perfect, it is providing a MUCH MORE SOLID foundation for the rebuilding  of the '67 GT in the next picture...

... parked in front of the 30' x 35' dirty garage.  The astute viewer will notice the tarp is placed UNDER the car!  Its previous resting place was (up to about) 20-yrs of outside storage in Massachusetts.  As soon as it was offloaded__a story unto itself, with swollen hydraulic hoses keeping the brakes locked on__it has been repeatedly treated with a regular dousing of Kroil on all accessible fasteners.  To date, I have been very successful removing the bolts I've made attempts on, so Kroil FTW!

In summary, I have very few pictures of the shop/garages themselves, focusing more on what's being worked on or stored inside.  Since it's warming up now here in SW Florida (been in the 40s @ night, and barely reaching the 60s during the day) I'll try to remember to open up the door, get a good look around. and snap some interior pics.

A couple of parting shots from the dirty garage looking out ;)

I hope y'all had a nice Christmas, and here's hoping that we all have a much better time with 2021 than 2020!

Scott Skillman
Scott Skillman New Reader
12/28/20 9:58 a.m.

Here in West Austin out at Lake Travis I have a bit of a messy shop. It has been straightened up a little since these shots were taken. It was amazing how quickly this 30x40' space was filled up after it was built in 1999. About half the stuff seemed to show up from friends and neighbors. We are lucky with COTA being the closest track, Harris Hill road just less than an hour away and 3 other tracks within 4 hours. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
12/29/20 11:33 a.m.

I built this garage last year and it's the best investment I ever made. I love the space to work and collect junk and escape the real world for a bit!

Richard Richer
Richard Richer New Reader
12/31/20 3:00 p.m.

I took your recommendation to "not clean it up" to heart, so here it is in all its jammed up glory!  Two things that are somewhat not the normal in these pix, even for me... first, to use the shop I need to pull out certain equipment, like the snowblower and the garbage pails; second, I'm in the middle of restoring and doing a nose to tail service on a 2000 BMW K1200LT motorcycle and the bodywork of what seems like a hundred pieces are removed and on every horizontal surface.  Aside from the snowblower and BMW there is a generator, compressor, an Ariel Red Hunter, Yamaha Virago and Morris Mini all parked in this 15x15 two car garage.  The rear 4x15 deck at about 4 feet high was installed at the height to be able to fit the Mini under it.  Can't wait to get the BMW back together and be able to breathe a little bit.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/31/20 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Richard Richer :

You're a better man that I am, that amount of clutter would have me in therapy for months.

Djaabrams
Djaabrams
12/31/20 8:06 p.m.

I always wanted to have a shop custom built,  so this is my 32 x 44 foot building. One half is a motorhome bay plus the air compressor and media blaster. The other half is the shop with 10K lift and all moveable storage. Slowly building a divider between the two. The heater is the leftover air handler from a failed heat pump from the house. It takes 100A of the 200A service,  don't skimp on the electricity! If I could do anything differently,  i would install a taller door on the shop side.  At 7 ft. It limits the height of lifted vehicles.  The epoxy floor was from Eastwood and peeled a bit. Fixed and finished with a much less expensive Rustoleum product.  I do have a 600 sq foot garage under the house that we use for motorcycle work and storage.  Overall I'm thrilled,  this has been a dream for decades. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/31/20 10:06 p.m.

I did a build thread on my current shop, but the opening picture from this thread had me out adding lights to the lift pillars and cross bar this afternoon. I didn't realize just how much light it was adding until I pulled the car in and it lit up. Nice!

30x40 "dirty" shop for car stuff, the house garage has a 10x14 (ish) area that is for electronics and house maintenance and clean stuff and mild woodworking. Also has a stained glass work area. For dusty woodwork, I set up in the driveway. 

naterkane
naterkane New Reader
1/2/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to naterkane :

Current shop is smaller than my last space and weirdly triangular. Everything is shoehorned in here minus the 250sq ft storage space I needed to rent to store additional bins, wheels, etc. There's not much room to move around hence the move and upgrade 

​​​​

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/2/21 11:17 a.m.

I have been splitting time between project work and shop work (mostly shop work). I just finished installing new lights, so tis picture shows off that. I still have to build a shelf over the lathe to hang the last LED light under. Three sets of Husky shelves are on the right wall, big husky roller behind the bunny, Craftsman roller in the back left, next to the lathe. Blaster cabinet, parts washer, and bench grinder as an island in the front left. Flammable storage (old metal locking gun cabinet)  inside the corner on the left. Press and air compressor (behind the press) on the left. Soldering station in the back center, and a moving table setup (currently welding projects) floating out in the middle.  The lights are a huge upgrade. I had five florescent fixtures with four working tubes between them. Now I have seven twin row LED fixtures (two get blocked by the garage door when open) and one more going in over the lathe.

Raszaron
Raszaron New Reader
1/3/21 7:11 p.m.

We've been in our home for over 5 years now.  My biggest reason for wanting this home was the size of the garage (my wife loved all the storage and pantry).  However, if you know Nebraska, you know 90-100 degree days in the summer, and below zero in the winter.  Working on projects is only comfortable about 6-7 months a year.  So over this last year we did a little work to the garage (and the project cars).  My father came over and we installed a heat pump in the spring, and my father-in-law helped me over the holidays to install insulation in the attic and walls... now a constant 60 degree garage is enjoyed! 

Additionally, added a lot of LED lights.  Sub-panel for separate electrical, and multiple shelves and work benches.  Once the 1964 Chevy truck is done, a lift is next.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/3/21 9:39 p.m.

Had to make some room to test the lift with the first oil change I did myself on this car. Its $5 cheaper to get it done around the corner frown

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/3/21 10:39 p.m.

My garage is sometimes a disaster area, but for most of the COVID year I've had plenty of time to clean up after every project, so it's actually been pretty tidy for the most part. But here's some random pics from the last few months.

Gets a little crowded in there with two cars inside hiding from an upcoming tropical storm

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
1/4/21 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Richard Richer :

How on earth do you find anything at all in there ????!!!!!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/4/21 10:55 a.m.

Uncleaned as is photo of current state of the main work area.  This is about 33% of the shop

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/6/21 12:37 p.m.

AEM just sent me their latest shop tour, and I thought it was a pretty cool watch. But unblur the EV stuff!!

Richard Richer
Richard Richer New Reader
1/9/21 11:10 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

It does drive me nuts.  The worst part is no heat here in NY so working in 32 degrees doesn't let me get much done before I lose feeling in my hands and feet.  I'll try a portable heater with the door closed but that trips the claustrophobia feelings so there's the tradeoff in that.  I am done wth the mechanicals and halfway done with reassembly on the BMW bodywork so the end is in sight!  I'll get better photos later when its completed.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/10/21 9:27 a.m.

I am so jealous of some of the spaces you guys have. Not of the cold weather that you have to deal with. 

bigjak
bigjak None
1/10/21 11:39 p.m.

This is my fortress of solitude..

BKO5
BKO5
1/13/21 9:50 p.m.

Here's my garage, its small 19' deep by 21' wide but Ive been able to do whole lot ranging from pulling engines to light fabrication. Its heated in the winter and has A/C in the summer.

Being an attached is a huge plus for me, I dont spend a whole of time in the garage since Im always needed elsewhere in the house by either kids or wife so being able to step into the garage to do a little work here and there or check a measurement is really convenient. We also have a large driveway though so that makes up for the small garage. Im currently restoring an old Craftsman Series Truck to the best of my ability lol.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/5/21 8:00 p.m.

Back from the dead!

I was actually planning on going in early this weekend and shooting a little cell phone walk through of the shop but Joe went and did one last weekend and it went up today

Towards the end is the world debut of the comically bad idea of setting my car vertically to work on the floors. 

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhkm6O3PdKOoTsmnjfVEShEPAwGTzgQcJzvOxFPPy8Vd1TK2YFMdOt0VXaog0fDu