1 2 3
nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 1:51 p.m.

Nearly most of us live in the USA.  There are pockets of us distributed across the country and everyone of us has a similar disease that seems to make bad ideas seem good, and projects seem to be the name of the game.  A while back Robbie, Gumby, and Myself established that there existed a triangle of bad decisions within our area as that was the only possible explanation for the bad ideas we tended to take on.  I realized that a map could be generated of the (Vague) location of noteworthy GRM forum lore and project cars. 

I present the Childrens First Map :  GRM States of America

Fullsize: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2021/03/05/1614981446_grm-states-of-america.png

I initially posted this in the XJR4TI build thread but it was recommended that it get it's own thread.   

Please provide witty things to add to this map.  I will try to add your suggestions as space allows, and update the map on this first post. 

I honestly am not trying to provide identifying information for anyone.  This is literally based on a childrens map that I blanked a bunch of stuff out.  Most of the states aren't even shaped correctly.  

If anything I have put on offends the responsible party let me know and I can change it or remove reference to you.   Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 1:54 p.m.

Unhealthy German Car Addiction is too far south.

Also you are missing the Capitol (Challenge).

I feel like Florida should also say "bad decisions".

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Noted and will be updated.  

I didn't want to dog on FL to much..  

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I'm from FL. Bag away!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
3/5/21 2:00 p.m.

I am happy to be nearby the 'Very Pink Canadian Car'

I see nothing else other than looking forward to learning where to travel through for concentration of GRM members in the future.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/5/21 2:07 p.m.

I think Zamboni is on the wrong side of northern Kentucky. Powar's herd of Saabs just south of Louisville is probably worth mentioning too. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/5/21 2:12 p.m.

"OCD builds" needs to move about 1/3rd of a state west and about 1/3rd of a state south...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 2:13 p.m.

Can you make Florida fight with Minnesota over BBC?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/5/21 2:17 p.m.

Put "Kit Car Mountain" on Enterprise, AL. That's Very Cool Parts, where we build stupid stuff and do most of our dyno testing.

I'd also suggest "Stampie's Jungle" on Jacksonville, FL.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/5/21 2:20 p.m.

You beat me to Atlanta being good craigslist fodder. Actually, we were buying cars from there before CL. **golf clap**

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/5/21 2:20 p.m.

NMNA but can I submit Boxster heaven? That's notable. 

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 2:35 p.m.

Many updates now incorporated.  

Thanks guys!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/5/21 3:03 p.m.

Oh, I thought of another: The Rotary Spitfire lives in Asheville, NC. That's also where we finished Curmudgeon's Rotary Miata.

Rotary Heaven in Asheville maybe? Or Magic Spinning Dorito Shrine? Or Apex Seal Desert?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/5/21 3:10 p.m.

Some possible additions: 

Holland, Michigan: Carl Heideman's zone of smart solutions

Columbia, Maryland: Free Parking (possibly) at Porsche Club of America

Nashville, Tennessee: Weird Car Central at Lane Motor Museum

Gainesville, Florida: $2000 Challenge

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/5/21 3:30 p.m.

Santa Barbara, CA (North of LA on the Ocean) put the tag of "all the Land Cruisers" 

Right near LAX airport put a tag for "stunt driving division" or just Baby Driver. 

San Diego needs a tag too. Maybe something like Ferris Wheel of Really cool car ownership. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/5/21 3:37 p.m.

Grosh is a bit west of it's actual location, but being the only noteworthy part of Texas is entertaining nonetheless. 

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Having Jonny Pruitt as a friend I concur.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/5/21 3:47 p.m.

Michigan's entry needs to say something about road salt and/or rust.

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 3:50 p.m.

I was suprised too..  But I mean..  the idea's aren't rolling in to save Texas.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/5/21 3:57 p.m.
nocones said:

I was suprised too..  But I mean..  the idea's aren't rolling in to save Texas.  

The funny part is the Grosh on the map is pretty close to where COTA actually is. More noteworthy that the current US F1 track is a good place to be. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/5/21 4:02 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'd also suggest "Stampie's Jungle" on Jacksonville, FL.

I was thinking another migratory pathway, like the Free Lotus.

Stampie's been everywhere, man.  Crossed the deserts bare, man.  Breathed the mountain air, man.

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 4:02 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I can come run a trackday in the GROSH anytime I want where as COTA..  

The map is more about noteworthing GRM forum things.  I only put Road America on there because I thought it was funny with Beer+Brats.  And I figured RossD wouldn't get bent out of shape if those things claimed Wisconsin.  I suppose we could map out some more Road Courses...  I was concerned to many things would crowd out noteworthy forum members and builds.  But Texas is pretty big. .  

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/5/21 4:12 p.m.

Ok more updates.  You guys are coming up with some good ones.  I'm rewording many of them because I wanted the map to speak in "one voice" but if people would prefer I can put suggestions as they are.

Also the Link button is not working on the comment tab.  It makes the screen dim but a popup never appears.  All the others seem to be working.  I was trying to link to the "full" version of the map.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/5/21 4:12 p.m.
nocones said:

I'm pretty sure I can come run a trackday in the GROSH anytime I want where as COTA..  

The map is more about noteworthing GRM forum things.  I only put Road America on there because I thought it was funny with Beer+Brats.  And I figured RossD wouldn't get bent out of shape if those things claimed Wisconsin.  I suppose we could map out some more Road Courses...  I was concerned to many things would crowd out noteworthy forum members and builds.  But Texas is pretty big. .  

COTA: Only on this map to fill in the M.M.B.T*

*Miles and miles of berkeleying Texas

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
3/5/21 4:54 p.m.

Mass shiny happy people and potholes? devil

Edited to  bypass the forum filters for clarity: MASS holes and potholes.   But I like the forum filter version better. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GvXTwCUAG4p75Zpd98BirjEDYjg5qjMQs6KdbDYVhPZwhGYC5HwpXMKgXDTx1lTS