1 2 3
EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/18/09 9:20 a.m.

LOL it is like ready old Computer adds from amil order comapanies. the format is the same the prices are the same only the product picture is different.

:-)

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/18/09 9:27 a.m.

i would LOVE to be able to download my issues in .pdf format as well as get them in the mail. i travel alot, so that would mean less paper weight in my carry on

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/18/09 2:08 p.m.

To rip off the Virginia Slims ad, you've come a long way baby.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
9/18/09 2:21 p.m.

Wow, those Yokohama 008's were the end of my being able to show up at an event on regular street tires and expect to win. Those and the Comp TA R1's were the beginning of the end for true street tires in stock classes.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/18/09 3:01 p.m.

Tim, is it bad form to request a free issue when I sign up for the electronic version if I'm already a subscriber? All my issues get sent home, I don't see them till I come home--I usually get three at a time!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
9/18/09 3:42 p.m.

I'm gonna be on the track on A008's tomorrow! Ha!

Very cool.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/18/09 9:05 p.m.
mtn wrote: Tim, is it bad form to request a free issue when I sign up for the electronic version if I'm already a subscriber?

I actually left the free issue box checked by mistake and noticed it as I clicked enter. I felt like a jerk.

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
9/18/09 9:29 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Can you do number 2 also?

You didn't mean for that to turn out like that, did you...

Jay
Jay Dork
9/19/09 5:13 a.m.

Did they ever make an A016?

keethrax
keethrax Reader
9/20/09 4:32 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mtn wrote: Tim, is it bad form to request a free issue when I sign up for the electronic version if I'm already a subscriber?
I actually left the free issue box checked by mistake and noticed it as I clicked enter. I felt like a jerk.

Don't feel like a jerk. Just give it to someone who you think may be interested. Maybe you'll find a new customer for them.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/20/09 5:24 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: I was two years old

OT but...

2002maniac, I like your avatar. Is that an actual papercraft you can download somewhere or just a random pic?

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
9/20/09 5:42 p.m.
TJ wrote: Anyone else running tires that were advertised in the first issue?

I ran 008 Yokos on my F-Prepared 240Z before switching to Goodyear slicks.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
9/21/09 4:24 p.m.

I have had good luck getting rid of spare GRM's on the registration table at events.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
9/21/09 5:54 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
suprf1y wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: I'm trying to figure out how there were letters to the editor and tech questions in the first issue.
They just made them up, like they do now.
We did not! We got our friends to write them. FWIW, I TOLD Tim it was weird to have letters. He said people wouldn't know they could write in unless they saw them. What did we know? We were a couple of <25s sitting in the spare room of a rental house. (And given that, what did we have to lose?!) Margie

I'm joking, of course.

I've always wondered. In order to start a magazine, how much content do you need in the bank at any given time?

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/21/09 10:18 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: I have had good luck getting rid of spare GRM's on the registration table at events.

I've had a few stolen on the train whie I nap. It would be nice if they let me finish first.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/22/09 12:35 a.m.

Nice! I like the '83 Starion on the second to last page.

Jay
Jay Dork
9/22/09 1:00 p.m.

Reading issue #1 was so cool that I finally re-upped my subscription. Yee-ah.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/22/09 1:05 p.m.

I know you're joking, Suprf1y... and that you're right!

As for what editorial you need in the bank to start a magazine, uh... nothing. At least, that's what we had. We made an issue, went and drank waayy too much with our friends to celebrate the night we got it back from the printer, then woke up the next morning with gummy mouths, ferocious headaches and the dawning realization that now we had to do it all over again, and in much less time. And that was the day we started to become "grown ups."

Margie

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
9/22/09 1:14 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I know you're joking, Suprf1y... and that you're right! As for what editorial you need in the bank to start a magazine, uh... nothing. At least, that's what we had. We made an issue, went and drank waayy too much with our friends to celebrate the night we got it back from the printer, then woke up the next morning with gummy mouths, ferocious headaches and the dawning realization that now we had to do it all over again, and in much less time. And that was the day we started to become "grown ups." Margie

What an awesomely momentous and at the same time E36M3-tty day that mustve been. I bet it was hard to know that morning what your lives were going to transform into over the next qtr century...

FWIW Margie, I think its FRIGGIN AWESOME that you remember lil tidbits like the letters thing from way back when. Thats the kinda stuff that makes this forum and readership feel more like family than its supposed to

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/22/09 7:57 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I know you're joking, Suprf1y... and that you're right! As for what editorial you need in the bank to start a magazine, uh... nothing. At least, that's what we had. We made an issue, went and drank waayy too much with our friends to celebrate the night we got it back from the printer, then woke up the next morning with gummy mouths, ferocious headaches and the dawning realization that now we had to do it all over again, and in much less time. And that was the day we started to become "grown ups." Margie

What I find funny is Tim's attitude about the whole thing, even today (I got to talk to him for a minute at The Mitty). He still sounds like he's absolutely amazed that it's successful, and worried that the whole thing will go belly-up tomorrow. There's no Charles Foster Kane hiding inside that man, is there..

I'm so proud of y'all. Yeah, I've never done anything to help but subscribe from time to time (and as a corner worker, handed over some issues to the spectators that mentioned they would "..love to race, if it wasn't so expensive.."), but all of us in SEDIV SCCA back then thought of "that little magazine from Florida" as our own.

Oh, yah..that reminds me..my subscription to CM is expiring, I guess I better go renew that.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/23/09 6:05 a.m.

Thanks guys and as an aside, we have no intention of just going digital, or in fact even a second digital edition right now. This is just an experiment with this new technology, We want to see, on a one time basis, how you, our present and future readers respond. I see this as more of a marketing tool for the magazine, as it is way cheaper and easier to send out digital samples, than actual samples. If this ever did become a regular thing, I see readers reading the paper version and then using the digital version to check out the cool videos that will be embedded and also to order stuff from advertisers, as ads will be hot linked to websites.

We will see, as we live in an ever changing world!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/23/09 8:23 a.m.
Woody wrote: Wow, I didn't realize that you could buy a new TVR in the US 25 years ago. Of course, not many people did....

I remember when the Tasmin first came out. V6 Ford, etc.

That whole issue was pretty cool. Strange to see ads without a Web address in them, I guess folks didn't expect instant gratification back then.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/23/09 9:01 a.m.

The good old days of sending off two bucks for a catalog and then waiting for it to come.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
9/23/09 1:17 p.m.

As a fairly recent (last five years) reader and current 10-yr. subscriber, it's cool to see how far things have come. I'll cast my vote for staying with a print version, as they're always fun reading from time to time. Looking forward to trying digital too, though, as it offers so much more room for mixing media/technology (as Tim alluded to).

It's funny reading a lot of people saying that they leave issues at doctor's offices, etc. to try to get new subscribers. I find myself doing the same (I have the long-term sub and one from NASA). I can't think of any other non-automotive business that I so readily promote, but this magazine seems to do that.

This could easily turn into a rant on the importance of small entrepreneurial business and the lack of Gov't/tax support, but I'll leave it alone. Suffice it to say I'm glad I found GRM and will be reading, in whatever format it's produced, for a very long time.

mw
mw Reader
9/25/09 9:44 a.m.

I still have an old set of A008's that I use as street tires for one of the miatas. I had them on track last year and they still are pretty grippy once they are up to temp.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A79kBTq6hHzn07W2R2AuGgwUYGHHgbtoJZLNtEIwUt7PXR7oZtCl6PMkjL5OeTcM