1 2
stroker
stroker UberDork
3/25/22 10:11 a.m.

There's a pic on page 4418 of the Hotlink thread of one of the classic belly tank Salt Flat speedsters.  It popped an idea into my head that we should, at some point, have a top speed contest of some kind with serious engine capacity limitations.  Call it Challenge Rules for Top Speed using Harbor Freight horizontal shaft engines or something comparable...  

Yeah, I know.  

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
3/25/22 11:13 a.m.

Top speed Miata competition?

With challenge rules, I would still expect some people to break 200mph, no problem.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/25/22 11:18 a.m.

I've been seriously wanting to get into small displacement bike LSR for a couple years now. I figure if I'm chasing highway speeds it's not too dangerous... at least that's what I tell the mrs. I mean, I'm only a few hours from Bonneville, and a small bike is easy to transport. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/25/22 11:23 a.m.

Cars made from scrap washing machines and going 200mph? Sure, that'll end well.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/25/22 11:27 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

I've been seriously wanting to get into small displacement bike LSR for a couple years now. I figure if I'm chasing highway speeds it's not too dangerous... at least that's what I tell the mrs. I mean, I'm only a few hours from Bonneville, and a small bike is easy to transport. 

The current 50cc land speed record is around 138 Mph & the 125Cc record is around 150 Mph.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/25/22 11:28 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

File cabinets turned on their backs for better speed... smaller frontal area

stroker
stroker UberDork
3/25/22 11:31 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

Better cars than airplanes...

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/25/22 11:37 a.m.

I'll come play. May not be very competitive, but fun to try.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/22 11:43 a.m.

Several years ago, and JG can back me up, we had a seemingly legit suggestion to add a top speed competition to the $2000 Challenge.

The kicker: hold it on I-95.

(As I remember, the LPGA exit would have been either the start or finish line since it has an overpass with a sidewalk.)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/25/22 11:45 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Several years ago, and JG can back me up, we had a seemingly legit suggestion to add a top speed competition to the $2000 Challenge.

(As I remember, the LPGA exit would have been either the start or finish line since it has an overpass with a sidewalk.)

Yes, but in the defense of the suggester, they did recommend we do it "really early in the morning" so it would be totally safe.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/25/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

my 2015-17 challenge car also participated in land speed racing and is safe enough be be confident in doing a top speed run

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yeah but there are different classes even in those displacements. Quite a few classes where records are under 90. That's more my style. And probably more my budget, too. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/25/22 1:31 p.m.

The idea of setting a class record  for $2000 shouldn't be  a priority.  Andrew Nelson has something like 17 records already  and he still owns the car.  
     But it would be fun to see how fast it's possible to go.  Your own class record kinda deal.  I've got most of a Jaguar XKE body molds put a  twin turbo V12 together the record for the class is probably over  300 mph  but  get it up to near 200 should be possible. 
 Bonneville isn't the only place to race for top speed.   However  where ever we race the safety gear has to be exempt. So no corner is cut for budgetary reasons. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

That is very true. If we did it early in the morning, and on a weekend, those top speed runs would have been totally cool. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/25/22 2:14 p.m.

A Naturally aspirated Predator 50cc class would be pretty interesting.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/25/22 2:21 p.m.

Even before reading Frenchie's post I was thinking that Andrew Nelson is going to own this category. And I think that's great. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/25/22 2:33 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Actually how about a Bauer cordless drill class?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-12-in-drilldriver-tool-only-56725.html

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/22 3:42 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
ProDarwin said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-12-in-drilldriver-tool-only-56725.html

Quoted for awesome^2

Combine the two for a hybrid class. 

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/22 4:02 p.m.

But seriously though. Maybe next year I'd be down to participate in a remote competition. Say 79cc harbor freight engines, 4 wheels, video of gps speed... could be a fun thing to tinker at. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/25/22 5:00 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

With challenge rules, I would still expect some people to break 200mph, no problem.

Knowing what it took to make an Alfa Spider clear 200mph, I very much agree.  Assuming we are working Challenge rules, too- where the cage cost doesn't count.  

The big issue is that you are left with a LSR car that isn't good for anything else.

stroker
stroker UberDork
3/25/22 9:56 p.m.
alfadriver said:

The big issue is that you are left with a LSR car that isn't good for anything else.

That's why I'm suggesting we limit it to a commonly available and cheap engine like the HF side shaft...  I'm open to suggestions but the only other thing I could think of would be a 400cc air cooled four stroke two valve twin motorcycle engine (e.g. CB400/XS400/KZ400/GS400)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/25/22 10:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Isn't that just keeping up with traffic?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/25/22 10:07 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
ProDarwin said:

Weren't we trying to find something to do at the challenge? Let's have spec drill. Everyone has to use the same 12v drill. Top speed wins. I still have the surplus Texas state patrol radar gun I bought from.....someone on here (and amuses me every time I remember I have it) and I know I'm not the only one that bought one. 

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/22 10:10 p.m.
Mndsm said:
ProDarwin said:
ProDarwin said:

Weren't we trying to find something to do at the challenge? Let's have spec drill. Everyone has to use the same 12v drill. Top speed wins. I still have the surplus Texas state patrol radar gun I bought from.....someone on here (and amuses me every time I remember I have it) and I know I'm not the only one that bought one. 

Spec drill speed class. I'd show up just for that. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/25/22 11:05 p.m.
alfadriver said:
infinitenexus said:

Knowing what it took to make an Alfa Spider clear 200mph, I very much agree.  Assuming we are working Challenge rules, too- where the cage cost doesn't count.  

Uh, isn't that true of pretty much any Challenge car?  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WuKagRl5RMY6xjG1UUBs1aknsjo2RMfbNHDCurzDWOlxbPJoIGOGgGu5qJooZL0H