2 3 4 5 6
jde
jde Reader
3/20/12 12:17 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Group C and GTP cannot be mentioned without the 962!

I didn't want to be too gluttonous with my post. Too many sharp GTP/Group C cars!

Maroon92 wrote: Corvette GTP has too many C4 influences to be classically beautiful.

La-la-la-I can't hear you. Besides, it looked better than it's sibling, the original Electromotive Nissan GTP.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 12:17 p.m.

Willys Gasser 55 Chevy gasser Corvette Grand Sport

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/20/12 1:46 p.m.
jde wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: Group C and GTP cannot be mentioned without the 962!
I didn't want to be too gluttonous with my post. Too many sharp GTP/Group C cars!
Maroon92 wrote: Corvette GTP has too many C4 influences to be classically beautiful.
La-la-la-I can't hear you. Besides, it looked better than it's sibling, the original Electromotive Nissan GTP.

I still think the Nissan R90 is the best looking GTP car they made

EDIT:

While I'm at it, I'll add this:

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 2:23 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Shelby GT-350R

Those aren't R-models.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 2:25 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

The top one is a look alike, but the bottom one is the real thing. But just in case that doesn't satisfy you, here's another genuine R:

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 2:29 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

That's better, but the #37 car still isn't an R-model.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 2:32 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

What makes you think so?

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 2:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Quarter vents vs. riveted piece of metal.

EDIT*...not saying it's not a real Shelby...just not an R-model.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 2:53 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

Fair enough. In my defense, that pic was on a website devoted to the mark and was represented as a real R (and while it's unlikely, we really don't know that it isn't a real R. Not all of them were built the same way.). I didn't look close enough to notice that. There are a ton of converted GT-350's out there, and most of them look enough like a GT-350R to suffice for this purpose.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 3:11 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JFX001: Fair enough. In my defense, that pic was on a website devoted to the mark and was represented as a real R (and while it's unlikely, we really don't know that it isn't a real R. Not all of them were built the same way.). I didn't look close enough to notice that. There are a ton of converted GT-350's out there, and most of them look enough like a GT-350R to suffice for this purpose.

What's with the ninja edits? It's not a real R model. The R models had the vents removed, rear wheel wells modded etc. If you were going to pay the premium over and above a regular '65 GT 350 for an R model...you will not want people to mistake it.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 3:21 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

You're getting hung up on something that really makes no difference for this thread. I said I overlooked the vents when I saw the pic on a site representing for real R's, so what's your problem? Jav didn't rule out copies of racecars in the first post. Hell, the Cobra and Daytona coupe on page one aren't real either, but I didn't see you giving them a hard time. Whatever.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/20/12 3:26 p.m.

The newest issue of Hemming's Muscle Machines has a lot of Shelby content, including a great piece on the R-Models.

Honestly, the R and the "regular" GT-350's would be the same entry on this list anyways, so bravenrace is right, it really doesn't matter here.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 3:44 p.m.

No, they wouldn't. The '65 GT 350 is not a race car. The '65 GT 350 R model is one. This is a Most Beautiful Race Car thread...is it not?

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 3:45 p.m.
PHeller wrote:

TVR Speed 12

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 3:45 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: No, they wouldn't. The '65 GT 350 is not a race car. The '65 GT 350 R model is one. This is a Most Beautiful Race Car thread...is it not?

Plenty of non-R model Gt-350's were raced.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/20/12 3:47 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: No, they wouldn't. The '65 GT 350 is not a race car. The '65 GT 350 R model is one. This is a Most Beautiful Race Car thread...is it not?

Were not GT-350's raced in SCCA B-Production? A-Sedan? Trans Am? Club Racing? Is not that a picture of a GT-350 on a race track, with other cars, and numbers on the door? If it raced, it's a race car.

Hell, I'm trying to figure out how to get concept race cars in (hello new #1, Mazda Furai and new #2, Porsche 918 RSR...). The other list had exclusions, this one we're letting it all fly!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 3:49 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Plenty of non-R model Gt-350's were raced.

But...they were not built as race cars. The R models were, again...this is a thread for race cars.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/20/12 3:59 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

It's javelin's thread. Are you saying he's wrong? Look at many other cars in this thread. By your measure, many of them wouldn't qualify. Like Jav said, if it was raced its a race car. Nobody said they had to be purpose built race cars.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 4:04 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JFX001: It's javelin's thread. Are you saying he's wrong? Look at many other cars in this thread. By your measure, many of them wouldn't qualify. Like Jav said, if it was raced its a race car. Nobody said they had to be purpose built race cars.

Read Rule * 4.

I'm saying your both wrong.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/20/12 4:07 p.m.

Too many posts without links to beautiful race cars:

Pantera

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/20/12 4:09 p.m.

My thread, my rules, my interpretation (btw, read rule #6).

I'm ruling that the standard GT350 is easily called a homoligation special, and is accepted.

And again, none of it matters because the GT350R and the regular one are so visually identical that they would only share the same entry anyway.

/gavelslam

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/20/12 4:09 p.m.

Here's a doozy (deusy) - 1927

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/20/12 4:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: My thread, my rules, my interpretation (btw, read rule #6). I'm ruling that the standard GT350 is *easily* called a homoligation special, and is accepted. And again, none of it matters because the GT350R and the regular one are so visually identical that they would only share the same entry anyway. /gavelslam

Fine, you can rule it as a homolgation entry. Your thread...your rules. And both the "original" street version and the original "R" model are significantly different...if you were to look at period pics..and not a recent pic of a regular GT350 with an R model front valance and Torq-Thrusts....

Oh, and I'm being nice.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/20/12 4:29 p.m.

I am familiar with the differences. Radiused rear wheel wells, removed bumpers, the front valance, and quarter window blanks are not what I would call a significant difference in look, for this purpose. Earlier in the thread I called the GT-40 Mark I and Mark II too visually similar to be separate entries, and they have basically entirely different rear thirds of the car.

Karacticus
Karacticus New Reader
3/20/12 4:32 p.m.

'nother picture of the E86 Z4 Coupe...

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hRV7gpoyCGI6twTtEH0Rrpk0PgOtkkceJhAYP0OqdmYh7Cvdoh9UN6GnE1EqrMwj