1 2
old_
old_ Reader
10/9/13 12:07 p.m.
docwyte wrote: So wait. You have a 12 year old car with close to 140k miles on it and you're upset that stuff has worn out and needs to be replaced? Oh the horror! The car is old. It has a bunch of miles on it. Stuff breaks. Sorry, it's just amusing to me that everyone expects their cars to run 100's of thousands of miles on just gas, oil and pixie dust. Not that long ago your car would've been considered a paragon of reliability for remaining in running condition without massive rust holes in it after 4 years and 50k miles.

My 89 crx has 390k mi. Here is the list of things I've replaced: Oil, Coolant, Pads/shoes/rotors, 1 clutch, Tires, Belts, Radiator, Plugs, Distributer, Filters

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/9/13 1:01 p.m.

You wouldn't need heads, the na heads will give you a little bump in compression and make a little more power than swapping heads. Most of the guys who swap don't change the heads.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/9/13 2:46 p.m.
old_ wrote:
docwyte wrote: So wait. You have a 12 year old car with close to 140k miles on it and you're upset that stuff has worn out and needs to be replaced? Oh the horror! The car is old. It has a bunch of miles on it. Stuff breaks. Sorry, it's just amusing to me that everyone expects their cars to run 100's of thousands of miles on just gas, oil and pixie dust. Not that long ago your car would've been considered a paragon of reliability for remaining in running condition without massive rust holes in it after 4 years and 50k miles.
My 89 crx has 390k mi. Here is the list of things I've replaced: Oil, Coolant, Pads/shoes/rotors, 1 clutch, Tires, Belts, Radiator, Plugs, Distributer, Filters

Yeah, the list on my 345k DD Honda is pretty similar to that. It is actually slightly shorter but possibly only because i dont have a distributor to break.

mfennell
mfennell New Reader
10/9/13 2:59 p.m.

Original shocks/struts/hoses/bushings/ignition wires? The full original exhaust is still in place? If so, that's ... awesome.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/9/13 3:02 p.m.

Welcome to older GM car ownership, I've owned two GM cars and after that I'm pretty sure the only vehicles built by GM I'll ever consider buying again are pre 1975, trucks and maybe corvette.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/9/13 3:47 p.m.
mfennell wrote: Original shocks/struts/hoses/bushings/ignition wires? The full original exhaust is still in place? If so, that's ... awesome.

Original shocks and struts, still in great shape. Original hoses, all great (no weeps or bulges), original bushings (all good), and full original exhaust (perfect). I replaced the original plug wires with Magnecors when we bought it just because, the OE's were fine (IIRC, I gave them to a fellow GP club member).

The only things we've had to do in 7 years/75K up until this latest round: oil & filter, fuel filter, plugs, rear toe links (only one was bad, likely from a pothole), tires, steering rack (did PS pump at same time just to be good to go), battery (Delco), steering wheel buttons (SWMBO broke them with her nails, not the car's fault), trans fluid & filter, light bulbs, and brake pads.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f3Fut1nOliY4K15SkzMRUV7fM9UXvonArkv5CskAMG9Ogo4e9GmLXYbr6stfBq3w