Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/5/08 6:56 a.m.

Good news is I found an inexpensive set of pony wheels for my soon-to-be-16 daughters 93 Mustang (4cyl-auto-dogslow) convertible. Bad news is I have to buy tires now. They currently have two different sizes of worn out ones on them. It appears they came with 225/55R16's originally but I'm looking at 205/60R16's cause they're quite a bit cheaper. Anyone know the width for these rims? (I haven't removed the old tires yet to be able to measure.) The 205's say they're good for widths 5.5 -7.5". Will the slightly more narrow 205's look stupid on these wheels? Thanks,

Oh and I'm thinking of removing the LX and Ford badges off the rear deck lid. Anyone know if these have guide pins in addition to the sticky tape holding them on? Don't want to remove them if there will be holes to fill in the deck lid and you can't see the back side of their mounting position on the deck lid from inside. Thanks again,

P71
P71 Reader
8/5/08 8:18 a.m.

IIRC the Pony wheels are identical to the Thunderbird Turbo "Snowflake" wheel in dimensions, which is 16x7. I do know that both came with the 225/60/16 stock (which is quite a bit cheaper then the 225/55's and happens to be the same size used on P71's).

As for your decklid emblems, again it's been awhile, but I think the Ford oval has two pins, and the "LX" is just a stick-on.

HTH

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/5/08 8:18 a.m.

Off the top of my head, I want to say 6.5" wide.

Don't quote me on that, though, I only owned a Mustang for 3 months or so.

Whoops. Got my wheels confused and some numbers wrong. 94+ 16" Mustang wheels are 7.5" wide.

Carry on.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/5/08 8:22 a.m.

They're definitely 7 inches wide. 16" x 7".

dyintorace
dyintorace Reader
8/5/08 8:22 a.m.

Before buying new tires, surf craigslist for awhile. Mustang rims with tires are available all the time, and many times you can pick up rims with tires (with good life left) for less than new tires.

Brian
Brian Dork
8/5/08 8:55 a.m.

My old '92 LX 5.0 (bought new) came with 16x7 Pony wheels and 225 55 ZR 16 tires. It definitely won't look as good with the skinny tires, but it will still look better than it did before! I'm assuming your car came with 10 hole "phone dial" 15" alloys in '93.

You can verify tire info here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang&autoYear=1992&autoModClar=LX+5.0

I'm pretty sure the LX is just taped on. I'm not sure about the Ford oval.

-Brian

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/5/08 12:00 p.m.

dyintorace, I already have the wheels and they did come from Craigslist with tires but not tires I'd let my daughter drive on. She can be a pain in the ass but I'd never want to lose her.

Brian, Not ten-holers, the 14" turbine looking ones with not-so-good center caps. I'm hoping to recoup some cash though since they have nearly new tires on them. You think the 20mm difference will really be very obvious in looks?

At least I know they 205's will fit on the rims, thanks for the answers everyone.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
8/5/08 2:56 p.m.

The "LX" emblem is taped on but the blue oval has guide pins which is why my '91 still advertises it's creator.

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/6/08 6:44 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: The "LX" emblem is taped on but the blue oval has guide pins which is why my '91 still advertises it's creator.

Then the LX is coming off. If I can find a running pony emblem the right size that will cover the holes, maybe the blue oval will be coming off too. I'll be doing something of that nature for the oval in the grill. Don't know why manufacturers can't find more tasteful ways to incorporate their logos on their cars.

dj06482
dj06482 New Reader
8/6/08 1:26 p.m.

Just an FYI, with a younger driver, I'd defintely step up to new (or at least newer) tires. These cars can become very tail-happy with little or no provocation. I almost lost my '92 GT in the rain due to some old rock-hard Gatorbacks. I ordered new tires the next day and things became much better.

DJ

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/7/08 6:38 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: Just an FYI, with a younger driver, I'd defintely step up to new (or at least newer) tires. These cars can become very tail-happy with little or no provocation. I almost lost my '92 GT in the rain due to some old rock-hard Gatorbacks. I ordered new tires the next day and things became much better. DJ

Kind of the whole purpose of my post... I'm trying to determine what tire sizes to buy for the new-to-us rims.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/7/08 8:03 a.m.

Off topic, but am I the only one who actually likes the 10-hole wheels? (with tires sized right)

It reminds me of the police cars, for some reason...

Oh yeah...and those 14" ones on your car...are they the ones with the rubberized material all over them? That always seemed strange to me.

Clem

dj06482
dj06482 New Reader
8/7/08 10:53 a.m.
Jax2A wrote:

Kind of the whole purpose of my post... I'm trying to determine what tire sizes to buy for the new-to-us rims.

I'd go with the factory 225/55/16s, that way if you ever want to sell them it'll be easier to find a buyer. I think the 205s would be pretty narrow on a 7" rim. Tirerack has several good options for less than $100 a tire.

DJ

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/08 11:03 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Off topic, but am I the only one who actually likes the 10-hole wheels? (with tires sized right) It reminds me of the police cars, for some reason... Oh yeah...and those 14" ones on your car...are they the ones with the rubberized material all over them? That always seemed strange to me. Clem

Nope, you're not the only one. Ten-hole wheels are cool for the exact reason you gave.

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/7/08 7:40 p.m.

ClemSparks wrote:

Off topic, but am I the only one who actually likes the 10-hole wheels? (with tires sized right)

It reminds me of the police cars, for some reason...

Oh yeah...and those 14" ones on your car...are they the ones with the rubberized material all over them? That always seemed strange to me.

Clem

Clem, If there was rubberized stuff on them, it's worn off. They look like these on ebay except ours are in much worse condition; same wheels on ebay

As far as the 10 holers... my daughter didn't like them.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
8/7/08 10:36 p.m.

Yeah. those wheels on ebay are steel with a silver painted rubber mold glued to them. They weigh a ton.

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/8/08 6:37 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Yeah. those wheels on ebay are steel with a silver painted rubber mold glued to them. They weigh a ton.

Steel? Really, they don't look like it. Will have to throw a magnet on them tonight.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/8/08 8:48 a.m.

And bend on the little fins a bit (push your fingernail into them) and surprise yourself as well!

Clem

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/9/08 6:29 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: And bend on the little fins a bit (push your fingernail into them) and surprise yourself as well! Clem

Son of gun, I'd never known it without actually pushing on them (or you telling me). I just thought they were some crappy looking alloy. Guess I would have figured it out when I went to clean them though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/9/08 7:03 p.m.

Those 'rubber' wheels were called Polycasts.

We used the alloy 15x7 Mustang '10 holers' on the LeMons car because they are cheap and tough as nails.

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/11/08 6:55 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Those 'rubber' wheels were called Polycasts. We used the alloy 15x7 Mustang '10 holers' on the LeMons car because they are cheap and tough as nails.

So... are the "polycasts" semi-rare or anything? Are Mustang guys looking for them? Personally, I don't think they look that great, but maybe some restoration minded individual would want them and I could get some cash out of them. (Yea, I know I'm probably dreaming.)

Nevermind, I just answered my own question by going back and looking at the same ebay wheels. One $25.00 dollar bid for 4 wheels in good shape with good tires.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/11/08 10:07 a.m.

Oh yeah...they're good for scrap value...or help a teenager out by giving them to him/her. (talking about the 14" 'polycasts')

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VBeMEP7lzkKijkn6gCHtKYXlGtRHo7Qlv48fzOVobQ35JAUSh2SyGrlesowdQfIP