1 2
MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
7/25/13 10:09 p.m.

I still have the V8 itch and am considering an American V8, coming from a German V8.

How good is the GTO for autocross? I'm guessing it is an F stock car, just like them 'Stang 5.0's.

Is there a quick steering rack? Can I get a good amount of camber stock? Can I fit some big tires underneath it?

I'm coming from a 4k lb BMW E39 M5. It is big and fat but manages its weight extremely well. I'm just sick of the maintenance.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/25/13 10:18 p.m.

The GTO is an A-body, lots of room for tires and plenty of aftermarket suspension goodies.

A rack and pinion swap might be a pain but a quick ratio steering box from a second-gen WS6 F-body should be a bolt-in. In 1981 the fittings on the boxes changed to o-ringed fittings so you will need an adapter to make it work with the original lines.

A 389 or 400 with a 4-speed will probably make you happier at an autocross than a 421 or 455.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
7/25/13 10:21 p.m.

I could be mistaken but i think he means the newer gto

nocones
nocones Dork
7/25/13 10:27 p.m.

Though to be fair I like transmaro's idea better.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
7/25/13 10:44 p.m.

Yea, the newer GTO. Based on the Holdens.

I'm way to young to even know what a 4-speed is.

Also considering Z06's in the same price range (but the cost of tires! )

Can I get a competitive F-stock Mustang for $20k too?

Otherwise I'd look at Miata's, BRZ/FRS and S2000's. I work at a Mazda dealer so I could get a new Miata Club for $26k + taxes. It would be nice to have a car with a warranty finally but it is expensive.

My mind is in a million places right now. Stupid car ADHD...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/25/13 10:46 p.m.
MINIzguy wrote: Yea, the newer GTO. Based on the Holdens. I'm way to young to even know what a 4-speed is. Also considering Z06's in the same price range (but the cost of tires! ) Can I get a competitive F-stock Mustang for $20k too? Otherwise I'd look at Miata's, BRZ/FRS and S2000's. I work at a Mazda dealer so I could get a new Miata Club for $26k + taxes. It would be nice to have a car with a warranty finally but it is expensive. My mind is in a million places right now. Stupid car ADHD...

Well, of all the cars you just mentioned, the GTO is the worst from an autocross standpoint...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/25/13 11:06 p.m.

Sorry, when someone says GTO I assume they're talking Pontiac not Holden.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/25/13 11:31 p.m.

I believe there was a recent discussion on Z06 tire prices, if you change to 18 inch front wheels and dont mind not having matching axles, its not bad at all.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/26/13 4:56 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Sorry, when someone says GTO I assume they're talking Pontiac not Holden.

Not on this forum!

Imho, if you want a V8 for autox, either new Mustang or Vette, but either will be interesting if/when the new Street rules go into effect.

The Holden GTO is a nice car, though.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/26/13 7:47 a.m.

I vote Pontiac.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/26/13 8:05 a.m.

I'll have the '64 Gray Ghost Tempest

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/26/13 8:09 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Well, of all the cars you just mentioned, the GTO is the worst from an autocross standpoint...

+1, either get a C5 (because you're going to slap big tires on a GTO and end up paying the same anyways, after you've thrown a ton of mods at it to get handling that still isn't as good as a C5's) or look at one of the light Japanese cars you were talking about.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
7/26/13 8:27 a.m.

Great car but limited as autocross. By the time you make the needed suspension(ie caster kit and bushing replacements) and brake changes, you will be competing against much more serious metal. I have autocrossed mine on a few occasions and even with near R quality tires, there was just too much power for the chassis and brakes.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/26/13 8:33 a.m.
whenry wrote: Great car but limited as autocross. By the time you make the needed suspension(ie caster kit and bushing replacements) and brake changes, you will be competing against much more serious metal. I have autocrossed mine on a few occasions and even with near R quality tires, there was just too much power for the chassis and brakes.

This is the real issue, autocross courses tend to be tight and narrow. The GTO is not about finesse. However, if you don;t care about times and your local club is kinda lax about the rules, it could be a ALOT of fun to powerslide that sucker everywhere!

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/26/13 8:50 a.m.

After driving one, I'd say just hold out for the Z06. It will not dissapoint. There's plenty of clean, "old man-owned", examples that only got driven to church on Sunday for low 20s. You can't ask for much more than that.

Unfortunately, every GTO I found has the eveloving E36 M3 ran out of it, or was about Z06 price. Not to mention, Z06 insurance was a lot cheaper. Hell, it is cheaper than what I pay on my 98 Neon ACR.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/26/13 9:31 a.m.
Ian F wrote: The Holden GTO is a nice car, though.

Compared to what exactly?

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
7/26/13 9:44 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Ian F wrote: The Holden GTO is a nice car, though.

Compared to what exactly?

I believe he's saying that it's a nice car in general, decent build quality, does what it's supposed to do fairly well. If he were comparing it to something he would've said nicer.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
7/26/13 9:53 a.m.
Mazda787b wrote: Unfortunately, every GTO I found has the eveloving E36 M3 ran out of it, or was about Z06 price. Not to mention, Z06 insurance was a lot cheaper. Hell, it is cheaper than what I pay on my 98 Neon ACR.

Wait, am I reading that right? It's cheaper to insure a Corvette than a GTO?

I'm an admitted fan of the Holden GTO. Big power, decent chassis, really nice interior, pretty comfy. It's no autocrosser, but it's a pretty nice cruiser.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/26/13 10:06 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Mazda787b wrote: Unfortunately, every GTO I found has the eveloving E36 M3 ran out of it, or was about Z06 price. Not to mention, Z06 insurance was a lot cheaper. Hell, it is cheaper than what I pay on my 98 Neon ACR.

Wait, am I reading that right? It's cheaper to insure a Corvette than a GTO?

I'm an admitted fan of the Holden GTO. Big power, decent chassis, really nice interior, pretty comfy. It's no autocrosser, but it's a pretty nice cruiser.

Probably because the Holdens are more likely to be driven in a hoontastic manner while most Corvettes are weekend cruisers for the 50+ crowd creating an unusual disparity in the crash stats for the two.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/26/13 10:15 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

It's near impossible to get crash parts for them, and when you do they are expensive. I think that has something to do with high insurance premiums.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/26/13 10:23 a.m.
The_Jed wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote:
Ian F wrote: The Holden GTO is a nice car, though.

Compared to what exactly?

I believe he's saying that it's a nice car in general, decent build quality, does what it's supposed to do fairly well. If he were comparing it to something he would've said nicer.

Yup.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/26/13 10:31 a.m.

Not an Auto-Xer here but the GTO was on my DD search list, had I found the right car w/ the right miles for the right money hell yea I'd be driving it now... few and far between tho for what I was lookin' for. Still wanna own one tho. If I drive the Mustang GT for a year and find the right GTO hell yea I'd be tempted to go for it.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/26/13 10:34 a.m.

Direct quote from my insurance company:

  • 2001-2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - $773
  • 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO - $930
  • 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V - $953
  • 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe - $996
  • 2003-2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 - $837

Prices were for Metro Detroit (one of highest in nation) for 6 months with $500 deductable. I forget the other limits, but they are fairly middle of the road. For the record, I am 23, technically live at home, clean record, one claim (accident, totaled Grand Marquis) 5 years ago. Insured as an extra vehicle with no mileage or travel limits.

When I almost pulled the trigger on the 02 Z06 a few weeks back, it was actually $680/6 mos. Not much more than the Rubicons and Super Duty pickups I looked at. FWIW, the ACR runs me about $720/6 mos. for the same type of coverage. Smaller car = more likely for personal injury. The age of Corvette owners and lack of claims I'm sure plays a big part in it too.

EDIT- what is the HTML tag on this board for line breaks?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/26/13 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Mazda787b:

You can do a "bullit list" by typing a '-' followed by a single space.

Without the bullits, add two spaces before hitting return.
Like this.
and this.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
7/26/13 10:44 a.m.

GTO's tend to be either garage queens or driven hard and hung up wet. Mine is daily driven with only cold air intake as mod. I was going to do more but realized "why". It has been very reliable and comfortable. I just wouldnt buy it as an autocross toy.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
EA6FxQucD9rnRsjfqZ3U01SJN1JFdFVVIfWCw6DzWV0CJ4MyItYyAr5x4mNnfvEx