1 2
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
1/9/20 8:32 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

But there are two versions of the Hybrid S I think.  One that only works with 3 points and one that works with both.  I know I played with both of them this spring at my local Wine Country Motorsports store.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/9/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

there are multiple version under the Hybrid name, but there is only 1 Hybrid S and it works with both 3 point and 4/5/6 point belts. 

Hybrid Pro and Hybrid Sport are not rated for anything but a harness. 

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/9/20 11:14 a.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to docwyte :

there are multiple version under the Hybrid name, but there is only 1 Hybrid S and it works with both 3 point and 4/5/6 point belts. 

Hybrid Pro and Hybrid Sport are not rated for anything but a harness. 

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid

It's true. the Hybrid S is based off of the old Hutchens Hybird device for motorcyles, which has a spine that goes all the way down your upper back. It provides enough of a structure to keep your head attached to your shoulders without any additional restraint (technically you could be totally flung from your car and it would still work). The rest of the Hybrid devices need some sort of structure to help support it, whether it be a racing seat that holds you upright, or the metal anchors that attach to the lap belt on some of the models.

That said, I love the comfort and ease of use of my Hybrid Sport, and wouldn't trade it for anything but the more expensive carbon fiber Hybrid. My second choice would be a Necksgen Rev. The Rev and Rev2 are so small and light that you forget that they exist when you're belted to the car. Plus they were amongst the first to show the world that SFI-certified head and heck restraints don't have to cost $700. Gotta give them some credit for that.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/9/20 12:03 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
chrispy said:

This seems like an Awesome deal and I'll likely kick myself for not jumping on it right now (need tax refund first). 

Lack of SNELL kills this for HPDE.. .

The helmet is SA2015 and the HNR is SFI rated.  Also not every HPDE host requires SA, some allow M or even DOT.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
2/16/22 5:41 p.m.

Looking for reviews and suggestions on FHR devices for 2022. Application is champcar and some hpde, with fia seats/harness/rollbar. 

Budget end preferred, it looks like most of the expensive ones are just slightly lighter and made from carbon fiber.  I'm average size 5'10 170, and we'll use conventional 20° seats. 

Hans and stand21 look similar with the longer chest extension. Zamp 6a claims more freedom of motion. Haven't seen necksgen in person yet. 

No immediate need to share it (size adjustable) but that could arise.   They all meet SFI spec so I gather it comes down to shoulder comfort, ease of egress, and range of motion?

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
2/16/22 6:27 p.m.

I borrowed a Simpson Hybrid S once to try and I really liked it in cars without full harnesses, found it OK in my Miata with a full harness and race seat and hated it in my Formula Ford.  Basically the better the seat fit me the more the back and extra straps bothered me.  It's possible that if the seats had been setup with the Simpson in mind that would be less of a problem. I also didn't like the extra effort it takes to get into the thing and to route the cool shirt  hoses, arm restraints and radio harness around it.

I use an older NecksGen that I just got re-certified and It's comfortable in every race car I've driven and, of course useless without a full harness.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
2/16/22 9:00 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

When Simpson bought safety solutions, they continued the R3 device for a while. It's not rated for 3 point belts the way the Hybrid S is, but they have the same spine that goes down your back (which is what makes the Hybrid S useful with 3 points), and they can be found used for a lot less money. Since it's a discontinued product and they still have the patent, there's no reason for them to rate the old R3 for 3 point belts. I won't promise it'll be as good as the newer design, but I'd much rather crash with one of those than nothing. I had one for a while, bought used and recertified for cheap.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/17/22 6:53 a.m.

I have a genuine HANS, been re-certified once, I'd be willing to sell. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
2/17/22 8:21 a.m.

NecksGen Rev here also. Fits like a glove with my 17.5" neck and they include a tether swap out if the original one that comes doesnt fit correctly. Overall a great company with a superb product.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RF62CKLjPPmfkVW5fj6j1DrirCdo8kRaZQd6ppnTRFysOPjQQeDv0C8LXz5aHPbM