Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/22/20 9:53 a.m.

Ive had nicked lines last forever. 

Ive also had them fail and lose all brakes.

Replace it.

As my dad once said: not running is an inconvenience. Not stopping will KILL you. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/22/20 10:04 a.m.

If it's ONLY the coating you can probably paint over it and be fine. If you actually gouged the metal I'd replace that section. There is not a lot of wall thickness to begin with. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/22/20 11:04 a.m.

duster gets a +1

Vigo gets a +1

Everybody gets a +1

McDesign
McDesign New Reader
1/22/20 11:07 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

duster gets a +1

Vigo gets a +1

Everybody gets a +1

Well, it wasn't a hard question.  I mean, it actually was, but

Forrest

dherr
dherr HalfDork
1/22/20 11:10 a.m.

Having lost my brakes on my first car (1967 MGB) and living through it (only a few trees were killed in the process), I always don't skimp on brakes, I would replace it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/22/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to dherr :

Remindsme, I need to find out why the brakes disapeared on my 67 MGB GT!

dherr
dherr HalfDork
1/22/20 11:56 a.m.

Single line master cylinder on the 1967 and earlier cars, so any leak is fatal......

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
1/23/20 8:52 a.m.

Related question for the group here... I had something like this happen to me on my track car due to an off.  I replaced it with a Dorman union that's good for 3000 PSI.  However, apparently it's illegal for them to advertise the product as a solution to joining hard brake lines, so the engineer I spoke with said that he cannot tell me to use it on a car.  

My question to the group is: is a union really dangerous?  I'm only hesitating about replacing it because for my car the hard line is pretty long and it's a PITA to replace the entire thing... 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/23/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

The only legal method of connecting two brake lines is with double flares.  A ferrule type couple will likely work, but if it fails, it fails completely and instantly.  A double flare may leak if done poorly, but it will be a slow leak that  may eventually lead to a low pedal.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/23/20 9:08 a.m.

I am sure it will hold...but honestly, once you buy a flaring tool, a tubing cutter, a bender for some professional looking bends, some tubing and tube nuts there is literally no reason not to make a new line....it only takes about an hour per line.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/23/20 10:11 a.m.

is a union really dangerous?

A double flare union isn't dangerous, it just kind sucks to add multiple failure points in the space of 1" of line. Having said that I just did one recently and if done correctly it SHOULD be no less reliable than any other brake line connection. 

As far as compression fittings, i wouldn't do it on a brake line. Depending on your leg you could do 1500+ psi in a brake line.  

devina
devina Reader
1/23/20 5:41 p.m.

I would replace the line or section of line.  Splicing another section using a proper flare fitting and a flare union would be fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mhpvCeMbDDnly3PAYkOaNJVaOVxdkzRw6E3zmMOvSl8iNPXtIyvV4AyWJmesYsSv