pres589
pres589 HalfDork
7/20/10 10:37 p.m.

The oil control ring is indeed the bottom ring (it's really a stack of hardware and not a single ring like the compression rings) on pretty much any piston, this one included.

What's the method of planned application, how are you going to get the Seafoam to the right place? I would think pouring some down each spark plug hole and bumping the crankshaft back and forth a bit would probably work some into the oil control ring stack, is there another method described on miata.net?

I say it's worth a shot since a can of the stuff is a lot cheaper than a rebuild, but I don't know if I would expect miracles.

bluesideup
bluesideup New Reader
7/20/10 11:10 p.m.

I've done something similar on a Saturn with success. It was burning oil at 1qt/1000 miles and went down to 1qt/4000 miles after the treatment. It's a common issue with Saturns.

I used Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner and put Mobil1 synthetic down the spark plug holes. This is the GM TSB procedure except with their own Combustion Chamber Cleaner.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/21/10 7:24 a.m.

I've heard of it working. If the rings are stuck due to carbon, you might be successfull. If they are broken, nothing will be improved.

$10 and no harm done if it doesn't work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xZYgG7UTzZ8LiJ4lkBtNDZwVyy04AYiyAG3gARd1odQAoch4RsFGI26kf7oVuNEo