1 2
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
12/16/11 2:30 p.m.

I heard they were replacing the 3-series with the 3 and 4 series. Basically all BMW's will follow an odd=4-doors / even=2-doors scheme for the cars. So the M3 would be a sedan only and the M4 would be the coupe. Odd, but okay, i can understand the need/desire for that it it's fairly logical.

Then they introduced the 6-Series Gran Coupe, which is (wait for it...)

A 4-door!

WTF??!?

I'm lost now.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
12/16/11 2:38 p.m.

Car
-Niche
- Sub Niche
- Sub Sub Niche
- Sub Sub Sub Niche
-Sub Sub Sub Sub Niche
-BMW Z3 Roadster Fastback Sedan Crossover Hybrid

oldtin
oldtin Dork
12/16/11 2:55 p.m.

I'm obviously not their target audience. Went to pick up parts for my ratty e36 the other day - in the showroom they have a non-M, 3 series convertible that stickers over $70,000. I can always hope for catastrophic depreciation...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/16/11 2:59 p.m.

Doesn't bother me. The enormous and heavy personal luxury coupe market mostly died out sometime around the same time as The Rockford Files.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
12/16/11 3:00 p.m.

I think the larger concern is the completely hideous nature of that car.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/16/11 3:00 p.m.

Yes, BMW lost their mind. Selling new cars in brown with giant dents in the size can be considered Exhibit A.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/16/11 3:13 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: -BMW Z3 Roadster Fastback Sedan Crossover Hybrid X335iT LM Mille Miglia

FTFY

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/16/11 3:13 p.m.

Acura just announced they are going to introduce an "entry level" model to be called the ILR (WTF does that bunch of letters mean?) I start with this because I'm not sure if the point of this thread is that BMW contradicted their criteria for model names...or is about to introduce yet another model that no one is asking for.

When BMW introduced the " 1 " series, it arrived as a 3 or 5 door HATCHBACK in other markets. The new model " 1" is a 5 door hatchback in other markets, tho it isn't called a 2 when it's a notchback coupe. I'm also curious about the X6. That has (technically) the same door count as an X3 or X5...doesn't it?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/16/11 3:16 p.m.

Since Im not a pretentious assbag, with all the courtesy and social warmth of a seasick crocodile, its unlikely that youll see me in a brandy new beemer any time soon. The looks of that monstrosity are the nail in the coffin.

gimme 80s Bavarian steel any day
kthxbai

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
12/16/11 3:22 p.m.

The rumor of a 4 series has been around a while, but I've never seen any confirmation.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/16/11 3:27 p.m.

I wonder if it will have red LED dashboard displays that look like they are from a late '70s alarm clock like the current 6-series.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/16/11 3:32 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Has BMW lost their minds??!?

Yes. In 2004. Where have you been.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/16/11 3:57 p.m.

I'm with GPS. None of their current models (except some of the 1 series) interest me at all.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/16/11 4:27 p.m.

For GRM-types, BMW jumped the shark some time ago...

A 6-series 4-door.... is it a new car or are they just renaming the 5-series GT?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
12/16/11 5:01 p.m.

I like the look...

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
12/16/11 5:03 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Yes, BMW lost their mind. Selling new cars in brown with giant dents in the size can be considered Exhibit A.

Eh? Dents?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/16/11 5:32 p.m.

BMW is selling exactly the cars their customers wish to buy. It has been a very, very long time since they have built a car than a person who has not lost their mind would want.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
12/16/11 5:46 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I'm obviously not their target audience. Went to pick up parts for my ratty e36 the other day - in the showroom they have a non-M, 3 series convertible that stickers over $70,000. I can always hope for catastrophic depreciation...

The Germans are famous for that. In fact it's quite easy to double the base price of a German car by adding options. I looked at a 3 series once that started in the low 30s and after adding options was 58k. You can get a MINI into the 50s by heavily adding options. It's just ridiculous.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/16/11 5:52 p.m.

so me seeing a BMW 2002 or a Datsun 510 is never going to happen.

Why am I still on this earth?

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
12/16/11 5:54 p.m.

On my way to work today I was behind a X6 ///M series. Is there such a thing? Why?

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/16/11 6:28 p.m.
frenchy wrote: On my way to work today I was behind a X6 ///M series. Is there such a thing? Why?

Yes, there is. It's an incredible piece of engineering.

But, it's still a stupid SUV, so I'd never buy it.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
12/16/11 7:19 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I'm obviously not their target audience. Went to pick up parts for my ratty e36 the other day - in the showroom they have a non-M, 3 series convertible that stickers over $70,000. I can always hope for catastrophic depreciation...

Having a BMW mechanic as a good friend makes me not want any bmw newer than an E46

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/16/11 7:24 p.m.
frenchy wrote: On my way to work today I was behind a X6 ///M series. Is there such a thing? Why?

To make the Juke R look like the best idea ever!

nocones
nocones HalfDork
12/16/11 7:48 p.m.

I wish I could travel back in time and hear you people bitch and moan about when BMW released the E30 because of how heavy big and soft it was compared to the 2002. Same thing when the E36 came out. Face it in this country the average new car buyer doesn't like the stuff most of you like. Whenever it was that you all stopped buying new cars you stopped matering. I have spoken with my wallet 2 times this year letting car companies know what I want (a base outback 6-speed with winter package and alloy value group and a double cab TRD off road Tacoma 6-speed manual). Where they more than cars cost 15-20 years ago? Yes but so are used cars. It sucks that new cars aren't cheap. It sucks that they weigh more than they used to however we love 1996 miatas that weigh 2400lbs and have 140 HP but hate the new one that weighs 2500lbs and has 170hp? Everyone says if such and such 2500lb 140hp Rwd car where available I'd buy it but for some reason you don't buy a 22k 3200lb genesis despite the fact that's its safer nicer and more than likely faster than what you pine for.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
12/16/11 8:12 p.m.

I think we bitch because everything is so compromised and regulated anymore. New cars all seem to have abs, traction control, variable cruise control, weigh at least 4000 lbs, and despite the high price tags, feel cheap. Best example: Honda.

As for the Genesis, I would love one but I have decided to never have a car payment again so I will probably never ever have a new car. I'm guessing most other people have things like kids or wives where a Genesis coupe would be impractical or vetoed by the wife. Even if I had the cash I would have a hard time putting it into a new car.

I think a lot of people here are like the guys 20 years ago that didn't like fuel injection and things like that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ixBX19ATB6EqLNEadt3JKXzz3adK1E9tUUdZsGixqNCiJ3hVG9JZmOl6GE30Of18