That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy HalfDork
7/15/10 10:05 a.m.

Couldn't find anything with the search, so I'll start one.

Anyway, I’m just starting the shopping process, but I’m looking for a used MINI Cooper S as my new daily driver. What do I need to know and/or look out for?

It looks like there's a significant price bump for 2006+, is there something that would make me want to avoid anything earlier?

I've poked around a little on northamericanmotoring.com, but it seems mostly tailored to the wash-and-wax crowd.

thanks, Jim

Shaun
Shaun Reader
7/15/10 11:02 a.m.

In reply to That_Renault_Guy:

The hood scoop is fake on the 2007+ MINI S, which, for me, is a deal breaker.

There is some good stuff in here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/buying-a-mini-/23930/page1/

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/15/10 12:23 p.m.

I don't know the year, but there was a change from supercharging to turbocharging.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/15/10 12:35 p.m.

2007 they went from super to turbo, along with a new 'luminum block that was reportedly sourced from Peugot. 2005-6 are the best years.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
7/15/10 12:38 p.m.

In reply to triumph5:

2007 marked the first year for the turbo models. They also redesigned the interior that year forward. With the radio and AC controls going from DIN sized slip in units to a sculpted one piece built in affair. They also added some funky little selectable color led cabin lights for illumination at night.

We just picked up an '07 Turbo for my wife with 34k miles on the clock. She had to have the automatic (which I have to confess is a very nice 6 speed affair) leather heated seats, sunroof and all the niceties for around 16.5K, which i thought wasn't completely overpriced. i found some cheaper manual shift cars but unfortunately I couldn't get her to budge and go with one of them.

So far I haven't done anything but an oil change in the 4k we have owned it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
7/15/10 12:54 p.m.

Jim, Watch www.michiganmini.org too. Local to the greater Detroit area, not as much info as the NAM site.

heyduard
heyduard New Reader
7/16/10 12:30 a.m.

There is this GRM thread. edited: whoops! Beaten to the punch by a long shot. If I could only read. LOL

My daily driver is an 05 S. With 90k on the clock, I know I will need to budget for a rebuilt supercharger, water pump, new belt tensioner, and stage 1 clutch. Luck favors the prepared.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wBtVmEvRJoJ3QqulrO4k5nm2teQWTlKeg8iNaQejRoylXcJv1qGpiWXPN1BKg6nL