1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/9/20 4:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
z31maniac said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I would love to go the easy route with a Rotrex on the current engine, but the only available kit seems to need a lot of work to be reliable.

A centrifugal really wakes up the top end. Weird power curve for street use IMO, it's the hardest form of FI to use on the street in my experience. But if you want that MZR to want to pull to redline, it's the answer. We tested a couple of variants over the years.

That would be ok. I'm not much for driving too quickly on the street anyway. 

Side note, are there diff options for the NC? It seems like numerically lower rear end, not by a lot, would end up making the car a bit quicker since it would get to stay up top longer.........supercharger or a high comp 2.5 build........or combined! 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
8/9/20 5:43 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

I'm the weirdo who thinks the NC is better than the NA/NB. Thanks for posting.

You are not the only one. Me too. I have the PRHT which can look slightly  "odd" from certain angles but i like the look of that also. Bottom line........I like all generations of Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/9/20 6:07 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Keith Tanner said:
z31maniac said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I would love to go the easy route with a Rotrex on the current engine, but the only available kit seems to need a lot of work to be reliable.

A centrifugal really wakes up the top end. Weird power curve for street use IMO, it's the hardest form of FI to use on the street in my experience. But if you want that MZR to want to pull to redline, it's the answer. We tested a couple of variants over the years.

That would be ok. I'm not much for driving too quickly on the street anyway. 

Side note, are there diff options for the NC? It seems like numerically lower rear end, not by a lot, would end up making the car a bit quicker since it would get to stay up top longer.........supercharger or a high comp 2.5 build........or combined! 

Yes. I've seen (I think) 3.6 done. Guy named Puddymod was a driving force (har har) behind alternate diff options. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/9/20 6:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've only driven the 2.3. Effective but not entertaining. I can't remember if the 2.5 is an even longer stroke or if it has a larger bore. 

A fully built high compression 2.0 would be the interesting one to me. The brits have done a lot with that package. 

The 2.5 is the same deck height as the 2.3 and its bore AND stroke are larger.

A 2.3 crank in a 2.5 block is the hot starting point for 2.4l stock-component Midget rules.  Apparently you can make north of 330-340hp with such a beast with a certain (unported!) cylinder head.  As well as mechanical fuel injection and methanol, pistons, rods, cams that look like mountain ranges...

johndej
johndej Dork
8/10/20 8:39 p.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gehVC5MVbtkzwq6cFRStm8vmdRPh7UVvObZZQ4BYtUD2FNsrb67qXXPnu66IbIjN