1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 3:17 p.m.

Following me off Casco Point rd  was a neighbors Ferrari.  I didn't recognize it because it was dirty  and once at the stop sign I glanced into the rear view mirror and was shocked to see the pricing horse emblem.  
   It could only belong to one of two neighbors.  Most likely the guy who bought the lot on the point for 5 million plus the cost of the house recently built.   The other neighbor only paid 2.9 million. 

What does this mean?   Do Need to stop wearing grubby clothes long past their fashionable date expiration?    Do those  prints  on the wall need to be replaced with signed originals?  

Am I really required to keep clean fingernails, and drink expensive wines?  
   Worst of all am I required to sever my connections with Grass Roots Motorsports and stop working on my own cars?  

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/5/22 3:27 p.m.

LoL what? 

Most millionaires I know wear moderately inexpensive clothes like from Wal-Mart or Target and drink typical price alcohol and wine. Real life isnt the fancy snobby Disney image of rich people. Plenty millionaires here on GRM.

It means nothing.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 3:40 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Phew, I was beginning to worry since we have  nearby Ferrari, Maserati,  Aston Martin, And Bentley dealerships  plus the usual Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc dealerships.  
  When I was growing up you had to drive  all the way into Minneapolis to find a Chevy or Ford dealership. My Dad was the only one in our neighborhood with a new car every couple of years. Plus the first to own 2 cars.  

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/5/22 3:47 p.m.

Any millionaire willing todrive their Ferrari enough to get it grubby is one of us.  No need for change!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
8/5/22 3:56 p.m.

The "average" millionaire drives an F-150

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
8/5/22 4:16 p.m.

Don't rule out being a hanger-on-- maybe he's looking to put together an entourage. 

Always nice to have someone else you can count on to pick up the check!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 4:22 p.m.
calteg said:

Sigh.  Then I'm hopelessly doomed since that's what I drive.  
 Well? maybe he's a billionaire and I don't have to worry about keeping up?  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/5/22 4:45 p.m.

Clearly, this is a sign that you should break out some of that moldy cash and buy a Ferrari.  Nothing too fancy--a nice used one that you could get dirty.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/5/22 4:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

It makes you the smart one that bought at the right time.  Congrats and enjoy your life!  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/5/22 4:53 p.m.
yupididit said:

LoL what? 

Most millionaires I know wear moderately inexpensive clothes like from Wal-Mart or Target and drink typical price alcohol and wine. Real life isnt the fancy snobby Disney image of rich people. Plenty millionaires here on GRM.

It means nothing.

Honestly after watching people lease modern Ferrari's at incredibly small payments but with a ballon at the end I just look right past them now. A Dirty Ferrari though with tires that have proper wear on them, I like those sorts of people. 

I am very much a carhartt and costco shirt sort of guys, a local acquaintance in the car club is in the 10 digit club, due wears the same thing and a fanny pack. Which I rib him for. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/5/22 4:57 p.m.

For the vast majority of people actually driving Ferrari's, it's far more an indication of poor financial decision making than an indication of wealth.

A smaller story took place in my neighborhood.  The house next store sold for $80,000 over asking price (a few months ago), then a few weeks later, a house around the corner sold for $220,000 more than that!  Pretty much the same house, almost certainly a peak for a while.  The bazaar thing is I walk past the second house regularly and it's been unoccupied since sale and they have re-built all the fences, repainted the interior, seemingly replaced all the appliance and look to be building a deck in the back yard now!  Bascially a complete re-model, for a TOP price house.  I have no idea what is going on.

I am very close to the Rams in-season training facility, so maybe that?  Someone has a very low concern about spending "too much".

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 5:21 p.m.

You're dating yourself. The OP, and pretty much all of us here, are using the term "millionaire" to indicate someone of great wealth - like we did in the 1970-80s. Thing is, many people live in homes purchased at the very low end of six figures, and now that same home is worth well into seven digits. So, there are a Lot of "millionaires", but inflation has reduced its meaning to the point that it's nearly an empty statement nowadays.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 5:24 p.m.
aircooled said:

For the vast majority of people actually driving Ferrari's, it's far more an indication of poor financial decision making than an indication of wealth.

Based upon what I'm seeing on BaT, you buy any Ferrari or high end Porsche, sit on it for a few years, and make good money at auction. Hard to see how that was a poor financial decision.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/5/22 5:25 p.m.
aircooled said:

I am very close to the Rams in-season training facility, so maybe that?  Someone has a very low concern about spending "too much".

I dunno if it's still going on, but in the bay area 5 or 6 years ago there were a lot of houses being bought by overseas investors (mostly China) and then left vacant.  Supposedly it was a way for them to put money somewhere that the Chinese government couldn't get at it...

https://abc7news.com/real-estate-trade-show-buy-sell-american-properties/506609/

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 5:28 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
I dunno if it's still going on, but in the bay area 5 or 6 years ago there were a lot of houses being bought by overseas investors (mostly China) and then left vacant.  Supposedly it was a way for them to put money somewhere that the Chinese government couldn't get at it...

https://abc7news.com/real-estate-trade-show-buy-sell-american-properties/506609/

I remember back in the 1980s(?) people complaining that Asians were buying up Hawaii. I always wondered why these same people weren't complaining about the "Americans" who were all too happy to sell them the properties!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 5:35 p.m.
calteg said:

During my visit to Jay Leno's garage, he arrived driving a completely stock Chevy pickup. Not really surprising.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/5/22 6:31 p.m.
kb58 said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

I remember back in the 1980s(?) people complaining that Asians were buying up Hawaii. I always wondered why these same people weren't complaining about the "Americans" who were all too happy to sell them the properties!

I'm not complaining -- just mentioning a reason why someone might pay top dollar for a house and then leave it vacant.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 8:02 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Clearly, this is a sign that you should break out some of that moldy cash and buy a Ferrari.  Nothing too fancy--a nice used one that you could get dirty.

Not my style.  Far rather find some moldy old bits and turn them into a Ferrari tribute or something. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
8/5/22 8:04 p.m.

Shade tree mechanic hanging out with the ferrari crowd. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
8/5/22 8:23 p.m.

If I had a house on a lake worth drastically more than I paid I would do one of two things:

1) enjoy the lake even more

2) sell it and take the profit 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/5/22 8:58 p.m.

Nuff said...

Jay Leno Stops To Use Mechanic Skills On Stranded Man's 1953 Mercedes

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 9:06 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

It makes you the smart one that bought at the right time.  Congrats and enjoy your life!  

Truth be told I picked that Lake because of all the fond memories I had. Not because of any finical genius on my part. 
  That and once I saw that I was onto something I simply hung on through all the ups and downs  of my life.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
8/5/22 9:10 p.m.

Ferraris are cool...  but a V12 Jag is classier wink

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 9:16 p.m.

You're too kind.  But truth be told I envy a Ferrari's screaming exhaust note at full serious chat  chasing or being chased for a silver cup.  
 Jaguar is simply an affordable way to still  play that game.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/5/22 9:32 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

If I had a house in a lake worth drastically more than I paid I would do one of two things:

1) enjoy the lake even more

2) sell it and take the profit 

At my age even with the lake at my front door  a short walk away I need to be selective  of when  I go boating.  
  My wife can no longer step onto even the pontoon  and any waves prevent her from accessing it at all. 
   It matters little, near a lifetime of cruising upon these waters has imprinted on my brain  the pleasures to be found.  
 Last year we used the pontoon only 6.5 hours or so.  This year it's doubtful we'll even use it that much.  
  But I enjoy the morning call of a loon seeking its mate or children.  Watching families boating or swimming  in the bay.

The sounds of neighbors children or grand children playing.  Eagles ghosting along on a breeze looking for its next meal. Or fish leasurly swimming under the dock

My wife loves watching the flock of geese training to form the V they will fly in this fall, in the lake until the drill instructor lead goose is satisfied.  She then heads into the wind with the whole great flock behind her taking off as she does.  A day or two later they are headed south to warmer weather and trees will shed the leaves that have been changing color all fall. 
Maybe you can tell the love I have for this lake? 
  Profit?  Why?  I'm not an accountant who's goal in life is to tally more numbers then someone else.   This is the only life I will get.  My goal is to enjoy the gifts  and be thankful for them.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x95A70jE7SPwZ5NDFkufrksYLPCgJbe3rueXBq6XG33ilVOfvsU2NuGWhRG6siPs