Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/7/21 12:28 p.m.

Probably at least a dozen times by now...

Anyway we added #4 to the family this week. I helped our son-in-law find/buy an 09 manual - which is the first manual Fit in the stable - so I had to line up the 3 that are here for a family pic. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/7/21 12:40 p.m.

There's some that are regular autocross competitors that run Fits locally. I've been impressed. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/7/21 12:54 p.m.

I really miss my little orange 18. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/7/21 12:59 p.m.

Rather diverse in the colors. devil

Which one is the son in law's? 

Knowing what you were shopping for, a Fit is a great choice.   Or, a great Fit.  Also harnesses the power of "what you know" and your experience with the model.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/7/21 3:30 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Which one is the son in law's?

the '09.  which is the one in the middle (GE8 / 2nd gen), flanked by a 1st gen to the right (GD3) and a 3rd gen to left (GK)

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/7/21 4:46 p.m.

In the head-on shot the newest one really looks like a shrunken Odyssey

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/7/21 5:26 p.m.

I like them as well but have no itention of ever  buying one.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/7/21 6:36 p.m.

I really REALLY like them.   Except for that A pillar window.  If/when I own a Fit, I'm blacking that thing out so it doesn't throw reflections of lane stripes on the windshield.  One of our loaners is a '13, and I spent a few hundred miles driving it last year while my Volvo was being mechanically contrary.  Even the manual shift option on the automatics works well.  (flappy paddles!)

You could say that the car is a perfect.... fit?  *raises pinky to mouth*

johndej
johndej Dork
3/7/21 6:44 p.m.

Loving ours, TIL that the wife's daily will fit alongside one of the miatas in the garage (thought the other miata will continue to occupy that place).

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 5:49 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've lost vehicles behind the A-pillar of our old 09(not pictured) before. You definitely have to get used to looking/checking around it for other vehicles. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/8/21 8:13 a.m.

I'm really glad that I'm in like-minded company. I had a 2013 that got totaled, but I replaced it with a 2015 model.

Both served me very well commuting to and from my parent's house, college, work, and even my girlfriend's house before we got married and living together.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the more modern feeling GK5, but I do miss that GE8 sometimes.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/8/21 8:18 a.m.

I owned both a first and second gen. The GD3 felt like it had more character, it was much more tossable. I was a little disappointed by highway MPGs, my best tank was 39mpg

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/8/21 9:08 a.m.

I regret selling my '13 when I did, it was a great little car. I was doing ~1.5 hours of freeway commuting daily and it was a bit buzzy and the seats were uncomfortable for my 6'3" frame; if I were to do it again, I would have torn apart the interior to do extra sound deadening and paid the price for a Recaro driver's seat. I tried to replace it with an Accord and then a GTI that both ended up being headaches and ended up wasting a lot of money.

Having driven them all I'm of the opinion that the GE8 (2nd Gen) is the best compromise of the three generations as far as fun to drive vs comfort, but all three certainly have their strengths.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/8/21 9:50 a.m.

Had the Fits grandparents 

1986 Wagovan civic 4wd and 1991 Civic Wagovan 4wd. Was such excellent peppy cars. 

was close to buying a first gen Fit when it was new, as my sister as the Honda Jazz in non USDM spec. My mom ended up getting one. Still has it 388k miles. Don't care for the mexico built Fits - tons of problems documented on Fitfreak forums 

these days I enjoy our Tsx wagon 2012. Fantastic machine 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/8/21 9:52 a.m.

I saw one for $400 on Facebook marketplace, I missed it by a hour. Was looking to convert it to scca B-Spec.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/8/21 10:13 a.m.
calteg said:

I owned both a first and second gen. The GD3 felt like it had more character, it was much more tossable. I was a little disappointed by highway MPGs, my best tank was 39mpg

Gearing... it's all in the gearing.. what makes the Fit fun and peppy is the short gearing.. and it kills the highway MPG. BUT, because the motors are so tiny.. you average great MPG all the time

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/8/21 11:28 a.m.

Family bought a '08 in August 2008 and it now has 155k miles, bought it off Dad last summer and it's great.

Had a 2013 back in '13-14 and it was a great car as well.

the 2nd gen is the best IMHO. good balance of build quality combined with the least amount of issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4UMRgHpjuxNH120RJ481AHzPqPxCAnPIrffIdGID52SArWebaYyxF4PN3tBMrRl