_
_ Reader
2/1/19 10:04 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFX_Xq9WHTI

hopefully not a repost, first I’m hearing of it.wink

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/1/19 11:21 p.m.

First thing i did was check the upload date. Sure enough..

_
_ Reader
2/1/19 11:23 p.m.

Pretty sure those are mattress springs.  Ironically, there are a few google results of someone asking “what cars have engine springs” on quora.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
2/2/19 12:11 a.m.

That's so fake!  *Everybody* knows that the piston return springs are tension springs, and they get installed from the crankshaft side! My car has super high tension piston return springs (for more power). While I was in there, I added a second power band. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/2/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

Do you know of a Challenge friendly way to do  the super high tension springs? I need to get the stock 108 HP up to 400, or better to have any chance against the Nelsons. 292 HP for less than twenty bucks would be AWESOME!

_
_ Reader
2/2/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

Bro! It’s as easy as going double piston spring per cylinder. Have a look in the stickies for the mod. 

Side note: pretty sure my wife used this term one time when trying to explain to me what she thought I was doing to my engine. I remember laughing hysterically, and her walking away angry after calling me a condescending ass. Lol. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/2/19 11:13 a.m.

Checks calendar.  Nope, not April 1. 

?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
2/2/19 11:58 a.m.

IIRC, they had to quit using the top mounted piston return springs when they got away from the flathead engine design. They had problems bending over head valves. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/2/19 6:14 p.m.

They must burn up over time.    Never found any when I pulled the head.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/2/19 6:40 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Running a hot plug, common problem from the 60z

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/2/19 8:38 p.m.

That was pretty great and well done. I liked all the details like the labels on the boxes, etc. Also that he shot it while doing something that really needed done, a head gasket.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXLe9mU5pFEhLPK2ekBkaqoEqTYy3Ekx934pqb1OdGaedHKa6HNgvnEIviCTtmZL