1 2 3 4
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/23/09 12:35 p.m.
Wally wrote: Only by my mother in law. She wants to know why I always drive like I'm trying to outrun a sheriff.

That reminds me of Valantines day. At the end of the night out in Vestal we are on 17/I-86 and the future M-I-L calls us just as I'm just about to pass her. Brianne tries to tell her mother that we just passed her and she didn't get it till I started swerving to get her attention. After that I'm getting yelled at to slow down over my fiances cell. I was 5-10 over on the interstate and there was no traffic. I said berkeley that and sped-up to get out of her line of site

Jake
Jake HalfDork
2/23/09 12:41 p.m.

I was going to post this on here the other day, but didn't know whether I was overreacting or not.

There's a kid in my neighborhood who insists on riding his motorcycle in/out of the neighborhood at 55-60mph, if not more- full on 45-degree-plus lean right in front of my house. I could almost ignore it when his bike had the stock pipe on it. Since he's changed over to the most annoying exhaust available for his bike, though, all the sudden it's REALLY annoying. I feel so much like the guy in the Celica GTS commercial from a few years back- "Slow DOWN, this is a NEIGHBORHOOD!" I know he's not really giving it all it's got, either- I can hear that (oh, joy...) when he opens it all the way on the highway that borders my property in the rear. Pretty sure I can actually hear him coming/going from a mile away.

Most all the houses in here are 100 yards back from the road, though, so there's little danger to kids, etc. (mine have been/ are being taught that 50' from the road is close enough), but that guy is going to get caught by somebody's dog one day (or hit a patch of gravel and slide out), and him, the dog, and the bike will all be the worse for wear from it. I just hope he doesn't wrap himself around one of my trees. I'd hate to lose a tree to a squid.

As for me, I don't think I've been yelled at to slow down in the last 10 years or so. I'm probably doing something wrong. The open-headered street-ported RX7 that I used to have probably just drowned out the complaints, though. :)

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/23/09 12:42 p.m.
Jay wrote: There was a speed limit vigilante in London, Ont. when I used to live there. His house (presumably) was on a section of fairly busy road that ran over a bridge, then up and back down hill. In this section it had to be narrowed to one lane in either direction just because there was nowhere to build extra lanes. Nowhere to pass, solid yellow the whole way. (Riverside Dr. between Wonderland and Woodward Ave. for anyone who has been there.) I presume this guy was retired with nothing to do because he would spend literally hours every day acting as the "pace car" up that section of the street, rigidly sticking to the underposted 50 km/h limit. He would get to the part where the street widened back into four lanes, turn around, and go off pacing the other direction.

I do not purposely go out to hold up traffic.. but the road I live on is 50mph the whole EXCEPT for the 2 mile stretch I live on.. where it is 25mph. The stretch I live on is bound by stop signs on either side, so it is not like you have to slow down, you have to stop, cross a state highway, and then proceed.

people doing 50 would not bother me... except most of them do about 60, it is a heavily built up section (the rest is woods) and I live on the inside of the ONLY turn on the road. I have already lost a fence, and my neighbor on the outside has lost three cars, 2 trees, and a dumpster from people going to fast and not even realising there is a corner there.

recently I lost power for a couple of hours on one of the coldest days of the year when some idiot took out the pole that feeds my place.

so.. I will purposely do 25mph the entire length of the road. It is a no passing area.. and people still pass me and they usually give me the finger. What is worse, many of these idiots who are in such a hurry, live on this same road. They will pass me, slow down, and pull into their driveways.

yuejals
yuejals New Reader
2/23/09 1:17 p.m.
Armitage wrote: If I had a dollar for every time I've been at a TSD rally and some irate local has come out and started shouting at the poor checkpoint workers... The best line I heard was at an event in the mountains of Vermont when a local came out shouting, "Why don't you just go back to your shopping malls?!"

Ah yes, I can relate: in the very short time that I have been road rallying, I can remember the cops 1) arriving at a checkpoint responding to a call from a well-meaning resident believing there there was an accident, and 2) arrive at a checkpoint suspecting that a drug deal was happening.

I remember participating in a road rally out in the middle of cornfields when I noticed one of the rally cars, a beat up Honda, nearly stopped ahead of me with an angry man standing on the side of the road waving something. What had happened was that the rally car before had blitzed down the road in an attempt to make up for lost time; this man then grabbed a pair of hedge clippers and attempted to stop and threaten the guys in the Honda, who were cruising along at a steady 40mph.

Raze
Raze Reader
2/23/09 1:42 p.m.

Got yelled at in my Ford Ranger in 1st in the parking deck doing a whopping 8-10 MPH, unfortunatley my 5-speed's 1st gear is short as hell so she's screamin ;) I just parked and laughed, but I still enter in 1st cause otherwise I'm just barely lugging 2nd, or I'm going 15-20MPH which is just too damn fast...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
2/23/09 1:56 p.m.

I got yelled at by a dude to slow down. . . going 25 in a 40 passing his family. . .Apparently 15 under the limit is too fast?

kreb
kreb Dork
2/23/09 3:12 p.m.

I had someone do a high speed pass in front of my house after leaving a suspected drug dealer's place. At the end of the block he turned around and started to do the same coming back. My neighbor pulled his car out so that it blocked the street, and when the druggie's car came to a stop, we confronted him. He backed off, but what's really sad is that he had a young child in the back.

Another time I was blasting down a fire road on my mountain bike. I was going past a hiker with lots of room to spare, and he not only yells at me to slow down, but he lunges towards me like he was going to give me a shove. I came millimeters away from crashing. Was so pissed, but by the time I had composed myself I'd gone another 1/4 mile, and didn't want to expend the energy riding back up to him to tell him off.

I drove more slowly around town after I did track days. Got it out of my system, I guess.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
2/23/09 3:16 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Call me an a-hole, but it seems to me it's a parent's responsibility to teach their kids to stay out of the street (and enforce it). When I grew up my mommy and daddy taught me that cars hurt really, really bad.

No need to call names, you seem like a nice guy.

See the little girl here?

See the brick mansion mailbox in the background?

A 16 year-old girl just took the corner this winter and smashed it to pieces. (I actually don't like these brick mailboxes)

Last year another kid took out my neighbor's tree. And two years ago the other neighbor had someone slide into his tree.

(Look at just left of the four bushes and see the tree in the parkway on the angle)

Shouldn't my daughter be allowed to ride the sidewalks in safety? Just slow down in neighborhoods.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
2/23/09 3:44 p.m.

This crap happens to me all the time. There is a school bus stop about a block away from the house and a stop sign just past that. I leave for work when all the kids are getting to the bust stop so I definitely don't drive fast through there, maybe I'll get up to twenty but usually below that because I have to stop at the stop sign anyway. Three mornings in a row last month I had a mother jumping up and down motioning me to slow down and I started to get aggravated. On the fourth morning there she was again jumping around like an idiot and I was pissed I wanted so bad to tell her off but I guess I'm getting weak in my old age. So I did the only thing that seamed logical at the time, one of the biggest fwd burnouts I've ever done leaving the stop sign. After that I decided to just leave for work a bit later so I wouldn't be tempted to do something really stupid.

With the state of mind I've been in lately though if this had been a man I probably would just jump out punch him in the throat and continue to beat him bloody until the cops hauled me off. I'm getting so sick of dealing with idiots

captainzib
captainzib Reader
2/23/09 4:10 p.m.

I like to seafoam my car in my own neighborhood, and also will test my car after putting parts on, or taking parts off, (CAT), and I've yet to be yelled at. Though I have been yelled at in all the same scenarios you guys have posted in other neighborhoods.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/23/09 4:28 p.m.
Jake wrote: There's a kid in my neighborhood who insists on riding his motorcycle in/out of the neighborhood at 55-60mph, if not more- full on 45-degree-plus lean right in front of my house

i have a solution for you..

round gravel that you "accidentally" spill on the corner

ps, this is also a good time to stack a few bags of manure for your garden between your house and the road.

pps, have a camera ready, it should be pretty funny.

Vito82
Vito82 New Reader
2/23/09 4:41 p.m.

yes

Jay
Jay HalfDork
2/23/09 4:56 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I do not purposely go out to hold up traffic.. but the road I live on is 50mph the whole EXCEPT for the 2 mile stretch I live on.. where it is 25mph. The stretch I live on is bound by stop signs on either side, so it is not like you have to slow down, you have to stop, cross a state highway, and then proceed. people doing 50 would not bother me... except most of them do about 60, it is a heavily built up section (the rest is woods) and I live on the inside of the ONLY turn on the road. I have already lost a fence, and my neighbor on the outside has lost three cars, 2 trees, and a dumpster from people going to fast and not even realising there is a corner there. recently I lost power for a couple of hours on one of the coldest days of the year when some idiot took out the pole that feeds my place. so.. I will purposely do 25mph the entire length of the road. It is a no passing area.. and people still pass me and they usually give me the finger. What is worse, many of these idiots who are in such a hurry, live on this same road. They will pass me, slow down, and pull into their driveways.

I have no problem with that, but this guy would literally drive laps up and down the same stretch of road for hours all day, almost every day. I saw him doing it many, many times. There's a point where being a "concerned citizen" becomes being a "public nuicance", and this guy crossed that point so hard he warped space-time. Not to mention the turn-around manouver he would do in the middle of an intersection across four lanes of traffic was illegal as anything and probably more dangerous than any number of speeders.

The natural speed of that road without his meddling is probably 60-70 km/h but of course there are always a few yokels who treat it like Pike's Peak.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
2/23/09 5:06 p.m.

I have the same thing happen to me all the time. I frequently get yelled at for 25 in a 30. I actually had a woman run out into the middle of the street and stand in front of me forcing me to stop once. It's gotten so bad that I don't drive my Miata through the neighborhood anymore. (Fortunately, I live on the back side of the neighborhood, so I can enter from the back and only have to pass about 6-8 houses to get to mine.)

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
2/23/09 5:23 p.m.

I get people yelling at me to slow down in my X1/9 pretty often. I think it is because the fine italian machine is up in the rev range compared to most cars, so it just SOUNDS like it is going fast. Even if we are not.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
2/23/09 6:20 p.m.

I have yelled, even pulled a kid out of his Jeep once (you thought no doors were cool huh?) but never been yelled at that I could hear. I am very good in neighborhoods and densly populated areas, although I suspect some people out on the highway probably have yelled at me as I sped by.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/23/09 7:46 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Now that's funny. I got yelled at once a long time ago in my V8 RX7 when I actually was going a bit above the speed limit. I pulled into a gas station and some guy in an SUV pulled in and yelled at me for going too fast. I shrugged and continued to fill up the car. He kept on, so I said "buddy, my car will stop and turn better at 100 than your truck will at 30, so I think I'm much safer to be on the road with if I'm only doing 50 than you are at the speed limit. So kindly STFU." Then I turned and ignored him. But that was long ago. I'm sure, though, that if loud is what does it, then my current car is bound to get yelled at in my quiet neighborhood even when going the speed limit: video of it taking off...

as I recall that defense got someone off of a VERY large speeding fine over in Europe... the "my car is built for these conditions and therefore is safe to do so"...

that being said... I do drive a little more carefuly then my van... i know the van isn't going to turn as quickly or stop as well

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
2/23/09 10:03 p.m.

Constantly.

I get told by my Mom to slow down every time she's in the car with me, no matter what I'm driving and no matter that I'm at the speed limit or lower, my Dad wonders why I don't like taking Mom to the store...

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/24/09 1:01 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Jake wrote: There's a kid in my neighborhood who insists on riding his motorcycle in/out of the neighborhood at 55-60mph, if not more- full on 45-degree-plus lean right in front of my house
i have a solution for you.. round gravel that you "accidentally" spill on the corner ps, this is also a good time to stack a few bags of manure for your garden between your house and the road. pps, have a camera ready, it should be pretty funny.

I hope you're kidding, right? That's a good way to kill someone, squid boy or not. Find someone with a P-71 to follow him for a while. Scare the crap out of him a few times like that and he's likly to find a different route.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
2/24/09 3:45 a.m.
Jake wrote: I'd hate to lose a tree to a squid.

That is wilder than hell! Woooo!

Wowak
Wowak Dork
2/24/09 3:45 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: So you revved the motor to 7000 rpm, dumped the clutch, and the Miata gave a very subtle chirp while bucking up the road? I love those cars. "I hope you choke on all 95 rear wheel horsepower!"

Forunately I was on old, hard, bald Azenis 215s at the time. Lit 'em up half-way decent.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
2/24/09 8:53 a.m.

I considered the gravel thing for about .000082 seconds. Mostly because there's a patch of fine gravel out at the end of the driveway and there's always some of it in the road there anyway, so I'd have at least a semblance of deniability. Next thought, though, was "man, that would suck to have that on my conscience."

I don't want the guy to get hurt, I just want him to slow down before he hurts himself or somebody else. Oh, and to quit waking up my kids from their afternoon naps with his screaming exhaust.

I'm not yet 30, and I feel like I should be out in the yard waving my cane at the whippersnapper.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/24/09 9:13 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Apexcarver wrote:
i have a solution for you.. round gravel that you "accidentally" spill on the corner ps, this is also a good time to stack a few bags of manure for your garden between your house and the road. pps, have a camera ready, it should be pretty funny.
I hope you're kidding, right? That's a good way to kill someone, squid boy or not. Find someone with a P-71 to follow him for a while. Scare the crap out of him a few times like that and he's likly to find a different route.

yes, i was kidding.. ive laid a moped down on asphalt while going 35mph and have the scars to prove it.

i stated it for comedic effect and should have probly given more sign that i wasnt actually instructing anyone to do that.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/24/09 9:20 a.m.

^^ If you can hear him coming a mile away, run out there with a camera and try to get a plate # - Show said photo to your local LEO and let them deal with him. The biker will probably notice you snapping photos and get the hint that he might get in trouble if he continues to speed by your house. Way more effective than waving a cane.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/24/09 10:15 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Now that's funny. I got yelled at once a long time ago in my V8 RX7 when I actually was going a bit above the speed limit. I pulled into a gas station and some guy in an SUV pulled in and yelled at me for going too fast. I shrugged and continued to fill up the car. He kept on, so I said "buddy, my car will stop and turn better at 100 than your truck will at 30, so I think I'm much safer to be on the road with if I'm only doing 50 than you are at the speed limit. So kindly STFU." Then I turned and ignored him.

My girlfriend is a really nervous passenger, and almost always bitches about me driving too fast in the E30 (even when going the speed limit or a couple MPH above). But last night she was complaining that I was going too slow while driving the speed limit in a '98 Taurus. I don't get it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FXUSsrjoiHFywgN7iGB5b53dBg8XCauIChkZYQAzQUpduFqb3gPFnUR3Ghem54la