1 2 3
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 8:23 p.m.

Everybody has one. That one car that from the moment you saw it just reached down into your gut and took root. Even though you knew you would never be able to afford one, you kept thinking about it. 

For most of us on here, it was probably a Ferrari or a Porsche, or maybe a Lamborghini. Maybe it was an Aston or something sporty.

Not me. From the first time I saw one, I've wanted a Bentley Turbo R. I love big cars. I love everything about them. Rolls Royce and Bentley have always been the crown jewels of the big car makers and the Turbo R was king as far as I was concerned. Beautiful lines. Lovely leather. Quick for such a big beast. Just an awesome car. I keep my eyes out for them but they are frequently either extremely expensive or in poor shape. 

Until today. At 6:15 pm today I laid eyes on a 1991 emerald green Bently Turbo R with a saddle leather tan interior. At 6:25 I took it for a test drive. Maybe it was the rose-colored glasses, maybe it was dreams of a younger man, but it was everything I knew it could be. If the cash had been in my pocket, I would have handed it over with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. 

Bentley 2.jpg

Bentley 1.jpg

IMG_20220831_181538.jpg

Cosmetically this car is as close to perfect as it can get and still be 30+ years old with 124k miles on the odometer. Original paint, original interior. Garage kept its entire life. While not perfect, it is a 9/10 car. 

The emerald green may be the perfect color for one of these and the finish is as deep as the ocean. Just beautiful. 

Mechanically it runs well. The only real issue is the power seats don't work. It also needs a tune-up and some brake work. It pulls to one side under braking. 

I'm 99.9% certain I will be buying it tomorrow unless my wife murders me in my sleep tonight. 

I'll let you know for sure by the afternoon. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
8/31/22 8:29 p.m.

Yes.

And it is sporty.

Sweet car!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
8/31/22 8:32 p.m.

Unless my wife murders me in my sleep....god that is a familiar worry. She is a nurse and would have been a huge help to Heisenberg. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/31/22 8:34 p.m.

Good for you - does this murder tonight involve a large insurance payout for her dream kitchen (or car or boat)?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/31/22 8:34 p.m.

Nope.

Miura are investment grade cars now.

M1 is too.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I'm going to try to make that deal before she knifes me. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/31/22 8:39 p.m.

How odd if the murder really happened tonight and it was all documented on a car forum.  

Good luck getting to sleep tonight. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/31/22 8:42 p.m.

I don't know a whole lot about Bentleys, but I do know that brake work on a Rolls can set you back a bunch of Quarter Pounders. 

I'm sure you're aware of that sort of thing, and thus, I fully support your folly.

That's a stunning automobile. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/31/22 8:55 p.m.

Check in with us tomorrow, so we know how this develops. 

Modest aspiration for me, just wanted a WRX Wagon. Then I bought an unmodified one from the original owner early in 2020. Six months of ownership was six months too long. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
8/31/22 8:58 p.m.

DO IT! That R looks clean!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Some parts are pretty expensive, but most of the wearables are reasonable. I was surprised to see the calipers are only $110. 

The brakes mostly feel like the system needs to be bled. That could mean a leak but I'm pretty sure I can handle whatever the problem is. 

The seats are another story. It has a seat/mirror ecu that has apparently failed. It's $4300. I have a BIL who's brother specializes in repairing old German and European electronics. I will probably get him to look at it. Until then I will adjust the seat manually and leave it there. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/31/22 9:05 p.m.

<fx: impatiently waiting for the build thread>

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/31/22 9:06 p.m.

Have you shopped tires??? !!!

I just looked on TRack and they have just one offering from Avon Tire but even that tire seems to be out of stock until Nov.  Price shown: $486 each/ $1,900 for 4

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
8/31/22 9:06 p.m.

That is a gorgeous, and cool, car!!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 9:09 p.m.

Well I found the seat ECU for $460. So that's a good sign. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 9:11 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah well, you got to love a tire called Turbospeed. Even if it does cost more than the last set of Hoosiers I bought. laugh

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/31/22 9:13 p.m.

$170,000 when new. I've always loved them. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/31/22 9:16 p.m.

I would like to say if you sell Rolls and Bentley parts and named your business Flying Spares, you are brilliant. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/31/22 9:41 p.m.

Yes a 1991 Corvette ZR-1; never meet your heroes.  Part of me still wants a Lotus Elise.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
8/31/22 11:49 p.m.

Very cool. What's it like to drive?

I'm not sure I have a singular "dream" car, but there are certainly a lot I'd like to drive and experience even if that doesn't mean owning them necessarily. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/31/22 11:51 p.m.

I've driven one of my dream cars, and that would be a Scat Pack Widebody Challenger. That car is more than enough for me. I got the privilege to review one, and I put it through its paces. I still haven't gotten that out of my system. That car just does it for me. 

But BUYING one? I can say yes, twice. One of them was my 2002 WRX wagon. Straight from the Gran Turismo games to my driveway, it was awesome and I still miss it. The other was my 1979 Trans Am. That however is still not in "dream car" condition, so the jury's still out. 

That Turbo R is cool. I hope you buy it so we can all live vicariously through your awesomeness! 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
9/1/22 12:51 a.m.

It's a sexy beast!

Hope your wife lets you see the sunrise-not everybody gets to buy their dream car.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
9/1/22 6:00 a.m.

It's 6am.  Are you still breathing?  Is the film crew from The First 48 outside your door?  No??  Good.  Go get that bad boy, and insist that it come with a bottle of Grey Poupon .

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
9/1/22 6:02 a.m.

As for my own dream car, with my habit of buying/selling, yes I've crossed several off my bucket list.  

Next up...if the $$$ allows...Lotus Elise, Subaru XT/XT6, Starion/Conquest

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 6:24 a.m.

I survived the night so that is a plus. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
izXVguigSSU32JNEzNvU0e8uyTfhFOTFvgN6QTOX7a0Pxd89Ha0yIWe1E40INs4z